joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anyone is doing that. The system is 6 days out...anything can happen. But right now, the odds certainly favor a miss over a Euro solution.

Put me on the side of a miss rather than a full hit "right now".  I just don't think the pattern favors such an amplified solution like the Euro.  Maybe a wave develops along the front that gives some a light snow/ rain event.

A couple notes:

1) This may be our first real test case to see what effect the GFS upgrade had on it's historic SE bias

2) A strong fropa with a weak wave forming on it seems more likely than a strong coastal OTS I think.  If it wraps up I'd think water temps and the +NAO argue for strong ridge resistance which should keep it fairly close to the shore.

3) HP core to the west moved significantly further south from the Western Lakes to the MS Valley in the last 24 hours on the euro.  Also LP shifted further SE into Hudson bay.  Looking more like that 1921 ice storm map.  Not suggesting that will happen obviously, but gives a bit of weight to the further west solution IMO.

4) We could have 2 snow events  before the storm

A couple notes:

1) This may be our first real test case to see what effect the GFS upgrade had on it's historic SE bias

2) A strong fropa with a weak wave forming on it seems more likely than a strong coastal OTS I think.  If it wraps up I'd think water temps and the +NAO argue for strong ridge resistance which should keep it fairly close to the shore.

3) HP core to the west moved significantly further south from the Western Lakes to the MS Valley in the last 24 hours on the euro.  Also LP shifted further SE into Hudson bay.  Looking more like that 1921 ice storm map.  Not suggesting that will happen obviously, but gives a bit of weight to the further west solution IMO.

4) We could have 2 snow events  before the storm

The flow out west also argues for it to be kicked OTS too.  I do think the flow amplifies enough to allow for a storm, but I can't wrap my head around the euro. Maybe a Canadian solution or just a storm too far OTS.

The flow out west also argues for it to be kicked OTS too.  I do think the flow amplifies enough to allow for a storm, but I can't wrap my head around the euro. Maybe a Canadian solution or just a storm too far OTS.

The euro solution seems to entirely hinge on the fact that it the U/L low cuts off after day 5.  The +AO regime might be a boon in that case as a strong vortex will assist the jet snapping back.

The euro solution seems to entirely hinge on the fact that it the U/L low cuts off after day 5.  The +AO regime might be a boon in that case as a strong vortex will assist the jet snapping back.

I can see how it cuts off with that flow to the north thanks to the AO, but then a trough digs out west. It just screams euro bias to me, but stranger things have happened. I also think the GFS is too flat as usual. Hopefully we can get something with the front as it passes through at the very least.

In my novice approach here ( clearly I do not have the knowledge of most on here), but most of our bigger storms the last two years seemed to been dismissed about a week out by a few here, and the likes of Steve and Kevin were sounding alarm bells.  Now, I am not saying the Euro weenie run is going to happen, but I will not dismiss anything until we get a couple of days and things start to be come clearer. 

I can see how it cuts off with that flow to the north thanks to the AO, but then a trough digs out west. It just screams euro bias to me, but stranger things have happened. I also think the GFS is too flat as usual. Hopefully we can get something with the front as it passes through at the very least.

Around the 23rd of October I think there was a similar situation with a strong preceding U/L low blasting a cold front offshore and some modeling suggesting that energy on the backside would form a storm in it's wake.  But it didn't happen... just fizzled.  That's a real possibility.  Granted nothing showed a coastal bomb and the AO was not strongly positive then.  

Regardless, it's great to be tracking this stuff again. 

In my novice approach here ( clearly I do not have the knowledge of most on here), but most of our bigger storms the last two years seemed to been dismissed about a week out by a few here, and the likes of Steve and Kevin were sounding alarm bells.  Now, I am not saying the Euro weenie run is going to happen, but I will not dismiss anything until we get a couple of days and things start to be come clearer. 

Right, you can't dismiss things 7+ days out....but I wouldn't sound the alarm and only talk about why it will happen. This is different from saying it won't snow....I'm referring to the euro showing 1-2'.  We could get some snow behind the front as the wave forms...but even that isn't high confidence.

put me in the total dismissal camp

I wouldn't have you anywhere else...

But mostly I am intrigued by how the trends the last few days have been colder and more chances of snow.  This is much better than trends away.  It seems like we are in a pattern in which there are going to be some possibilities.  Even down your way.  Not bad for early-mid November.

put me in the total dismissal camp

I wouldn't have you anywhere else...

But mostly I am intrigued by how the trends the last few days have been colder and more chances of snow. This is much better than trends away. It seems like we are in a pattern in which there are going to be some possibilities. Even down your way. Not bad for early-mid November.

Euro has had a big wound up low on most of the runs the past few days. The problem has been the placement has fluctuated hundreds of miles run to run.

snow at ORH earlier this morning. first of the season, no? 

Yes, officially...though I'm pretty sure they did get a few mangled weenie flakes in that system last week. The ASOS usually has trouble registering that though as anything other than RA-

Archived