amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine it's much more difficult to get an ice storm when there's no snow on the ground.  Wouldn't a snow base provide for a cooler lower layer or does it not have much bearing on what's taking place at branch level?

Well the December 2008 ice storm had no snow on the ground...ditto November 16, 2002. Not sure about the November 1921 ice storm.

The model changes for next week have been nothing short of astounding since Monday. Monday morning featured a classic SE ridge with a -PNA teleconnection. Today where is a SE trough :lol:

I think it all stemmed from ther strong Aleutian ridge breaking and causing the trough in the west to pinch off with some of the energy cutting SW towards Hawaii and therefore a much weaker western trough. Now we have a high amplitude wave pattern of ridge-trough-ridge-trough etc that is helping to cause the area of low pressure over the east. Still a high spread in the Pacific so perhaps we aren't done with the rollercoaster.

The model changes for next week have been nothing short of astounding since Monday. Monday morning featured a classic SE ridge with a -PNA teleconnection. Today where is a SE trough :lol:

I think it all stemmed from ther strong Aleutian ridge breaking and causing the trough in the west to pinch off with some of the energy cutting SW towards Hawaii and therefore a much weaker western trough. Now we have a high amplitude wave pattern of ridge-trough-ridge-trough etc that is helping to cause the area of low pressure over the east. Still a high spread in the Pacific so perhaps we aren't done with the rollercoaster.

Things are so complex and convoluted in the North Pacific I really think it's a wait an see kind of deal but the normal "teleconnections" may not be very useful in the D7-D15 period forecasting. Lots of weird stuff happening in the Pac with very high amplitudes and very little stability to the pattern. 

Cool stuff - will be fun to watch.

Throw in the chaos of whatever coastal some models are trying to develop in the middle of it all next week, and were in big trouble as forecasters haha. 

Yes, the retrogression of the trough from the PAC NW (toward Hawaii) has allowed for a temporary ridge to bump up in the Rockies preceding the modeled storm next week...whether or not the storm happens depends on additional factors, but one of the reasons it is appearing more on different guidance is definitely the PAC NW trough retrogression (and cutoff) and the coupled downstream Rockies ridge.

Things are so complex and convoluted in the North Pacific I really think it's a wait an see kind of deal but the normal "teleconnections" may not be very useful in the D7-D15 period forecasting. Lots of weird stuff happening in the Pac with very high amplitudes and very little stability to the pattern. 

Yes, the retrogression of the trough from the PAC NW (toward Hawaii) has allowed for a temporary ridge to bump up in the Rockies preceding the modeled storm next week...whether or not the storm happens depends on additional factors, but one of the reasons it is appearing more on different guidance is definitely the PAC NW trough retrogression (and cutoff) and the coupled downstream Rockies ridge.

Check your PMs.

Speak for yourself I'm living a nightmare watching this unfold here lol! 

BTW it's interesting that in the last few days several different resorts changed their approach.  A few were pushing for openings towards the later prat of the month or weren't planning on making much snow I presume based on the warmer weather pending.  About 24-36 hours ago I noticed places like Loon went full on with the snowmaking and are now planning on 10 or so trails this weekend.  Seems like their forecasters are maybe thinking it's not a lost cause to lay down snow now.

Yeah next week's cold (wet bulbs in the teens at elevation) with sub -10C 850 air... any modern snowmaking equipment will bury a trail.

We'll probably just stockpile huge tailing piles under the guns and let that sit without opening it up and pushing it around.  A 10-foot high pile will survive much better than a widespread 1 foot covering just based on what's exposed to the air. 

lol fair point. When I get to work this weekend I may have a different take.

To be fair I actually will enjoy having something to track for a change while doing my job...but lets just say temp outlooks havent been too great of late...for your sake, maybe things will get sorted out better by the weekend you can hope

Yeah next week's cold (wet bulbs in the teens at elevation) with sub -10C 850 air... any modern snowmaking equipment will bury a trail.

We'll probably just stockpile huge tailing piles under the guns and let that sit without opening it up and pushing it around. A 10-foot high pile will survive much better than a widespread 1 foot covering just based on what's exposed to the air.

Think it'll be crowded this weekend? I would like to see a major system evolve on the east coast. Would really allow you guys all to pummel the trails.

Pretty excited about what looks to be a favorable early season situation despite a potential mild up.

I do think the chances of a more eastward or progressive solution are greater, but that's a potent disturbance. If that even has a hair follicle of room to amplify...watch out.

Yep. I agree. I think a better shot for us is if the ULL in Canada stays a little further north than progged by the GFS...which certainly is a trend that would be more likely than the other way around IMHO. Its such a bizarre setup that I would expect a lot of different looking solutions by different guidance over the next few days as the trainwreck in the N PAC is sorted out.

Yep. I agree. I think a better shot for us is if the ULL in Canada stays a little further north than progged by the GFS...which certainly is a trend that would be more likely than the other way around IMHO. Its such a bizarre setup that I would expect a lot of different looking solutions by different guidance over the next few days as the trainwreck in the N PAC is sorted out.

Yeah and you can see on the euro, the ULL just scoots NE with plenty of time for the bottom half of that trough to dig for oil.

Feels refreshing to actually talk synoptics for once.

Just drag some cold out here. That's all I ask.

Amazing all of the hype this is getting in mainstream media... several people at work already asking and I had said nothing.

Social media FTL...I cringe at how much attention a 180 hour storm was getting yesterday. There was a time very recently when you'd be laughed off the forum for trying to take that seriously.

There's definitely a signal for cold and a muddier looking signal for a system...but its so far out that getting more specific is silly. I'd probably just say its going to be quite cold and there is an outside potential for some wintry precip if things break right next week and leave it at that in terms of telling anything to the public.

Social media FTL...I cringe at how much attention a 180 hour storm was getting yesterday. There was a time very recently when you'd be laughed off the forum for trying to take that seriously.

You may still be laughed at taking that seriously, lol.  I think folks in the northeast weather world are just that bored and antsy for something to happen that it could get out of control quickly if some sort of event were to take place.  Even a 6-inch snowfall would likely be hyped into something monstrous with the way folks are just itching for some weather to talk/hype up. 

Archived