joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter and discussion

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torch-tastic Octobers filling up the analog list right now. Pretty much every single October on the analogs was a torch except 1992. No reason to think at this point that this year will not follow. Looks warm through mid-month. Going to be tough to get enough cold late in the month to offset it.

Going back to your question last night. We now get ECMWF short, extended, and ensemble MOS bulletins into our Graphical Forecast Editor in an image. The EPS text bulletin is nice because in addition to the mean, we get the max value, min value, 10th, 50th, and 90th percentiles.

This is what it looks like for Wednesday, with comparisons to the MAV and MET.

MET

post-44-0-92340900-1380550548_thumb.jpg

MAV

post-44-0-56292500-1380550543_thumb.jpg

Extended ECMWF

post-44-0-59193600-1380550533_thumb.jpg

EPS

post-44-0-07298500-1380550539_thumb.jpg

You can see that the MAV and MET typically preform better on the marine zones, but as we bias correct these they should improve.

For some reason I notice the ECMWF MOS can have funky min temps, wants to make SW NH the coldest spot and warm in central ME. Unnaturally too, like a dipole or something rather than a local radiative thing.

Going back to your question last night. We now get ECMWF short, extended, and ensemble MOS bulletins into our Graphical Forecast Editor in an image. The EPS text bulletin is nice because in addition to the mean, we get the max value, min value, 10th, 50th, and 90th percentiles.

This is what it looks like for Wednesday, with comparisons to the MAV and MET.

MET

attachicon.gifMET.jpg

MAV

attachicon.gifMAV.jpg

Extended ECMWF

attachicon.gifECE.jpg

EPS

attachicon.gifECM.jpg

You can see that the MAV and MET typically preform better on the marine zones, but as we bias correct these they should improve.

For some reason I notice the ECMWF MOS can have funky min temps, wants to make SW NH the coldest spot and warm in central ME. Unnaturally too, like a dipole or something rather than a local radiative thing.

Interesting there. I never actually looked at euro MOS, although I think we get it as well for the guys doing energy forecasting. Usually model srfc temps will suffice for what I need to do regarding forecasting...and it only really matters in winter.

Interesting there. I never actually looked at euro MOS, although I think we get it as well for the guys doing energy forecasting. Usually model srfc temps will suffice for what I need to do regarding forecasting...and it only really matters in winter.

This is fairly new for us in GFE, so this will be the first winter that temps are available to us.

the global circulation has been "off" since july. HM and others have posted about it

The global circulation is still pretty whacked and has been since mid-summer. I have never seen the subsidence belt of the Hadley Cell reach so poleward before in the N PAC. It is still unofficial, but there may have been a record NPI set and record SST change from June to July when this occurred (of course today's daily SST maps show a substantial cooling in the NE PAC). Even now, look where the strongest +u anomalies are at 850mb in the western Tropical Pacific and the giant "black hole" on water vapor over the ME/Africa. So, let's hope this next round of tropical forcing can perform more normally this time in the Atlantic...but...yeah.

on the ridge retrogression in july:

I remember staring at the satellite with my jaw-dropped. The easterlies of the tropical latitudes were slamming into the East Coast. The damage has been done, too, on the SST and subsequent wave behavior across the North Atlantic / Pacific. It is quite possible we won't recover, in time for winter, from this unusual circulation.

The last time something like this happened I believe was in 2004 and possibly in the early 90s. But this year by far took over as the strongest ever SST shift/NPI in NE PAC.

sure, but there's not even a depression anywhere...everything has been suppressed not just in the Atlantic basin, but globally too.

Sure it's way out in fantasy land but the 06z GFS at least offers a glimmer of hope that the pig of a Bermuda ridge hangs out for the forceable future. Nevermind the TC north of the islands. Nice to see a return to a more active weather pattern period.

gfs_atlantic_384_850_temp_mslp_precip.gi

I love how some are trying to make this hellacious Oct seem ok and normal and that it doesn't matter. I hope we are not sitting here looking at the same disaster 30 days from now

Do you have any proof that it matters to winter?

Enlighten us poor misinformed peasants.

Sure it's way out in fantasy land but the 06z GFS at least offers a glimmer of hope that the pig of a Bermuda ridge hangs out for the forceable future. Nevermind the TC north of the islands. Nice to see a return to a more active weather pattern period.

gfs_atlantic_384_850_temp_mslp_precip.gi

a more likely scenario is a wetter pattern and maybe a disorganized mess comes at us via the tropics....

If there's not a little worry and concern creeping into your mind about winter then more power to you. It's not time to panic or go crazy, but a little worry should start to enter the conversation

I hope that the torch lasts right through mid-December. Then bring me a few good snow storms in January and then right back to a torch by the start of February. Who needs cold if it's not producing snow.

If there's not a little worry and concern creeping into your mind about winter then more power to you. It's not time to panic or go crazy, but a little worry should start to enter the conversation

embrace the warmth. just taste it. 

green grass...flowers blooming...warm, October sun. perfection-licious-ness. make it the best day ever kevin. 

a more likely scenario is a wetter pattern and maybe a disorganized mess comes at us via the tropics....

Hoping we get back to that ring of fire setup like what we saw in June with multiple pieces of energy rotating around the western periphery of the ridge producing prolific rainfall totals.

I hope that the torch lasts right through mid-December. Then bring me a few good snow storms in January and then right back to a torch by the start of February. Who needs cold if it's not producing snow.

ugh. you may need to follow Forky back to the NYC threads shortly. once 11/15 rolls around...it's go time...and it stays that way until 4/1

ugh. you may need to follow Forky back to the NYC threads shortly. once 11/15 rolls around...it's go time...and it stays that way until 4/1

:lmao:

We have major issues in that forum during winter time. Primarily because the setups that are good for snows on Long Island and NYC are not as favorable for inland sections and vice versa. And then you have folks like myself that live 30+ miles NW of NYC that sometime feel homeless since our posts get smothered by the majority of posters living near the coast. I don't like the NYC forum, never have and probably never will.

Archived