• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
October Banter Thread

H2O

The first one was a big pain... I felt like it was weeks before it fully came through and she wasn't bothered by it anymore. The second one came through overnight with little to no fanfare. Now her top teeth are bothering her. I can feel them beneath the gums, which are a little swollen. Thankfully she takes children's motrin pretty well, and ora-gel. We usually only give it to her at bedtime, and so far she seems to be ok with it. But she doesn't want the bottle as much during the day, which is a pain. She is getting plenty to eat in solid foods, but I just worry about dehydrated. Hell, over the weekend I even tried to get her to use a straw to see if it helped! She couldn't quite figure it out haha.

Just another day in baby land! :)

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh...I love when one parent tries to tell another parent how horrible it is trying to raise a child.

"Oh...you just wait until he/she gets to X age and has Y happen to him/her.  That's when it gets reeeeeaaaaallllly bad.  Please share in my misery.  Pretty please?"

:lol:

I don't think that is what he was trying to do -- I've been given plenty of warning that some teeth are worse than others when they come in, but I also know that each child is different.

Yours for example slept really well early on than mine did. It is what it is. We as parents just gotta do what we think is best for our child, while provide enough support for others without trying to tell them what to do.

The first one was a big pain... I felt like it was weeks before it fully came through and she wasn't bothered by it anymore. The second one came through overnight with little to no fanfare. Now her top teeth are bothering her. I can feel them beneath the gums, which are a little swollen. Thankfully she takes children's motrin pretty well, and ora-gel. We usually only give it to her at bedtime, and so far she seems to be ok with it. But she doesn't want the bottle as much during the day, which is a pain. She is getting plenty to eat in solid foods, but I just worry about dehydrated. Hell, over the weekend I even tried to get her to use a straw to see if it helped! She couldn't quite figure it out haha.

Just another day in baby land! :)

Our doctor told us not to give our daughter ora-gel, and I think the label on the bottle has a disclaimer to not give to children under 4 (or some other ridiculous age after which a child wouldn't need it anyway).  Did your doctor say it was okay?  That probably would've been really helpful when ours was teething.

I don't think that is what he was trying to do -- I've been given plenty of warning that some teeth are worse than others when they come in, but I also know that each child is different.

Yours for example slept really well early on than mine did. It is what it is. We as parents just gotta do what we think is best for our child, while provide enough support for others without trying to tell them what to do.

Ahhh...I love when one parent tries to tell another parent how horrible it is trying to raise a child.

"Oh...you just wait until he/she gets to X age and has Y happen to him/her.  That's when it gets reeeeeaaaaallllly bad.  Please share in my misery.  Pretty please?"

My daughter will be 18 in February, i still take all the parenting advice i can get. I'll also take any cah donations as she was accepted to Millersville :beer:

Our doctor told us not to give our daughter ora-gel, and I think the label on the bottle has a disclaimer to not give to children under 4 (or some other ridiculous age after which a child wouldn't need it anyway).  Did your doctor say it was okay?  That probably would've been really helpful when ours was teething.

Never even considered asking my doctor -- i mean, its baby ora-gel... for babies? lol

Our parents didn't have all these fancy meds, they would rub some Whiskey on our gums.......

I have twin 16 year year old girls. I've earned my right to advise, b!tch and kick puppies. 

I completely agree about doing what we think is best for our kids.  Absolutely no disagreement on that!  My post was in jest about the nature of a lot of parental advice.

My wife and I think it's funny (hence my joking post) when someone gets advice (solicited or unsolicited) on being a parent, and that advice is based around the misery that children bring to parents' lives.  Misery loves company, so it's human nature for people to want to share their trials and tribulations.  But, as you mentioned, the fact is that every child is different and brings their own set of "problems" that parents deal with in their own way.  Just because one kid had problems with their big teeth coming in doesn't mean my or your babies will have the same problem.  Or just because we may have had issues with our little girl when she started rolling doesn't mean that your or someone else's kids will, too.

Case in point: When our daughter was about a week old, and my wife and I were just figuring out how to keep her alive ( :lol:), one of our best friends came over and started going on and on about how we were going to have to deal with problems X, Y, and Z, and that it wouldn't get better until she was six months old, etc.  And that "advice" didn't help us in the freaking least!  All it did was get us freaked out about how we have to deal with all these problems for the next six months - that seemed like an eternity!  Believe me when I say that we wanted to wring our friend's neck as she was telling us this! :lol: Now we just take the baby horror stories with a grain of salt - appreciating the fact that people may think they're helping us - and just deal with any issues as they come up...

Like it taking three hours to get a fussy baby to sleep last night, only to be jolted out of sleep 90 minutes later to her crying like a banshee, then taking another 40 minutes to convince her that it was *really* time for her to stay down for the night! :lol:

I don't think anyone was trying to tell anyone how horrible it is raising a child. Was merely sharing an experience. Is there a problem with that?

I completely agree about doing what we think is best for our kids.  Absolutely no disagreement on that!  My post was in jest about the nature of a lot of parental advice.

My wife and I think it's funny (hence my joking post) when someone gets advice (solicited or unsolicited) on being a parent, and that advice is based around the misery that children bring to parents' lives.  Misery loves company, so it's human nature for people to want to share their trials and tribulations.  But, as you mentioned, the fact is that every child is different and brings their own set of "problems" that parents deal with in their own way.  Just because one kid had problems with their big teeth coming in doesn't mean my or your babies will have the same problem.  Or just because we may have had issues with our little girl when she started rolling doesn't mean that your or someone else's kids will, too.

Case in point: When our daughter was about a week old, and my wife and I were just figuring out how to keep her alive ( :lol:), one of our best friends came over and started going on and on about how we were going to have to deal with problems X, Y, and Z, and that it wouldn't get better until she was six months old, etc.  And that "advice" didn't help us in the freaking least!  All it did was get us freaked out about how we have to deal with all these problems for the next six months - that seemed like an eternity!  Believe me when I say that we wanted to wring our friend's neck as she was telling us this! :lol: Now we just take the baby horror stories with a grain of salt - appreciating the fact that people may think they're helping us - and just deal with any issues as they come up...

Like it taking three hours to get a fussy baby to sleep last night, only to be jolted out of sleep 90 minutes later to her crying like a banshee, then taking another 40 minutes to convince her that it was *really* time for her to stay down for the night! :lol:

I feel your pain, re: crying baby. Mine for whatever reason has now decided she doesn't want to go down at bedtime. Up until last night, her going down for bed has never ever been an issue. She has always been very good at self soothing, and we have always been able to put her down and walk out of the room with no issues.

Last night she cried, and cried, and cried. It took a lot for me not to go in and check on her. She was full and had a clean diaper. She wasn't hot or cold. She just didn't want to sleep. Eventually she stopped and slept through the night (yay!), but man... talk about a change.

Is yours crawling yet? I can't remember if you have mentioned she was or not. K took her first unsupported step Sunday. I ordered one of those walker toys Sunday night, should be here tomorrow.

Between teethiing, college and unsolicited advice this makes me happy we aren't having kids.

well in defense to those of us who have kids, or want more kids: teething, college and unsolicited advice are minor and not the end all be all with having kids.

But, to each their own :)

I feel your pain, re: crying baby. Mine for whatever reason has now decided she doesn't want to go down at bedtime. Up until last night, her going down for bed has never ever been an issue. She has always been very good at self soothing, and we have always been able to put her down and walk out of the room with no issues.

Last night she cried, and cried, and cried. It took a lot for me not to go in and check on her. She was full and had a clean diaper. She wasn't hot or cold. She just didn't want to sleep. Eventually she stopped and slept through the night (yay!), but man... talk about a change.

Is yours crawling yet? I can't remember if you have mentioned she was or not. K took her first unsupported step Sunday. I ordered one of those walker toys Sunday night, should be here tomorrow.

Good God, do I wish we could put ours down and have her fall asleep on her own.  Lucky you!  I think her Grandma got her started on the falling-asleep-in-the-arms thing when she watched her from eight weeks until about 24 weeks.  Not our fault at all! :lol:

B had a cold and a stomach bug - with resultant horrific diaper rash - for about three or four weeks total before that, so she wasn't sleeping well at all.  But even though she's been sleeping great for the last few weeks, last night was a bear.  I think she's got a bunch of teeth coming in (she only has the bottom two right now), so she may be getting uncomfortable from that.

Yup - she's been crawling in some fashion for almost two months now, so now she's like a little turbo-charged cockroach!  First unsupported step already?  That's incredible!  We're just started "teaching" B to stand on her own.  The best she's done is a few seconds so far, but she's got really good balance so I think she'll get it soon enough.

Why would you be happy you were not having kids. Having kids is without a doubt the greatest thing a person can have in life.

I know quite a few couples who do not want kids -- some people just don't want them. My best friend and her husband, they travel all the time, can spend money on whatever they want without worrying about daycare, extra food costs, diapers, etc. One of my sisters and her boyfriend do not want kids either. She just wants to be the "cool aunt". Nothing wrong with it.

Good God, do I wish we could put ours down and have her fall asleep on her own.  Lucky you!  I think her Grandma got her started on the falling-asleep-in-the-arms thing when she watched her from eight weeks until about 24 weeks.  Not our fault at all! :lol:

B had a cold and a stomach bug - with resultant horrific diaper rash - for about three or four weeks total before that, so she wasn't sleeping well at all.  But even though she's been sleeping great for the last few weeks, last night was a bear.  I think she's got a bunch of teeth coming in (she only has the bottom two right now), so she may be getting uncomfortable from that.

Yup - she's been crawling in some fashion for almost two months now, so now she's like a little turbo-charged cockroach!  First unsupported step already?  That's incredible!  We're just started "teaching" B to stand on her own.  The best she's done is a few seconds so far, but she's got really good balance so I think she'll get it soon enough.

Yeah, she has been standing and furniture cruising for a while now, hell she was doing that before she really started crawling. But now its all she wants to do, pretty much will only crawl if there is absolutely nothing around for her to hold on to if she needs to get from point A to point B. And I mean anything; us, the dog, a wall... you name it, she will use it to get her to where she wants to go. There is no doubt she will be walking before she turns one.

Yeah, she has been standing and furniture cruising for a while now, hell she was doing that before she really started crawling. But now its all she wants to do, pretty much will only crawl if there is absolutely nothing around for her to hold on to if she needs to get from point A to point B. And I mean anything; us, the dog, a wall... you name it, she will use it to get her to where she wants to go. There is no doubt she will be walking before she turns one.

Very similar story.  She's been pulling herself up onto things for quite a while, and started cruising a few weeks ago.  Now she sees something she wants to climb and makes a bee line for it.  And stairs...she *loves* stairs. :eek:

And she loves to harrass our dog.  He takes it all in stride though!

Very similar story.  She's been pulling herself up onto things for quite a while, and started cruising a few weeks ago.  Now she sees something she wants to climb and makes a bee line for it.  And stairs...she *loves* stairs. :eek:

And she loves to harrass our dog.  He takes it all in stride though!

K only discovered stairs for the first time this weekend. We usually keep her upstairs and have the stairs blocked off. But I had her downstairs with me while doing some laundry and she was like..ooo what are these? and up she went. She got halfway up, stopped, turned and looked at me and started crying. Guess she wasn't a fan of being up there. Fine by me!

Our dog takes in stride too. They have a new game together -- stealing each others toys. She will take on of his, he chases her around and vice versa with him taking hers. Its quite funny to watch. Thankfully he is gentle and never territorial with his toys. We are rescuing another one so will be fun to see how two dogs vs baby go :lol:

K only discovered stairs for the first time this weekend. We usually keep her upstairs and have the stairs blocked off. But I had her downstairs with me while doing some laundry and she was like..ooo what are these? and up she went. She got halfway up, stopped, turned and looked at me and started crying. Guess she wasn't a fan of being up there. Fine by me!

Our dog takes in stride too. They have a new game together -- stealing each others toys. She will take on of his, he chases her around and vice versa with him taking hers. Its quite funny to watch. Thankfully he is gentle and never territorial with his toys. We are rescuing another one so will be fun to see how two dogs vs baby go :lol:

My wife is home with B, so she has no choice but to let her explore.  We have a set of three carpeted steps going from the family room into the foyer, and she's been going up those almost since she started crawling.  The steps going up to the upstairs is a different proposition altogether - ten hardwood steps that are a danger to adults, let alone babies!  But she can crawl all the way up without any problems - we just make sure to stay behind her the whole way.  She's a beast! :lol:

I'm with you all the way on stealing toys.  B isn't quite ready to actually take our dog's toys, but she's figured out that some toys are more fun (and tasty) than others.  It's only a matter of time before she goes after all of them, but I think he figures it's a good tradeoff if she can reciprocate with spillage from the high chair...

I know quite a few couples who do not want kids -- some people just don't want them. My best friend and her husband, they travel all the time, can spend money on whatever they want without worrying about daycare, extra food costs, diapers, etc. One of my sisters and her boyfriend do not want kids either. She just wants to be the "cool aunt". Nothing wrong with it.

I guess when you have 5 beautiful kids it is hard to understand the view of people who do not want children. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that view, i just find it very hard to understand.

I guess when you have 5 beautiful kids it is hard to understand the view of people who do not want children. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that view, i just find it very hard to understand.

I know. I had a hard time grasping it myself.

My wife is home with B, so she has no choice but to let her explore. We have a set of three carpeted steps going from the family room into the foyer, and she's been going up those almost since she started crawling. The steps going up to the upstairs is a different proposition altogether - ten hardwood steps that are a danger to adults, let alone babies! But she can crawl all the way up without any problems - we just make sure to stay behind her the whole way. She's a beast! :lol:

I'm with you all the way on stealing toys. B isn't quite ready to actually take our dog's toys, but she's figured out that some toys are more fun (and tasty) than others. It's only a matter of time before she goes after all of them, but I think he figures it's a good tradeoff if she can reciprocate with spillage from the high chair...

Lol yes, our dog loves dinner time! Something is bound to fall in the floor

Archived