• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

This may not be the time or place for this ... but it has been studied that a warming polar region would support more snow. You know .. in a symbolic sort of way, it's like the Earth's way of fighting back against GW.

Yeah well it makes a lot of sense. I'd think most locations from like 40 degrees lat and north would see some increase in snowfall with warming temperatures, but then once it hits that critical point you'd see a sharp drop off in snowfall as it gets warmer.

Anyway, North America was only 20/46, middle of the road, in October cover this year, but I'd assume that doesn't matter as much as the northern hemisphere as a whole? Or does it just mean Eurasia is packed with snow?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USA though ranked 5th out of 46. Its a good sign no doubt, look at the dead ratter lists with minimum. We ain"t seeing a dead ratter All Snow predicted style.

Does USA snow cover in October really mean anything at all though? The area covered by snow is so small when comparing acres to other parts on those lists.

USA ranks 5th while Canada is 20th...still slight better than normal up north...good news.

Does USA snow cover in October really mean anything at all though? The area covered by snow is so small when comparing acres to other parts on those lists.

USA ranks 5th while Canada is 20th...still slight better than normal up north...good news.

I don't believe Oct means squat in either country , Nov will be interesting though, we want Canada cold. The feedbacks to NH snow cover are well documented.

Impressive! Ranked 7th out of 46 year's worth of Octs. Also, interesting that it almost rivaled 1976 ... It's interesting because the latter 1970's were dominated by -AO winters, and the sciences of Cohen and others et al have that October lag correlation with snow pack. Could be useful ?

I have been buckin' for a -AO ...Woops, premature postulation ... anyway, I have been buckin' for a -AO winter for some time. For a lot of reasons, but seeing that snow pack gains and sea-ice rate of recovery that we did, was encouraging. Plus, the multi-decadal trend is trying to pass the AO negative.

Don't tell that to the SAI crowd who say a moderately positive AO is coming up for this winter

Snow cover for Eurasia ranked 4 out of 46?  Is that correct? 

yes and  DT is off the hook about it

ALERT **** MAJOR DEVELOPMENT WITH REGARD TO WINTER 2013-14..

The OCT SNOW cover numbers from Siberia are in. Even though some mets at various weather forums ( American and some over in Europe) have been assertion n that the snow cover in Siberia and the SAI ( snow advance index) numbers are only average... as you can see from this image... that assertion is now proven to be 100% wrong. 

The snow cover in Siberia / Eurasia was the 4th HIGHEST ...ever in the last 46 years. The overall snow cover number in the northern Hemisphere is 7th highest

at this point anyone asserting that is Now full of ****. 

WHY is this Important ? -- as I have stated earlier several times recent research has shown that there is strong correlation between Above average snow cover over Siberia in the month of OCT ( and to a lessor degree NOV) and colder than Normal winters... and to a lessor degree ...winter patterns that produce Midwest and east coast snowstorms active. 

all that being said... it is NOT a dead bang certainty of cold than normal and snowier than Normal winter . There have been 1 or 2 cases with good OCT snow numbers in Siberia that have produced Mild winters. But NOT with numbers this high .

This far exceeded my expectations. 

...paging accu wx ..Please pick up the courtesy white phone. Reality is calling .

I miss DT, we need to keep the raging maniacs around makes for lively discussions, but alas Stepford wives is what they want. Oh crap this is banter.

Hey 18Z GFS looks cold. congrats PF

BTV all over possible snow on Monday night with the front. They've got light snow accums already in the grids.

This place is as far from Stepford Wives as possible, lol.

Archived