Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, looking at history you should get close to that. But my forecast is about as reliable as Ji's.

I happened to look up the Jan 2011 storm, the one that caused 83 to become a standstill up here... yeah, that dumped near a foot in Parkton. I think I received maybe 6 inches when we were living in Odenton at the time.

I happened to look up the Jan 2011 storm, the one that caused 83 to become a standstill up here... yeah, that dumped near a foot in Parkton. I think I received maybe 6 inches when we were living in Odenton at the time.

There you go so my 30" is ingenious forecasting ;) . I really am a little jealous of you, I think my move will cause me to lose 5" in an average winter. In that Jan 2011 storm I am almost sure I got 11".

There you go so my 30" is ingenious forecasting ;) . I really am a little jealous of you, I think my move will cause me to lose 5" in an average winter. In that Jan 2011 storm I am almost sure I got 11".

I'm hopeful my ~730 elevation will help in marginal events.

Jealous Bob is jealous

To be honest, there isnt much of a difference between Timonium and Parkton area. It is a slight benefit in some crucial temps where it will end as light snow in Parkton and a slop mix in Cockeysville/Timonium. But there really isn't a heck of a lot of difference in snowfall per season between the two areas ;)

To be honest, there isnt much of a difference between Timonium and Parkton area. It is a slight benefit in some crucial temps where it will end as light snow in Parkton and a slop mix in Cockeysville/Timonium. But there really isn't a heck of a lot of difference in snowfall per season between the two areas ;)

Yeah my backyard does well in most marginal events. But one example of a big difference was October 2011..... we had 35 degree rain/sleet/slop most of the day so I drove north, and after just a few minutes on 83, it switched over to snow. Being my first snow chase ever, and in October no less, I couldn't believe what I was about to see. I'm pretty sure areas near the M/D line ended up with 4-8".

Yeah my backyard does well in most marginal events. But one example of a big difference was October 2011..... we had 35 degree rain/sleet/slop most of the day so I drove north, and after just a few minutes on 83, it switched over to snow. Being my first snow chase ever, and in October no less, I couldn't believe what I was about to see. I'm pretty sure areas near the M/D line ended up with 4-8".

Oh for sure there are certain set ups, like what you mentioned, but it isnt always like that, as you know from living there for so long. When we first moved there, I wanted to go far north as possible but still close enough for my wife to commute to work and the only reason why was i wanted to go further north was because of snow, :lol:  But after a few storms, I realized there isnt much of a difference. in early season or late season systems you manage to do a little better but in the end if averages out to be very similar between the two locals. :)

This is 100% correct. You really have to get up into Southern PA or NW into northern Carroll county before you see a difference. Having lived in southern York Co. for 10 years, I noticed that we always seemed to do better than areas in the Middletown and Mt Carmel Rd corridors, but the difference between those areas and say, Shawan Rd off I-83 wasn't that great.

This is 100% correct. You really have to get up into Southern PA or NW into northern Carroll county before you see a difference. Having lived in southern York Co. for 10 years, I noticed that we always seemed to do better than areas in the Middletown and Mt Carmel Rd corridors, but the difference between those areas and say, Shawan Rd off I-83 wasn't that great.

agreed!

December 5, 2009 was a huge difference in just having my 325' and slightly west location compared to places about 10 miles east. It snowed all day and I ended up with 5"' s there's no doubt about the benefit of some elevation and west/north location.

Like I said, it depends on the type of storm and the set up. sometimes it does have a slight advantage but in reality it all averages out in the end where there isnt much difference. I agree that being North and West of the big cities on the eastern seaboard is a plus.

Oh for sure there are certain set ups, like what you mentioned, but it isnt always like that, as you know from living there for so long. When we first moved there, I wanted to go far north as possible but still close enough for my wife to commute to work and the only reason why was i wanted to go further north was because of snow, :lol:  But after a few storms, I realized there isnt much of a difference. in early season or late season systems you manage to do a little better but in the end if averages out to be very similar between the two locals. :)

I think what really matters the most is being at least couple hundred feet in elevation and west of I-95/the fall line. Anything higher or further north after that is better, but there are diminishing returns. My backyard got 14" in January 2011 (not that I was there when it happened :( ) and of course, 12/5/2009 was the storm that got me obsessed with my 600'+ elevation :lol:

Back in high school I was usually bummed when the "Hereford zone" had delays when we didn't or had the day off when we had delays, but in terms of actual weather I didn't think I missed a whole lot and it mainly seems there to distinguish between Parkton/Hereford and "warm" places like Dundalk or Essex.

I think what really matters the most is being at least couple hundred feet in elevation and west of I-95/the fall line. Anything higher or further north after that is better, but there are diminishing returns. My backyard got 14" in January 2011 and of course, 12/5/2009 was the storm that got me obsessed with my 600'+ elevation :lol:

Back in high school I was usually bummed when the "Hereford zone" had delays when we didn't or had the day off when we had delays, but in terms of actual weather I didn't think I missed a whole lot and it mainly seems there to distinguish between Parkton and places like Dundalk or Essex.

Yep, that fall line is a magic line in those certain set ups. I was kind of glad my parents moved to far NW NJ when I was a kid and we would be much colder than say in Morris county and their bosses would be like what are you talking about. it is raining here and we would have 10" of snow. That was a much more difference in elevation though than what we are talking about here.

In all seriousness, I get what Dave is saying. Looking back at some of the bigger storms to hit the area, Parkton didn't do as well as say Cockeysville or even Odenton. But Parkton did well in early/late events, like the October one Fozz mentioned. I'm more excited about those events...where it's raining in Cockeysville or places south, but snowing at my house :)

I just want one good storm this winter. I've got such a great backyard that I want K to be able to out and play in the snow. The dog (soon to be dogs) too!

In all seriousness, I get what Dave is saying. Looking back at some of the bigger storms to hit the area, Parkton didn't do as well as say Cockeysville or even Odenton. But Parkton did well in early/late events, like the October one Fozz mentioned. I'm more excited about those events...where it's raining in Cockeysville or places south, but snowing at my house :)

I just want one good storm this winter. I've got such a great backyard that I want K to be able to out and play in the snow. The dog (soon to be dogs) too!You'll

You''ll be ok, it is a great area for sure and Im sure you and K will enjoy the snows up there :)

Archived