12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw Gravity.  The best space movie EVER.  Incredible, awe-inspiring, stunning...don't have enough superlatives.

Sounds like you really liked it.. maybe a good "investment" for me to consider.. :P

on a weather note. it really is an awful October day, finished some deck staining this morning that I had been putting off until the nice fall weather.. should have done it in August... it was nicer then.

Sounds like you really liked it.. maybe a good "investment" for me to consider.. :P

on a weather note. it really is an awful October day, finished some deck staining this morning that I had been putting off until the nice fall weather.. should have done it in August... it was nicer then.

I did some yardwork today and it felt like I was on the verge of heat stroke the entire time.  Just horrific weather.

Went to the MD Renn Fare Saturday and it was disgustingly hot! I like to go in October because it is normally in the 60 or 70s with great walking weather and we look forward to the warm days and crisp evenings. It was downright nasty to walk around 5 hours in searing heat. We dressed for the heat but it honestly felt like 100 in the sun. This year Memorial weekend it was in the low 40s and windy when my 6 year old was playing baseball and the kids had a hard time dealing with the cold, now a week into October we are cooking in extreme heat. Very strange weather year. Seems like out of season extremes were more common this year. Heck we had 6 inches of snow this year here during the last several days of March, what will the winter bring 80s on Christmas, lol!

Went to the MD Renn Fare Saturday and it was disgustingly hot! I like to go in October because it is normally in the 60 or 70s with great walking weather and we look forward to the warm days and crisp evenings. It was downright nasty to walk around 5 hours in searing heat. We dressed for the heat but it honestly felt like 100 in the sun. This year Memorial weekend it was in the low 40s and windy when my 6 year old was playing baseball and the kids had a hard time dealing with the cold, now a week into October we are cooking in extreme heat. Very strange weather year. Seems like out of season extremes were more common this year. Heck we had 6 inches of snow this year here during the last several days of March, what will the winter bring 80s on Christmas, lol!

I went to Renn Fest two weeks ago with the family and while warm it wasn't anywhere near as hot as this weekend so I feel for you.  I'm sure the wine and meade vendors loved it, tho.

Here are the numbers for the first week of October at Winchester:

Highs:  +14.8

Lows:   +10.3

Incredible.  This was the worst week of October weather that I can ever recall.  The rest of the month is looking somewhat more seasonal (but continued dry) according to the long range, but still no real cool air.  LR not liking the odds for first freeze anytime in October.

We get it.  You don't like warm weather in the fall.

:violin:

:lol:

Thanks H20. Hard to parade little kids around 5 hours in 90 degree heat! I dont mind warm weather in the fall at all. I expect it around here. 90 degrees is uncomfortable anytime even peak summer, for October I consider 80 hot, but 90 is downright brutal. That is dog day of summer beach weather!

OT question...where can I go to get a 1/4" hole drilled in a piece of metal?  Will Lowes or Home Depot do that?

Any place with a drill press but probably not hd or lowes. If you have an industrial park nearby there's probably multiple shops who can do it for you. A sixpack would get the job done. 

Any place with a drill press but probably not hd or lowes. If you have an industrial park nearby there's probably multiple shops who can do it for you. A sixpack would get the job done.

Yeah, I agree. I work at a school near him and probably can do it for him. I'd just need the metal bit and a little oil because our shop is exclusively a wood shop.

OT question...where can I go to get a 1/4" hole drilled in a piece of metal? Will Lowes or Home Depot do that?

If you have titanium bits, they'll go through it easy. If not, go slow, drop a drop of machine oil in the hole occasionally. You should be fine.

You can take a heavy nail and hit a few times where you want the hole. This will give you a tiny starter indentation. Keep you bit from wandering when you first start drilling.

A drill press certainly helps, but not a necessity. I would clamp the metal down however.

Just curious, did he know it was brass or was it just brass colored? The reason I ask is the titanium bits are brass colored. Those suckers will drill through anything.

Don't know.  He said "brass" on the phone.  They were brass colored, not sure if they were actually made of brass.  The case didn't say.  Just said they were all purpose. 

Archived