• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October Banter and discussion

CoastalWx

One thing to remember it only takes one big TC in either the WPAC and ATL to play around with the pattern. That certainly cannot be figured out this early.

Yep, its very volatile in mid to late autumn since the thermal gradients are increasing rapidly (cause the PJ to get stronger and more equatorward) but the tropical season is still relatively active...so you can get a lot of weird stuff going on.

One of the reasons that Cohen's stuff makes sense too...the massive area of snowpack advancing southward in Siberia promotes surface cooling (and strengthening of siberian high) which enhances the thermal gradient further south than it would be otherwise...so the PJ gets shunted south. A shunted south PJ has a better chance of transporting heat to the high latitudes via wave breaking or sucking in a TC from lower latitudes. That helps in disrupting the PV which is what we want obviously going into winter. Our fear is a well-formed PV that goes all the way into the stratosphere and just locks in for months like 2011-2012.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, its very volatile in mid to late autumn since the thermal gradients are increasing rapidly (cause the PJ to get stronger and more equatorward) but the tropical season is still relatively active...so you can get a lot of weird stuff going on.

One of the reasons that Cohen's stuff makes sense too...the massive area of snowpack advancing southward in Siberia promotes surface cooling (and strengthening of siberian high) which enhances the thermal gradient further south than it would be otherwise...so the PJ gets shunted south. A shunted south PJ has a better chance of transporting heat to the high latitudes via wave breaking or sucking in a TC from lower latitudes. That helps in disrupting the PV which is what we want obviously going into winter. Our fear is a well-formed PV that goes all the way into the stratosphere and just locks in for months like 2011-2012.

That's an interesting theory and may contribute to the correlation.  I'm not sure the part about the TC link has been written up or examined but that doesn't mean it's not valid.  We were looking pretty much exclusively at the EP flux mechanism when I was there years ago.

Giving a bit more thought it's curious that the SAI would correlate better than just a straight areal snowcover metric if the TC absorption played a big role, considering the tropical season is waning in general.  But I retain skepticism of the SAI and think sample size might play in a bit as to why it does better currently.

That's an interesting theory and may contribute to the correlation.  I'm not sure the part about the TC link has been written up or examined but that doesn't mean it's not valid.  We were looking pretty much exclusively at the EP flux mechanism when I was there years ago.

The TC phenomenon would not be common enough to make it a main contributor to the correlation...but physically it would make sense that it helps in keeping a disrupted PV.

There is definitely that EP or bottom up way to disturb the PV. Thinking from a potential temp view where you have "cold dome shapes" to the potential temp fields when looking at a cross section in the atmosphere. I was just talking with a met today about October. Since the MJO may not really cooperate in the near term, we'll need perhaps an extratropical type transition to really break up the PV and force some ridging near AK. Talking about the next 2-3 weeks.

If they are shutting off servers then there are going to be issues with restart.

It's not negotiable. There is no $$ to pay any costs. End of story. Ironically where I work there is funding thanks to multi year appropriations. But I recall in past years as a potential shut down was pending being told it would be illegal to use any govt equipment such as phones or log into servers.

It's not negotiable. There is no $$ to pay any costs. End of story. Ironically where I work there is funding thanks to multi year appropriations. But I recall in past years as a potential shut down was pending being told it would be illegal to use any govt equipment such as phones or log into servers.

that's BS, the electric bill is not paid daily

i think it's crap. go through your noaa links. i have plenty of obscure links that are definitely non-essential and not necessary to "protect life and property" that are still working fine. 

and who knows what percentage of noaa servers are run in-house vs out-sourced to private IT companies. 

Well it doesn't bury into China parabolic recurve into the Aleutians  after being on the edge of the China coast per the Euro

Fitow? That is going south of Shanghai. The current one (Sepat) isn't really going to do much.

Edit that's the forecast track. It still may go east of Shanghai, but I think the classic heat transport north won't happen this time.

It's not negotiable. There is no $$ to pay any costs. End of story. Ironically where I work there is funding thanks to multi year appropriations. But I recall in past years as a potential shut down was pending being told it would be illegal to use any govt equipment such as phones or log into servers.that's BS, the electric bill is not paid daily

But what is paid through 9/30 was budgeted and 10/1 onward so far isn't. Who knows?

i think it's crap. go through your noaa links. i have plenty of obscure links that are definitely non-essential and not necessary to "protect life and property" that are still working fine. 

and who knows what percentage of noaa servers are run in-house vs out-sourced to private IT companies. 

This reinforces my thinking that the decision is primarily concerning security.  Non-essential mainline sites are taken down.   The obscure sites probably are locked in their own DMZ  on the NOAA network posing only a local risk and thus not requiring round the clock staffed surveillance. 

Does not bury into China though, the energy recurves up to the Aleutins

The enhanced thermal gradient from the early snowcover and resultant compressed jet is probably helping with that dramatic recurve.  From a heat transport to the pole perspective, not sure if it helps that it go up into the Aleutians or if it would be better moving up into N China.

The enhanced thermal gradient from the early snowcover and resultant compressed jet is probably helping with that dramatic recurve.  From a heat transport to the pole perspective, not sure if it helps that it go up into the Aleutians or if it would be better moving up into N China.

Best route is east of Japan and east of Kamchatka towards the Aleutians. That way it builds a big ridge in the GOA and into AK. Most of the storms this season actually have gone west by a large margin.

This reinforces my thinking that the decision is primarily concerning security.  Non-essential mainline sites are taken down.   The obscure sites probably are locked in their own DMZ  on the NOAA network posing only a local risk and thus not requiring round the clock staffed surveillance. 

we'll probably never get a straight answer...but imo, it's just a simple case-by-case administrative decision. the entire epa website is still functioning fine. there's tons of examples of inconsistencies. 

obviously...there are plenty of people involved in the process...and they aren't all following the same exact protocol. 

we'll probably never get a straight answer...but imo, it's just a simple case-by-case administrative decision. the entire epa website is still functioning fine. there's tons of examples of inconsistencies. 

obviously...there are plenty of people involved in the process...and they aren't all following the same exact protocol. 

Thank God this link works. This should save life and property.

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/

Good point about outsourcing. Who knows?

what does this mean for sensible weather in New England? (if anything)

Well it's actually most active near the dateline which isn't what you want for cold weather, but again...it's not meant to indicate anything other than Siberia and AK staying cool. There are signs this may move west after mid month.

Archived