• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Banter for the End of October

CT Rain

I know Taunton is tyring to more of a focus on winter wx training. New England winter forecasting is a bit unique and new hires from other regions may not be very familiar with it. I was talking to them about ice storms a couple years ago...which is where a lot of typical ice related climo from other regions doesn't work when transferred here. The traditional "ice in the valleys, rain above it" hardly ever works here. Its usually the opposite.

Transitional events are big bust potential around here too.

The old days, they hand wrote zone forecasts. They didn't need the specificity that gridded forecasts require now. We're still training people on how to make consistent grids (i.e. no rain with temps in the 20s).

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old days, they hand wrote zone forecasts. They didn't need the specificity that gridded forecasts require now. We're still training people on how to make consistent grids (i.e. no rain with temps in the 20s).

Ha ha.  I once saw a zone cast that headlined a Blizzard Warning ... and went to describe heavy snow and high winds, with highs in the mid 40s.   

Ha ha.  I once saw a zone cast that headlined a Blizzard Warning ... and went to describe heavy snow and high winds, with highs in the mid 40s.   

Just last year we had an winter storm warning in effect with heavy rain and temps in the mid 40s as well. At some point you just have to accept that the forecast is going down in flames.

Just last year we had an winter storm warning in effect with heavy rain and temps in the mid 40s as well. At some point you just have to accept that the forecast is going down in flames.

Lol, right. But in NWS' defense ... the case I mentioned was a Plains deal where there was an extreme post fropa temp/thickness crash, causing a wind swept easterly rain go to a N gale flashing.   Thing is, highs were probably 44'ish prior to that event. Problem is, it's bad PR.  The public doesn't differentiate the two, really.  

Archived