• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October Banter and discussion

CoastalWx

This is total BS and shame on the leaders/Webmasters for playing politics with Websites.  As an IT person, I know there is no technological reason why Websites can't stay up.  You should put a notice saying that the content is not being updated, but the fact that you're able to display a "Website not available" page means that the server is indeed up and that a calculated decision has been made to block users from accessing it.  They've done this to other .gov sites and it's just a means to play politics.

Well certain computers/servers are being shutdown, we (or at least I) don't really know what the bulk of NOAA's site runs on. We don't get to pick and choose what stays on. If it's located in a shutdown building or branch it's being turned off or not supported.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well certain computers/servers are being shutdown, we (or at least I) don't really know what the bulk of NOAA's site runs on. We don't get to pick and choose what stays on. If it's located in a shutdown building or branch it's being turned off or not supported.

I noticed that at least for me the NCEP site was really lagging/freezing during the 12z GFS update. Not sure if that's related or not.

I noticed that at least for me the NCEP site was really lagging/freezing during the 12z GFS update. Not sure if that's related or not.

It shouldn't since the GFS model production is considered critical to operations (some people may argue that fact during winter ;) ). It's the experimental stuff and NWP not run by NCEP that could run into issues if the computers decide to fail during the shutdown.

Starting to see some wild swings in the 11-15 day GFS from 00z-12z and vice versa. Sometimes, that can be a sign of a pattern change.....sometimes. 

Ha ha - not to be a wise guy but ... I think it being October is a pretty significant sign for a pattern change.  

It shouldn't since the GFS model production is considered critical to operations (some people may argue that fact during winter ;) ). It's the experimental stuff and NWP not run by NCEP that could run into issues if the computers decide to fail during the shutdown.

They would just toss it

:weenie:

Well I mean in terms of replacing the AK/Siberia vortex.

I know... ha

Hey, does anyone know what the record highs are for tomorrow (Oct 2) ? 

Asking 'cause the MET numbers are 84-87!     And, the new Euro has 15C at 850, amid dry RH, and light west wind tomorrow.   I know it's post equinox but such an ideal heating synoptic look might just get realized.  

Definitely in the foggy time of year... every single morning its dense fog down here in the valley bottom at 700-1000ft, while its sunny just above those elevations.

Here's a photo from the Mountain Road in the valley as the fog lifts...

attachicon.gifIMG_7017_edited-2.jpg

Wow... incredible photo! 

You should make postcards out of these...

Hopefully there's a tropical system to follow along with the heat.

If we kept that trough to our west and something formed in that time in the western ATL, then we'd have a shot to time the arrival of the trough with any storm. Or hell, even something coming out of the gulf like Wilma in '05...those can ride up the coast.

At least people can turn the heat off if they caved to the cooler temps in late September.

Wow, that is an epic torch on the Euro...the front really never makes it here...it breaks the huge plains wave up into central Ontario and we stay influenced by the SE ridge.

...  I was noticing that this run keeps creating these nodes of sfc +PP E and N of the region despite that balmy appeal going on aloft.  That would tend to insert a llv cut into the flow underneath ... long shot.

Heh, it's probably an error.  But just sayin'   -- if you look closely at the sfc details the wind direction is cooky looking, for that type of deep layer heights orientation. Also in that the ridge is slightly E of us, usually that promotes more off-shore component.   

If we kept that trough to our west and something formed in that time in the western ATL, then we'd have a shot to time the arrival of the trough with any storm. Or hell, even something coming out of the gulf like Wilma in '05...those can ride up the coast.

At least people can turn the heat off if they caved to the cooler temps in late September.

didn't a few model runs show wilma slamming into the northeast as a big phased system?

Being shutdown is different from changing the default page to one that reads that the content is not available because of the budget.  If a server is off, you would get no response.  If it's on, you'd get the same old content that was there yesterday, only it wouldn't get updated.  To through up a message saying the content is unavailable due to the budget, that's playing politics.  It's not just weather sites either, you can't get to National Park Websites or the USDA (the AG department).  I understand closing the physical places, but not changing the homepage to read something that isn't true.

Just my 2¢

Definitely in the foggy time of year... every single morning its dense fog down here in the valley bottom at 700-1000ft, while its sunny just above those elevations.

Here's a photo from the Mountain Road in the valley as the fog lifts...

attachicon.gifIMG_7017_edited-2.jpg

I am stealing this.  Not as my own but saving it and sharing it.  Thanks.  I am just saying its from the NE USA. 

Wow, that is an epic torch on the Euro...the front really never makes it here...it breaks the huge plains wave up into central Ontario and we stay influenced by the SE ridge.

Just think if we continue with this dry air, dry ground conditions from lack of rainfall, vegetation starting to think about going dormant...throw in light westerly flow and compressional heating/drying... could be some warm/dry days in store. Sort of like those dry heat days you get in April where it's like 83/40.

Just think if we continue with this dry air, dry ground conditions from lack of rainfall, vegetation starting to think about going dormant...throw in light westerly flow and compressional heating/drying... could be some warm/dry days in store. Sort of like those dry heat days you get in April where it's like 83/40.

vegetation is dormat, hence the colors you see

We're losing the insolation intensity rapidly too. Those late April days have a late August-like sun angle.

it did feel hot in the sun from 12-1 but you can just feel the difference other hours. This is great. Best stretch of weather in years feel wise, worst stretch excitement wise. I think Phil maybe toaster bathing soon, I worry about him.

Archived