• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Banter for the End of October

CT Rain

I was laying on the beach at Lanikai on O'ahu, watching KOCO live stream from my phone while my girlfriend shot daggers at me. I showed her the radar, but she just told me she has no idea what it means. Ha.

hahaha yup... I know that feeling.

During El Reno I was on radarscope/twitter nonstop during a pub golf/bar crawl in town with a bunch of friends. That went over poorly.

Tuscaloosa, AL tornado was on South Beach watching James Spann's coverage on Ustream. Went over just as badly lol. 

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have that fairly locked down. Not everybody in the profession does it, but I like to know how models are trending even on off hours/days. I feel like in order to do my best at work, sometimes I have to put in a little effort outside of work, and she understands that. Plus she's in bed when the 00z Euro is rolling out.

Yeah using weather as a work related necessity certainly helps. It also really helps me when someone from the ski area calls for a weather update or calls to tell me things aren't going as planned (ie icing when it's supposed to be snowing, winds out of a different direction, temps not where they should be, etc)...then I have a reason to spend some time looking at weather data. I can tell her that we are making snow with a plan designed for a west wind, but the snowmakers are finding the wind is southerly instead...so I have to figure out why and for how long will this occur and should we switch to trails and gun placements that are more favorable on southerly flow?

There's almost always a reason to look at weather data on the laptop, lol.

Yeah using weather as a work related necessity certainly helps. It also really helps me when someone from the ski area calls for a weather update or calls to tell me things aren't going as planned (ie icing when it's supposed to be snowing, winds out of a different direction, temps not where they should be, etc)...then I have a reason to spend some time looking at weather data. I can tell her that we are making snow with a plan designed for a west wind, but the snowmakers are finding the wind is southerly instead...so I have to figure out why and for how long will this occur and should we switch to trails and gun placements that are more favorable on southerly flow?

There's almost always a reason to look at weather data on the laptop, lol.

How weather savvy are the people you work with? Obviously they are somewhat inclined...but is it surprising to you what they know? Just curious.

During El Reno I was on radarscope/twitter nonstop during a pub golf/bar crawl in town with a bunch of friends. That went over poorly.

Tuscaloosa, AL tornado was on South Beach watching James Spann's coverage on Ustream. Went over just as badly lol. 

Well she's gotten used to my checking the weather when I wake up, especially on vacation. So when I exclaimed something like "oh my god" when I saw all the Facebook posts about Samaras and crew, she thought I was expecting rain that day on the island. Puts it in perspective sometimes, a fairly Earth shattering day for me registers very little with the "general public."

How exactly does that work?

Before we started going out she would go to Wolf Pack games with her best friend (who I've known for several years from games.  Once she broke up with her ex she started going to games and since her friend is a Rangers fan she just followed them...but b/c I'm a Bruins fan she follows them as well.  

Ohhhh... World War Z at the movie theatre at 2 p.m. during the Windsor tornado this summer was another bad one. 

Well she's gotten used to my checking the weather when I wake up, especially on vacation. So when I exclaimed something like "oh my god" when I saw all the Facebook posts about Samaras and crew, she thought I was expecting rain that day on the island. Puts it in perspective sometimes, a fairly Earth shattering day for me registers very little with the "general public."

Weather related stuff like that just won't get understood by people who don't have a passion for it. I had people say "well that's what happens when you chase tornadoes..."  after they passed on.  :facepalm:  

Weather related stuff like that just won't get understood by people who don't have a passion for it. I had people say "well that's what happens when you chase tornadoes..."  after they passed on.  :facepalm:  

I think that's when I realized the perception is this happens all the time. She got it once I said that it had never happened before (unless you want to count the incident where someone hydroplaned off the road on the way home from a chase).

Keeper for sure. My girlfriend, who again doesn't like sports, actively roots against my teams just because :axe: .

Mine too. That was actually an interesting day. I learned a lot (looking at you Wiz).  

She definitely doesn't understand my love for weather though which kind of sucks.  One time I was at her house and we were going somewhere and I said I had to check the models quick and she didn't really like that.

I also brought my laptop with me on Father's Day to her grandparent house just so I could check the models...I believe there was a possible severe threat the following day or day after and she was pissed.  

How weather savvy are the people you work with? Obviously they are somewhat inclined...but is it surprising to you what they know? Just curious.

Depends on the department. Most people at the resort are more weather savvy than your average American, but that's not saying all that much. Mountain Operations staff that I interact with, especially upper level, are very weather savvy. We can talk models and outcomes in more technical terms than you could with a lot of the rest of the resort. Everyone in operations reads just about every single AFD published by BTV from mid-November onward, and the operations staff is really well versed in things like inversions, mixing of winds, low level lapse rates, upslope, etc. Things that affect grooming, snowmaking, and lifts directly.

We have a daily operations meeting that lasts 30-45 minutes where all we talk about is weather and it's impacts on us over the next 24 hours...based on that meeting (which can get pretty technical about various elevations) we then plan that night's grooming and snowmaking.

She definitely doesn't understand my love for weather though which kind of sucks.  One time I was at her house and we were going somewhere and I said I had to check the models quick and she didn't really like that.

I also brought my laptop with me on Father's Day to her grandparent house just so I could check the models...I believe there was a possible severe threat the following day or day after and she was pissed.  

That can't be true. Unless her grandparents live in Oklahoma.

Another tornado event with no mention of TDS in the SVS. I honestly don't get that one bit. Dual pol has been around long enough that this should be pretty straight forward by now.

The old guard has trouble deviating form the norm, especially when under pressure. There are more than a few at GYX who would never even think to glance at dual-pol if they were issuing TORs. Especially once you have the TOR out, I would be looking for confirmation any way possible.

The old guard has trouble deviating form the norm, especially when under pressure. There are more than a few at GYX who would never even think to glance at dual-pol if they were issuing TORs. Especially once you have the TOR out, I would be looking for confirmation any way possible.

How much time tweaking grids with D3 temps could be spent with more training/warning simulations/practice/etc? 

How much time tweaking grids with D3 temps could be spent with more training/warning simulations/practice/etc? 

I know you'll be shocked to hear this, but some people don't feel like they need to train anymore because they've seen it all.

However, we're increasingly moving towards focus on the near term and away from the long term (at least tinkering so much with it). That's going to pass quite a few people by.

I know you'll be shocked to hear this, but some people don't feel like they need to train anymore because they've seen it all.

However, we're increasingly moving towards focus on the near term and away from the long term (at least tinkering so much with it). That's going to pass quite a few people by.

I know Taunton is tyring to more of a focus on winter wx training. New England winter forecasting is a bit unique and new hires from other regions may not be very familiar with it. I was talking to them about ice storms a couple years ago...which is where a lot of typical ice related climo from other regions doesn't work when transferred here. The traditional "ice in the valleys, rain above it" hardly ever works here. Its usually the opposite.

Transitional events are big bust potential around here too.

Archived