EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Banter for the End of October

CT Rain

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah. very much so. however, a lot of us are guilty of it. not just forky.

but there is definitely a strange interest in what's being said in NE by folks who don't live here. i never go outside of this sub-forum. i can probably count on one hand the number of times i've posted outside of NE in the last 4 years. and i don't really care all that much if outsiders "won't post here." but that's just me.

the important thing going forward is figuring out whether people are happy the way it is (and by people, i mean NE posters) or if they feel it needs to change. the board tries to walk a line between a place for information / weather discussion only and a place to casually shoot the sh*t. it's not an easy thing to do at all - especially when 50 % of the regular posters know each personally because inevitably conversation starts to head off-course...that's the nature of communication.

either folks have to agree to let the problems persist or agree to mostly stop.  and I think Kevin needs to rein it in a bit without making a big deal about it. 

also - to ginxy's point about this place being great when there's something going on worth talking about...i'm not as sure about that as I used to be. i feel as though several years ago, that was true. but the last few big storms, leading up to the event, some of the threads have been painful. 

The biggest issue I have is trying to keep banter in the banter thread. If people would just remember to do that, then a lot of the "problems" would subside IMHO. We cannot be here every minute to move or delete posts...some of the onus has to fall on members. The rest of the complaints are pretty much backround noise and some of them are disingenious.

We have an awful lot of solid weather discussion in this forum, and not having to sort through banter to read that discussion is my biggest point of contention. I am not in favor of turning this place into a sterile storm2K atmosphere either. There's obviously a happy medium.

If we suck so much, how come members including mets from all regions spend so much time here when actual wx is happening?

It's not just SNE.  I go to all areas if interesting wx happens.  Mid-west TORs?  I read.  Coastal Tropical storms? I read.  SNE snows?  I read.

weather enthusiasts go where stuff is.  SNE happens to have some good mets like Will and Scott and others who do have interesting posts to read during winter and at other times as well.  But other areas have good red taggers too and one can learn quite a bit from browsing other regions

but there is definitely a strange interest in what's being said in NE by folks who don't live here. i never go outside of this sub-forum. i can probably count on one hand the number of times i've posted outside of NE in the last 4 years. and i don't really care all that much if outsiders "won't post here." but that's just me.

the important thing going forward is figuring out whether people are happy the way it is (and by people, i mean NE posters) or if they feel it needs to change. the board tries to walk a line between a place for information / weather discussion only and a place to casually shoot the sh*t. it's not an easy thing to do at all - especially when 50 % of the regular posters know each personally because inevitably conversation starts to head off-course...that's the nature of communication.

either folks have to agree to let the problems persist or agree to mostly stop.  and I think Kevin needs to rein it in a bit without making a big deal about it. 

also - to ginxy's point about this place being great when there's something going on worth talking about...i'm not as sure about that as I used to be. i feel as though several years ago, that was true. but the last few big storms, leading up to the event, some of the threads have been painful. 

Why do you constantly single me out? it's not just you. There's this group of 4-5 people who constantly site me and my name. Perhaps folks need to look internally as well. 

The biggest issue I have is trying to keep banter in the banter thread. If people would just remember to do that, then a lot of the "problems" would subside IMHO. We cannot be here every minute to move or delete posts...some of the onus has to fall on members. The rest of the complaints are pretty much backround noise and some of them are disingenious.

We have an awful lot of solid weather discussion in this forum, and not having to sort through banter to read that discussion is my biggest point of contention. I am not in favor of turning this place into a sterile storm2K atmosphere either. There's obviously a happy medium.

BINGO!

I guess for starters, a poster should ask themselves if what they are posting has meteorological merit to be placed in the pinned discussion thread. If not, it should probably be placed in the banter thread.

We do have solid discussion, just far too much clutter in between,

Why do you constantly single me out? it's not just you. There's this group of 4-5 people who constantly site me and my name. Perhaps folks need to look internally as well. 

i did - i said a lot of us are guilty (i was implying myself included). 

i single you out because you are the ringleader of the troll-posting circus. it's nothing you don't know. 

either folks have to agree to let the problems persist or agree to mostly stop. and I think Kevin needs to rein it in a bit without making a big deal about it.

reread the Blizz and Miller B threads please

no hopefully that doesn't have to happen. the problem perhaps is getting people to understand "banter" vs wx discussion. 

i single you out because you are the ringleader of the troll-posting circus. it's nothing you don't know.

most of our "trolling" is a response to all the inane crap. it gets tough to ignore

most of our "trolling" is a response to all the inane crap. it gets tough to ignore

yeah, i agree.

a key word, of course, being "most"

Some would call it trolling.  I would call it calling out BS posts, which I have no problem with.  If people are here to learn, than take some of the responses you get to your posts to heart.

You, Forky, Ryan and Bob basically are the ones that continue to call me out. I can tell you this..the day i change is the day I leave the board under my own will..and not banned becasue some old man didn't like a weenie posted

Because this for now anyway is a free forum on the web where folks have always been free to be themselves, talk wx and experience general comradery. Not a concentration camp with gas chambers for those deemed trouble makers

I think the answer is simple. Just keep the toaster bath comments and casual sh*t in the banter thread. It doesn't mean the disco threads have to be in communist control, just the real banter stuff staying in the banter threads.

Archived