amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have an idea about the fall foliage peak times for the Mid Atlantic? I am traveling out to Gettysburg, Pa the weekend of Oct 19th and was wondering how the colors are that time of year. I'll be flying into DC so I wouldn't mind heading to Shenandoah for a day before I go up to Gettysburg, but have never been out that way in the fall as I usually come out east in June. Any help would be appreciated. 

First Facebook wall snow pics just popped up.  This year - Butte, MT.

it's snowed in the rockies a few times over the past 10-14 days or so. california et al got snow starting this past weekend too.  plus mount washington the other day. 

Does anyone have an idea about the fall foliage peak times for the Mid Atlantic? I am traveling out to Gettysburg, Pa the weekend of Oct 19th and was wondering how the colors are that time of year. I'll be flying into DC so I wouldn't mind heading to Shenandoah for a day before I go up to Gettysburg, but have never been out that way in the fall as I usually come out east in June. Any help would be appreciated. 

Depends on the elevation.  If you go up high, say Skyline Drive, then it's usually good color by the first week in Oct and probably peaks in week 2.  Down in the valley, those dates run 1 - 2 weeks later.  This year seems like it's running a little faster than normal.

it's snowed in the rockies a few times over the past 10-14 days or so. california et al got snow starting this past weekend too.  plus mount washington the other day. 

It can snow most anytime if conditions are right in the west.  I have been working my ass off on our "investment" (dirty word and way too much context for some on the forum, should have just posted random photos thousands of miles from home with no context so as to not offend anyone) property here in Bend OR.

Took a few hours yesterday to putter around Cascade Lakes area around Mt Bachelor (20 miles from our property)

Nice to be in fresh snow.  Here is a photo from yesterday, Took a bunch of pictures but the files are huge. There looked like a good dumping above 7,500" other than that I got into snow around 6,000'. Ground was frozen with a touch of ice on the water of Sparks Lake.

post-4831-0-46462900-1380279215_thumb.jp

Looking forward to taking photos of my investment properties and posting them for everyone.

This is the banter thread, I am a full time resident of the MA and have been for all of my life.

Others posted photos of Utah webcam snow, I happened to catch an early snow on my western travels.

I am excited that if things work out enough someday I will be living in a different climate that is a short drive to big snow country? Yes I am, sorry if it annoys you that I am busting my ass and planning for retirement in a different location sometime in the future.   

glad some others enjoyed the photos of the seasons first snow out here... 

This is the banter thread, I am a full time resident of the MA and have been for all of my life.

Others posted photos of Utah webcam snow, I happened to catch an early snow on my western travels.

I am excited that if things work out enough someday I will be living in a different climate that is a short drive to big snow country? Yes I am, sorry if it annoys you that I am busting my ass and planning for retirement in a different location sometime in the future.   

I think you are missing the point.  I don't think anyone is annoyed that you are planning for retirement.  I think it is the specific references to your "investment property" that are annoying.  Now if you will excuse me, I am off to Monte Carlo to check out some investment properties.

Well, I know I enjoyed them, hope one day to do as you are doing, heading somewhere that is more 'snow friendly' than the MA. :) BTW, great photo!

I think you are missing the point.  I don't think anyone is annoyed that you are planning for retirement.  I think it is the specific references to your "investment property" that are annoying.  Now if you will excuse me, I am off to Monte Carlo to check out some investment properties.

I'm getting ready to go to town in my 87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe, does that count?

In weather news, first morning in about a week we haven't been fogged in until 9 or 10 in the morning.

I think you are missing the point. I don't think anyone is annoyed that you are planning for retirement. I think it is the specific references to your "investment property" that are annoying. Now if you will excuse me, I am off to Monte Carlo to check out some investment properties.

Someone is paying attention.

Many of your posts come off as pretentious, snownut. You may not mean it that way, but it can sound that way (to me, at least).

I enjoy your posts. You have to have a thick skin around here. We have plenty of post police. Probably gonna get ugly this winter.

Someone is paying attention.

Many of your posts come off as pretentious, snownut. You may not mean it that way, but it can sound that way (to me, at least).

thanks for the honest perspective, certainly not my intention, I will work to leave narrative content out and stick to weather only.

On a weather note I am attracted to the extreme climate of the cascades and what happens over short distances, more big snows today in the area I posted pictures but talk about fast snow pack, check out forecast for Mt Rainer:

• Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature falling to around 27 by 5pm. Windy, with a south southwest wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible.
  • Tonight Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 21. Windy, with a southwest wind 26 to 34 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 34 to 40 inches possible.
  • Monday Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 27. Breezy, with a southwest wind 24 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 25 to 31 inches possible.
  • Monday Night Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 18. Breezy, with a southwest wind 22 to 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 22 to 28 inches possible.
  • Tuesday Snow showers likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 25. Southwest wind 17 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.
  • Tuesday Night A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
  • Wednesday A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 24. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Why would it be annoying that someone has an investment property?. Oh right I forgot it is a crime to make something of yourself in this country :facepalm: .

Archived