EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Banter for the End of October

CT Rain

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with that they had to say, but that's their prerogative.  I think we do a good job to separate the banter and disco when it's go time. This sub-forum is a pretty good source for info during storms. 

Yes indeed, overblown and not correct. honestly you guys are way more non biased anyways.

Yes I did.  So what?

Nasty?  LOL.  If you have someone like HM saying here are issues in our sub-forum you should listen to what he has to say.  What they both said are true and that's what's fallen on deaf ears in here.  This place has a disease of trolling and poster stagnancy.  I loved it when we had posters like HM posting in here and some here went and ruined that.  That's everyone's loss as I would not want to see someone like him leave this forum altogether.  What's sad is this sub-forum is content to keep the status quo.

I disagree with everything you posted there. Our subforum has always been the go to forum on the board. That's why mets from other regions always come here to read and post. It's unfortunate that you as a mod did not do your job and allowed other posters to troll HM. You sure have no problem suspending people for posting youtube videos and other things that have always made this place fun and what it is..or at least what it once was

hardly think the subforum is "terrible" but there are definitely issues with wishcasting, veiling trolling and agendas that have needed attention for years...our subforum is more relaxed in general than some of the others, so that's part of it....it's not going to change, so not going to lose sleep over it. 

I disagree with everything you posted there. Our subforum has always been the go to forum on the board. That's why mets from other regions always come here to read and post. It's unfortunate that you as a mod did not do your job and allowed other posters to troll HM. You sure have no problem suspending people for posting youtube videos and other things that have always made this place fun and what it is..or at least what it once was

While this subforum (along with the mid Atlantic one) is very active, even non banter threads get derailed quickly here. I personally like it as you get a few laughs and can still find the information you're looking for with a bit of patience. Take a look at Philadelphia area non banter threads to get an idea of what I mean, not an active subforum but there's very little to filter through and most posts are very informative.

While this subforum (along with the mid Atlantic one) is very active, even non banter threads get derailed quickly here. I personally like it as you get a few laughs and can still find the information you're looking for with a bit of patience. Take a look at Philadelphia area non banter threads to get an idea of what I mean, not an active subforum but there's very little to filter through and most posts are very informative.

If that's what that area prefers then I'm glad it works for them. No one knows anyone there and maybe that's the reason very few post or read there. But we have many social people in our region who enjoy interacting with one another, which IMO is the whole reason any forum or blog exists. To talk, learn, interact and maybe even make some lasting friendships. It shouldn't be all serious, all wx all the time. That's for old men sitting around a table at Mcdonalds every Monday at 6:30 am. We have by far the best mets on the board And also  the amount of knowledgable posters and weenies. It's a great place for wx, for learning and for open discussion. I just hope they don't take the fun aspect away.

Whats sad is its not true and Adam wants nothing to do with anyone without a tag or PSU after their name. HM is awesome but not hard to find his thoughts anywhere and as I said a million times you guys need to work on the main page to get his type discussions front and center. oh yea and where the hell were the Mods when HM was supposedly run off. Get real

To defend Adam here, I am not a red tagger, nor did I go to PSU and he talks to me daily. :)

Happy Thursday!

If that's what that area prefers then I'm glad it works for them. No one knows anyone there and maybe that's the reason very few post or read there. But we have many social people in our region who enjoy interacting with one another, which IMO is the whole reason any forum or blog exists. To talk, learn, interact and maybe even make some lasting friendships. It shouldn't be all serious, all wx all the time. That's for old men sitting around a table at Mcdonalds every Monday at 6:30 am. We have by far the best mets on the board And also the amount of knowledgable posters and weenies. It's a great place for wx, for learning and for open discussion. I just hope they don't take the fun aspect away.

Agree 100%

Isn't there a "Met's only" forum here?  If so I am assuming that it's all serious in that forum.

I ask because the issue of people being turned off by the New England sub-forum is a constant theme. Every few weeks it seems to intensify.  If the overwhelming majority does not want banter within the subforum and wants everything to be sterile and serious then maybe a stricter membership policy is in order, followed by 1st offense banning.  Sure it would drive people away, but then the forum would become a nice friendly, boring science/ weather chat room.

Otherwise, I don't know how it gets controlled.  To be honest, for people to get bent out of shape over wishcasting, and misc. banter is beyond me, especially if we keep specific threads pinned regarding upcoming weather events - with strict ZERO BANTER rules in place.  Conversations on web-forums usually turn to banter at some level after so many pages, or posts.  It's just the nature of the beast.  And unless there are personal attacks on others I don't see what the issue is.  I suppose the sexual innuendos may make people upset, but that kind of stuff is at a much smaller percentage than I think people realize. But unfortunately that becomes the focus for some, even if it is small. 

To me the key is for mods to take hold of the pinned threads, and really make sure that they are not abused.  If the pinned event threads are kept clean, then that will be the place where the mets and others looking for real weather conversation will know to go.  If the mods don't do their jobs and keep those threads clean, then I don't know what else to say because to try and have dozens of people self moderate themselves is just not going to work.  As far as the other threads, most of the time they are started as conversation threads, and to monitor them beyond personal attacks would just be too hard, and not necessary. 

As far as the "old boys" club or whatever that comment was made somewhere, I have only been a part of this community for about 4 years, and have never felt that the New England Forum kept new folks from posting.  I may not get questions answered much of the time, or my thoughts may be ignored but I don't take it personal, and think that I'm not good enough to be part of the club.

What I really fear is that there is a witch hunt for some to have certain posters removed just because of personal reasons, while disguising it as something that will be for the good of the forum.

Isn't there a "Met's only" forum here?  If so I am assuming that it's all serious in that forum.

I ask because the issue of people being turned off by the New England sub-forum is a constant theme. Every few weeks it seems to intensify.  If the overwhelming majority does not want banter within the subforum and wants everything to be sterile and serious then maybe a stricter membership policy is in order, followed by 1st offense banning.  Sure it would drive people away, but then the forum would become a nice friendly, boring science/ weather chat room.

Otherwise, I don't know how it gets controlled.  To be honest, for people to get bent out of shape over wishcasting, and misc. banter is beyond me, especially if we keep specific threads pinned regarding upcoming weather events - with strict ZERO BANTER rules in place.  Conversations on web-forums usually turn to banter at some level after so many pages, or posts.  It's just the nature of the beast.  And unless there are personal attacks on others I don't see what the issue is.  I suppose the sexual innuendos may make people upset, but that kind of stuff is at a much smaller percentage than I think people realize. But unfortunately that becomes the focus for some, even if it is small. 

To me the key is for mods to take hold of the pinned threads, and really make sure that they are not abused.  If the pinned event threads are kept clean, then that will be the place where the mets and others looking for real weather conversation will know to go.  If the mods don't do their jobs and keep those threads clean, then I don't know what else to say because to try and have dozens of people self moderate themselves is just not going to work.  As far as the other threads, most of the time they are started as conversation threads, and to monitor them beyond personal attacks would just be too hard, and not necessary. 

As far as the "old boys" club or whatever that comment was made somewhere, I have only been a part of this community for about 4 years, and have never felt that the New England Forum kept new folks from posting.  I may not get questions answered much of the time, or my thoughts may be ignored but I don't take it personal, and think that I'm not good enough to be part of the club.

What I really fear is that there is a witch hunt for some to have certain posters removed just because of personal reasons, while disguising it as something that will be for the good of the forum.

Yes there is a MET Only Forum.  It's seldom used and has been mostly used as a "Looking for jobs" Forum.  I think there have been like 10 posts in there all year.  My only issue in this Forum has been the looseness of the "Discussion Only" threads.  There is far too much banter/ot/trolling/nonsense that is unneeded/unnecessary in them.  I'm not taking away anyone's "fun" here, just do it in the appropriate thread.  The pinned Discussion is for just that to make serious posts about current/upcoming pattern/storms..  Moderation can only go so far if the members are unwilling to follow our lead as the case appears to be.  Should we start pointing out what we feel are OT/ Banter, nonsense type posts?  Should we just have a catch all thread and pull out posts into a separate thread that is not cluttered?  I take what HM and Adam said seriously as the are METs and are a huge part of this Forums success as a whole.

you are just as guilty of veiled trolling here...so before you cast stones, get out of your glass house

yeah. very much so. however, a lot of us are guilty of it. not just forky.

but there is definitely a strange interest in what's being said in NE by folks who don't live here. i never go outside of this sub-forum. i can probably count on one hand the number of times i've posted outside of NE in the last 4 years. and i don't really care all that much if outsiders "won't post here." but that's just me.

the important thing going forward is figuring out whether people are happy the way it is (and by people, i mean NE posters) or if they feel it needs to change. the board tries to walk a line between a place for information / weather discussion only and a place to casually shoot the sh*t. it's not an easy thing to do at all - especially when 50 % of the regular posters know each personally because inevitably conversation starts to head off-course...that's the nature of communication.

either folks have to agree to let the problems persist or agree to mostly stop.  and I think Kevin needs to rein it in a bit without making a big deal about it. 

also - to ginxy's point about this place being great when there's something going on worth talking about...i'm not as sure about that as I used to be. i feel as though several years ago, that was true. but the last few big storms, leading up to the event, some of the threads have been painful. 

Archived