12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October Banter and discussion

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles are definitely cooler by the 15th...but that is way out in clown range. But it would be much more seasonable. Still not a great pattern for those October cold snaps that produce snow threats though...perhaps beyong that. There looks to be a lot of uncertainty in the evolution of the north PAC out in that time frame.

vegetation is dormat, hence the colors you see

There's still photosynthesis going on...just not as much. The colors are only seen in (still) living leaf cells...which is why a strong early season hard freeze is bad for foliage. It kills the cells and leaves just go brown and fall off.

So it's not quite dormant just yet...but I'm not sure if it would have any effect on temps like sometimes in the early-spring we seem to dry torch with no living vegetation.

PF and MPM having QPF attacks nightly, Kev with rhea, long fall ahead

I've actually been feeling better about winter lately. I like the way this is progressing so far. I see no issues with a warm October. Biggest issue (as it always is) will be if we see a wetter pattern develop as we go into November. Without moisture it can't snow, regardless of temps, haha...though I know you guys further south love your deep cold anomalies in winter more than QPF anomalies. Statistically speaking you should be more worried about temps while north worries about QPF.

Being shutdown is different from changing the default page to one that reads that the content is not available because of the budget.  If a server is off, you would get no response.  If it's on, you'd get the same old content that was there yesterday, only it wouldn't get updated.  To through up a message saying the content is unavailable due to the budget, that's playing politics.  It's not just weather sites either, you can't get to National Park Websites or the USDA (the AG department).  I understand closing the physical places, but not changing the homepage to read something that isn't true.

Just my 2¢

Some of the NWS sites (I have a bunch of the text products bookmarked) now forward you on to governmentshutdown.noaa.gov. Earlier the same URLs were 404.

Euro ensembles are definitely cooler by the 15th...but that is way out in clown range. But it would be much more seasonable. Still not a great pattern for those October cold snaps that produce snow threats though...perhaps beyong that. There looks to be a lot of uncertainty in the evolution of the north PAC out in that time frame.

So we have 15 more days of massive heat like this week and then a possible mild down? Ugh. Hopefully there's at least some rain events mixed in

Summer like night out there. Just grilled some burgers and the temp is 67.2/60. Crickets are deafening in the woods. Summer smell in air. Only thing that reminds me it's Oct and what should be the start of cold season is all the early color change weeks ahead of schedule and all the deck furniture put away for winter

Summer like night out there. Just grilled some burgers and the temp is 67.2/60. Crickets are deafening in the woods. Summer smell in air. Only thing that reminds me it's Oct and what should be the start of cold season is all the early color change weeks ahead of schedule and all the deck furniture put away for winter

When do you put your deck furniture away for the winter...why so early? You really do expect winter to come roaring in in October huh? I put that stuff in storage in the basement after like Halloween.

More serious question...how early do you guys in SNE think the foliage is? If it's weeks ahead, you think the trees are where they normally would be like in the last week or two of October?

When do you put your deck furniture away for the winter...why so early? You really do expect winter to come roaring in in October huh? I put that stuff in storage in the basement after like Halloween.

More serious question...how early do you guys in SNE think the foliage is? If it's weeks ahead, you think the trees are where they normally would be like in the last week or two of October?

I usually put it away mid to late Sept. We don't sit out there once school and soccer starts and it's dark before 7:00. I don't expect winter cold in Oct just cool to chilly nights that no one would want to sit on their deck eating dinner in.

At least in NE CT I'd say there are at least 10 days ahead of schedule, up until this disaster we've had perfect leaf changing wx with dry chilly nights and sunny days

Isn't this much better than temps in the 40s with a stiff wind?

In April or May yes. Not in October. Seasons in seasons

Doesn't October average warmer temps than April? Thats not seasons in seasons logic to poo poo 40s in April and love them in October.

Your "seasons in seasons" logic breaks down in spring and fall. You want those two seasons to actually be more like the season they pre-date, not what is "normal" for those seasons.

I usually put it away mid to late Sept. We don't sit out there once school and soccer starts and it's dark before 7:00. I don't expect winter cold in Oct just cool to chilly nights that no one would want to sit on their deck eating dinner in.

At least in NE CT I'd say there are at least 10 days ahead of schedule, up until this disaster we've had perfect leaf changing wx with dry chilly nights and sunny days

That's legit...didn't think of the family dynamic. I remember growing up we never seemed to make it back to eating on the deck once school started and after-school sports got going. These days I'll still go out with the girlfriend and sip beverages on the porch regardless of temps...so that patio furniture isn't going away anytime soon.

I don't see anything different on the timing of the change here in GC.,  What I am seeing is that the leaves are dropping nearly as fast as they're changing.  As a result, I think the foliage season will be a combination of short and not too dramatic.  Might be different down in other areas.

The fall foliage is rapidly approaching peak here and should peak this weekend, which is a bit ahead of schedule. The higher spots are probably peaking now.

There are lots of reds and oranges as this pattern has been ideal for bringing out the best of the color.

Oaks are still mostly green, but maples, birches, and ashes are beginning to peak.

I don't see anything different on the timing of the change here in GC., What I am seeing is that the leaves are dropping nearly as fast as they're changing. As a result, I think the foliage season will be a combination of short and not too dramatic. Might be different down in other areas.

going to be spectacular here. Your report of dropping as soon as they change is coming from a lot of places, today hereIMG_20131001_201926.jpg

Being shutdown is different from changing the default page to one that reads that the content is not available because of the budget.  If a server is off, you would get no response.  If it's on, you'd get the same old content that was there yesterday, only it wouldn't get updated.  To through up a message saying the content is unavailable due to the budget, that's playing politics.  It's not just weather sites either, you can't get to National Park Websites or the USDA (the AG department).  I understand closing the physical places, but not changing the homepage to read something that isn't true.

Just my 2¢

I get what you're saying. But they aren't just closing the places, they are shutting them off. That goes for computers/servers too. They don't have the funds to pay the bills to keep the lights on. My comment was more guessing at this is being hosted somewhere else that isn't closed, or it is bare bones what's left.

dec 07 was a big snow month for sne but jan and feb were dud months outside of a few moderate storms

I think he was thinking of '08-'09 too down where he is...'07-'08 was awful in SW CT but it was solid from central SNE northward. (epic in CNE/NNE)

Archived