12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They only have two seasons there. 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor skiing.

Went with friends to Snowshoe over President's Day a few years ago, and there was no snow on the mountain except for the man-made stuff on the slopes. And I think we got mix-to-light-rained on during the trip, too. Absolutely horrible.

Of course, we've had more trips with plenty of snow than not, but that year was a joke.

In the fall of 2009, cedar waxwings picked my holly tree clean over two days.

In 2010, robins ate their fill over the course of 10 days or so.

In 2011 and 2012, nothing bothered to feed on the holly.

This year, nothing.

Bad omen...

I accidentally stepped on a wooly caterpillar the other day. Jinxed us

Does anyone have a recipe for pepper sauce?  I've got a lot of hot and sweet peppers that I'm taking off the plants this afternoon, and I'd like to put them to good use.

A real simple recipe is to bring a couple of cups of vinegar, a tablespoon or so of sugar, a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of olive oil to a boil. Then pour it over the sliced, seeded peppers (about 15 of them) in a canning jar. Give it at least a few days, and you're good to go.

You can add other ingredients that you like, either onion powder and garlic salt, or cumin and garlic which is also good.

A real simple recipe is to bring a couple of cups of vinegar, a tablespoon or so of sugar, a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of olive oil to a boil. Then pour it over the sliced, seeded peppers (about 15 of them) in a canning jar. Give it at least a few days, and you're good to go.

You can add other ingredients that you like, either onion powder and garlic salt, or cumin and garlic which is also good.

Hey, thanks for the recipe.  I just got done stripping the plants of the remaining peppers so I'll be busy this weekend. I've got two full grocery bags of sweet peppers, of which about half are the banana variety.  For the hot peppers, I might try this...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/homemade-red-hot-sauce-recipe/reviews/index.html

Hey, thanks for the recipe.  I just got done stripping the plants of the remaining peppers so I'll be busy this weekend. I've got two full grocery bags of sweet peppers, of which about half are the banana variety.  For the hot peppers, I might try this...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/homemade-red-hot-sauce-recipe/reviews/index.html

Looks good ! With that many, you can also try freezing some. There are different methods, depending on how you will eventually be using them. This is a good primer: http://www.pickyourown.org/peppersfreezing.htm

worst part, i just bought it last night. should have looked at the forecast, i guess. :(

We had a lion costume for Ben when he was 2 and it was a warm halloween.  I don't know who was more miserable, him or me who had to shoulder carry him the whole time.

Does anyone have a recipe for pepper sauce?  I've got a lot of hot and sweet peppers that I'm taking off the plants this afternoon, and I'd like to put them to good use.

That's a good one. Going to do that. 

An old PA Dutch thing is hot pepper vinegar. You simply go with 1 teaspoon of salt per 2 cups of vinegar with as many peppers as you think you can handle, then boil the vinegar for about 2-3 minutes. Put the mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. Might want to open windows when you are doing that. It's simple and great. 

Went with friends to Snowshoe over President's Day a few years ago, and there was no snow on the mountain except for the man-made stuff on the slopes. And I think we got mix-to-light-rained on during the trip, too. Absolutely horrible.

Of course, we've had more trips with plenty of snow than not, but that year was a joke.

Timberline has more snow on a very consistent basis.

Archived