Newest Member
    e46ds1x
October Banter and discussion

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and 58-59 wasn't spectacular...big finish over the interior though

'58-'59 was an absolutely frigid winter, but it wasn't that good for snow along the coast. Cold and dry much of the heart of winter. March '59 was huge for snow in the interior.

Well the 1st half of this month is heading to an all out torch for sure. A little unsure about the second half..but don't have confidence in big cooling.

I kind of envision an average to slightly below average last 2 weeks of the month...it doesn't look like the pattern will be ideal for getting big cold ala Oct 2009. A lot can still change though. If we end up with better ridging near AK, then it certainly could end up colder.

I kind of envision an average to slightly below average last 2 weeks of the month...it doesn't look like the pattern will be ideal for getting big cold ala Oct 2009. A lot can still change though. If we end up with better ridging near AK, then it certainly could end up colder.

Some of the stat models...like Paul Roundy's stuff is trying to cool it. I would buy more of what you are saying vs a big cooldown.

That's another story...the oil issue is beyond all of us and we both know how difficult that is to weed off no matter how much people care. I'm aware of all the credits etc to do this work, but still requires out of pocket funds that someone like me doesn't have. There are two categories. Most people probably don't care about AGW not because they don't give a phuck, but because there isn't much they can do. On the other hand, as far as our physical environment goes where people work and play, I think people generally care and do what they can to help out. For instance...something as simple as organic fertilizer instead of high phosphate crap like Kevin puts on his lawn.

the fact that environmentally friendly stuff costs 2x what other stuff costs is a reason why many don't do it. take the Prius for example. even with the tax credits, they are arguably more expensive than a non-hybrid car. add in the cost of replacing the batteries every few years and it is certainly more expensive.

same with solar panels. i would have gone solar many years ago if it was not so expensive. $$ talks to most ppl.

With respect to the shutdown and the govt computers...

You notice we are getting DNS redirects... so in other words, it's not as though they replaced their normal website with a banner... in fact it's relinking you a different machine altogether.  I heard speculation earlier that the machines were obviously still running... they may still be running but we can't say for sure.  They could be offline.  Machines in NOAA server rooms are subject to an extreme amount of security regulations and even on a good day the IT folks are hard pressed to keep everything going.  So my guess is they are operating on skeleton crews and took all but the most important sites off the general internet.

You notice we are getting DNS redirects... so in other words, it's not as though they replaced their normal website with a banner... in fact it's relinking you a different machine altogether.  I heard speculation earlier that the machines were obviously still running... they may still be running but we can't say for sure.  They could be offline.  Machines in NOAA server rooms are subject to an extreme amount of security regulations and even on a good day the IT folks are hard pressed to keep everything going.  So my guess is they are operating on skeleton crews and took all but the most important sites off the general internet.

government can't even shut down a website properly :axe:

The sites are down because they likely were instructed to take everything that can generate a penny of cost (electricity, data charges) off line.

That's not what radarman described, he's saying the systems are online, but dns has changed.  It appears nothing is offline.  The bandwidth and power would be reduced, but not as much as shutting the systems.

the idea of shutting off certain websites is ridiculous. 

That's not what radarman described, he's saying the systems are online, but dns has changed.  It appears nothing is offline.  The bandwidth and power would be reduced, but not as much as shutting the systems.

Well, what I'm saying is we know dns has changed.  We don't know if stuff is online. 

By killing the connection to the general internet any bandwidth consumption will be drastically reduced.   Also the need for ongoing security is lessened significantly.  And sure the machines use power but unless we are expecting a very long shutdown it might be more expensive to power everything off.   The ramp back up to full ops is long and may contain surprises.

Archived