• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

Yes, the rate of change definitely has the highest correlation versus just overall extent. We did very well in overall extent for Eurasion snow cover this October...it was 4th highest....but the rate of change was pretty subdued.

There are some very different thoughts in the research about regions and extent versus rate of change. Those papers have made a point in there presentations. I have not seen correlation comparisons between the research , where could I find that?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This area is so dry it's not even funny. Actual streams are literally drying up in November.

Seems like the forcing is coming from a pretty solid area of DCVA - as soon as that sniffs the low static stability out over the warm ocean the convection and pressure drops should go to town. Probably "robs" us of a lot of the moisture tomorrow. 

Seems like the forcing is coming from a pretty solid area of DCVA - as soon as that sniffs the low static stability out over the warm ocean the convection and pressure drops should go to town. Probably "robs" us of a lot of the moisture tomorrow.

Models have been insistent on that secondary band just east of here. Really weird to see this type of dryness in November.

There are some very different thoughts in the research about regions and extent versus rate of change. Those papers have made a point in there presentations. I have not seen correlation comparisons between the research , where could I find that?

Well, on page 2 of the Cohen et al study, they compare the Snow Advance Index versus the Snow Cover Index and show the r values for each over time...clearly the SAI does better:

http://www.seas.harvard.edu/climate/seminars/pdfs/CohenandJones_GRL11.pdf

The Snow Cover Index (total October snow cover in Eurasia) still does well, but just not as well as the SAI.

As our favorite member would say "drought begets drought"

IDK about that but we need to break the pattern and what better way than with a block buster snowstorm. At some point it will precip consistently hopefully sooner than later. Brush fires are on the uptick.Still tons of dead wood around from the parade of storms in the last two years, with all vegetation dead, dry air and wind its a potentially dangerous time.

Models have been insistent on that secondary band just east of here. Really weird to see this type of dryness in November.

Yeah I see 2 rivers in CT at record low levels for the day.

As for that second band... it's pretty strange looking but all models have it. The higher res models really like it. 

To say that the medium range forecast is complicated would be an understatement.

There are some very interesting interactions going on in the eastern Pacific a couple of days before the GFS forecasted snowstorm ... which by the way, originates from the PV filament across BC and Alberta. 

I can't begin to discuss the full evolution of things here, except to say that all of this connects to multiple significant extratropical cyclogenesis events northeast of Japan in the next 3 days.

post-128-0-49253900-1383788999_thumb.gif

To say that the medium range forecast is complicated would be an understatement.

There are some very interesting interactions going on in the eastern Pacific a couple of days before the GFS forecasted snowstorm ... which by the way, originates from the PV filament across BC and Alberta. 

I can't begin to discuss the full evolution of things here, except to say that all of this connects to multiple significant extratropical cyclogenesis events northeast of Japan in the next 3 days.

attachicon.gifdtpres_npac_75.gif

Surfs up

Goal, but I wil not banter or even talk about it anymore.

Most impressive GFS run of the year for your ski area.

I'm heading skiing this weekend.  Get some early season in with the oldest.  It is amazing how quickly they power down the snow with some cold weather and if the longer range progs are close to right they'll be well ahead of last year as we head into early December.

I like that we're seeing a reverse of last year with potential longer periods of warmth being muted vs extended. 

Well lets mute 11/15 -11/25 warmth for at least nne skiing. Tomm will also do a bit of damage i think but at least it wont be 63 @ 6am like last friday

BTW it's interesting that in the last few days several different resorts changed their approach.  A few were pushing for openings towards the later prat of the month or weren't planning on making much snow I presume based on the warmer weather pending.  About 24-36 hours ago I noticed places like Loon went full on with the snowmaking and are now planning on 10 or so trails this weekend.  Seems like their forecasters are maybe thinking it's not a lost cause to lay down snow now.

BTW it's interesting that in the last few days several different resorts changed their approach.  A few were pushing for openings towards the later prat of the month or weren't planning on making much snow I presume based on the warmer weather pending.  About 24-36 hours ago I noticed places like Loon went full on with the snowmaking and are now planning on 10 or so trails this weekend.  Seems like their forecasters are maybe thinking it's not a lost cause to lay down snow now.

Well if the post-11/15 warmup plays out right, NNE (and possibly down here too) may only be a bit above average versus an all out furnace. With the obscene amounts of snow they shouldbe able to make over the next week, it would easily survive.

Well if the post-11/15 warmup plays out right, NNE (and possibly down here too) may only be a bit above average versus an all out furnace. With the obscene amounts of snow they shouldbe able to make over the next week, it would easily survive.

Plus that early stuff they put down is like molasses, you can always tell at the end of the year when you hit early season machine snow its much stickier. Isn't this great discussing winter.

Yeah somewhere over the last 36 hours their people must have determined they could put down snow and continue to at least maintain it with any warm up.  I'm curious to see how many people are on the trails this weekend.   Pretty much I'm determined to get into winter mode early this year.

Whatever happens I hope it involves some type of precip....this is crazy.

attachicon.gifdtpres_npac_75.gif

And before that filament ejects there's a pretty cool fujiwhara interaction off the coast of the Pacific Northwest and the PV filament gets trapped under a pretty impressive anti-cyclonic wave break over Alaska from that big Aleutian low.

I'm sure the op GFS has all of that nailed down. 

And before that filament ejects there's a pretty cool fujiwhara interaction off the coast of the Pacific Northwest and the PV filament gets trapped under a pretty impressive anti-cyclonic wave break over Alaska from that big Aleutian low.

I'm sure the op GFS has all of that nailed down. 

:lol: obviously!

Seriously, this a crazy evolution in the Pacific. This is a situation where the tropopause maps are gold. Nicely highlights all these features and their interactions (such as fujiwharas and wavebreaks over wavebreaks ...  the makings of a super high confidence forecast, obviously)

already had some last week  :santa:   would be nice to see again though!! Euro has a nice coastal for next week but would be mainly rain

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 PM FRIDAY/...
TONIGHT...
SHARP CLEARING WITH FRONTAL PASSAGE AND STRONG COLD AIR ADVECTION
/CAA/. MUCH COLDER WITH 925 MB TEMPS FALLING FROM 13C THIS
MORNING TO -1C BY 12Z FRI. GUSTY NW WINDS WILL EXACERBATE THE
COLDER AIRMASS. DRY WEATHER PREVAILS BUT WILL HAVE TO WATCH LAKE
EFFECT SNOW MACHINE DEVELOPING LATE TONIGHT.

FRIDAY...
AS MENTIONED ABOVE COULD SEE OUR FIRST SNOW FLAKES OF THE SEASON
LATE TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING ACROSS WESTERN CT/MA
AND
SOUTHWEST NH AS THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW MACHINE BEGINS TO CRANK AS
STRONG CAA STREAMS ACROSS THE RELATIVELY WARM LAKES. ITS ALWAYS
DIFFICULT TO FORECAST HOW FAR EAST THESE SNOW STREAMERS WILL
TRAVERSE BUT THE ECMWF/GFS AND NAM ALL GENERATE QPF INTO THE CT
RVR VLY. THIS SEEMS REASONABLE GIVEN STEEPENING LOW LEVEL LAPSE
RATES IN A NEARLY SATURATED ENVIRONMENT. AGAIN BEST CHANCE OF
FLURRIES/SNOW SQUALLS WILL BE IN THE UPSLOPE REGIONS OF WESTERN
CT/MA AND SOUTHWEST.

OTHERWISE EXPECT A DRY BLUSTERY DAY WITH TEMPS ONLY IN THE U40S
AND L50S..BUT WIND CHILLS IN THE 30S GIVEN A BRISK WNW WIND.

You're speaking for GYX CWA and Dendrite, right? It looked like mostly rain down here in my eyes.

Dude...

a5LBrKu.png

Not lookin like rain to me Mike.

This thing looks like it could happen, track....well thats anyone's guess, right now just hoping for a storm but pretty hopeful. Is that a PNA spike i see for a short time as well during storm.

Archived