Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Banter for the End of October

CT Rain

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see NG too, crazy stuff on the floors. Bet some good energy mets cleaned up last week. Never doubt the power of a recurve super typhoon to drive troughs deeper than initially modeled. I would have made some dough last week when the mehs were being thrown around like Eli interceptions. (side note as soon as I typed Eli, interceptions came up as a suggested word, how bad is that for a Giants fan like me)

That's a tough gig otherwise every good met would be rich by now. Meteorology plays a role in energy trading, but it's just one component of the price of an energy futures contract. If you invested in the Jan '14 nat gas contracts you could have made ~7.5% (assuming an unhedged position) in the last 7-10 days according to my Bloomberg terminal. If you just blindly stuck your money in the S&P you would have made 4.5%, so how much of that nat gas futures return was skill vs. dumb luck (or other non-meteorology related market forces)? That is the fun part (or not so fun part for the analyst) of performance attribution, and it's just about that time of year.

That's a tough gig otherwise every good met would be rich by now. Meteorology plays a role in energy trading, but it's just one component of the price of an energy futures contract. If you invested in the Jan '14 nat gas contracts you could have made ~7.5% (assuming an unhedged position) in the last 7-10 days according to my Bloomberg terminal. If you just blindly stuck your money in the S&P you would have made 4.5%, so how much of that nat gas futures return was skill vs. dumb luck (or other non-meteorology related market forces)? That is the fun part (or not so fun part for the analyst) of performance attribution, and it's just about that time of year.

Yes it is. Nat Gas actually used to react to weather even more than it does now...so its actually getting harder. Though the long range forecasting is getting better at the same time.

A good LR forecaster on an objective scale will be "right" only like 55-60% of the time with a month lead. The difference between good and coinflipping really isn't that much. The best definitely earn their money.

welcome back to the 'burbs. 

they are probably grackles. they gather together this time of year as they get ready to get out of town. 

They will often flock with red-winged blackbirds too and you end up with these massive flocks. Sometimes you'll see starlings and cowbirds in those flocks as well.

They will often flock with red-winged blackbirds too and you end up with these massive flocks. Sometimes you'll see starlings and cowbirds in those flocks as well.

yeah we get them mixed with the red-winged blackbirds here a lot. the groups are wicked noisy too...and actually can make a mess of the yard stirring up all the grass and leaves etc. but i always like it because it's a quintessential fall sound to me. 

I forgot to introduce myself like Brett did. My name is Brent (very similar to the other new member's name lol) and my username is merry christmas because I am always in the spirit of Christmas :) I just arrived here less than a day ago and I am from Toronto. I think I will try to fit in with the NE section. I am glad someone posted something from here in the accuweather forum where things often become dead while this place is alive so now I found this place! :)

I forgot to introduce myself like Brett did. My name is Brent (very similar to the other new member's name lol) and my username is merry christmas because I am always in the spirit of Christmas :) I just arrived here less than a day ago and I am from Toronto. I think I will try to fit in with the NE section. I am glad someone posted something from here in the accuweather forum where things often become dead while this place is alive so now I found this place!  :)

Welcome aboard to Brent and Brett, enjoy the place, its lots of fun and very informative.

Welcome aboard to Brent and Brett, enjoy the place, its lots of fun and very informative.

thanks a lot. I will enjoy sharing all I have learned as well. I like cold weather a lot. I have been learning about professional use of professional weather data since grade 7 and have been interpreting a variety of models and data to make forecasts for my school since grade 9. Some new things I learned about were the typhoon connection with the eastern US cold, which I learned in the last couple days and the SSW which helps draw cold in the winter. I look forward to advancing in my weather interest.

thanks a lot. I will enjoy sharing all I have learned as well. I like cold weather a lot. I have been learning about professional use of professional weather data since grade 7 and have been interpreting a variety of models and data to make forecasts for my school since grade 9. Some new things I learned about were the typhoon connection with the eastern US cold, which I learned in the last couple days and the SSW which helps draw cold in the winter. I look forward to advancing in my weather interest.

Welcome aboard dude.

thanks guys. A little bit more about myself, I am currently getting my Criminal Justice Degree at Bridgewater State University, live in Taunton as you can probably guess lol. Weather, especially winter weather has fascinated me as far back as I can remember.

Those with this disease/affliction/blessing tend to find their way to this forum eventually. Welcome aboard. Let's hope this winter delivers the good stuff.

After this winter I'll probably be moving down to the DC area so it might be my last real winter for the foreseeable future.  :ee:

Archived