e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The great July heat wave of 2013

Ian

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Washed over in clouds here. Went out to get the mail a bit ago and its not too bad outside.

OT - today is a BGE energy savings day. The last one was last week while we were out of town on vacation. Received a credit of $19.25 because we used so little energy last Wednesday.

this heat wave is pretty pedestrian so far..even in the cold summer of 2009 we hit 95, 5 times....big story of the summer is mins...July 2011 was 75.4...we are at 75 after today...we could make a run at it which is nuts considering our max after today will still be below 89

It was never really supposed to be more than that, though.  The GFS has been running a couple of degrees too warm, but the rest of the modeling has been doing well as far as I can tell. 

5 days 95+ in a row happens only in about 10%-15% of summers at DC. not 2010-2012 like but not sure it's crap either.  on the whole the summer hasn't been too impressive thus far tho with highs.

Probably only interesting to me, but last summer I could generally attach a +4 or +5 to my weather station's high to get DCA's temp on the hot days.  This year, it has been more like +2 or +3.

It must be the pattern...in 2010-2012 we didnt have that mean north atlantic ridge with a +NAO...the block was over greenland and there was a ridge in the center of the country right over the drought regions and those airmasses rolled our way without modifying....I'm not sure when we last had a mean +NAO pattern with the mean ridge to our north and east....I'd have to look, but I'd guess we had super high mins then too...we could easily finish the month +4 on the mins and +1 on the maxes

5 days 95+ in a row happens only in about 10%-15% of summers at DC. not 2010-2012 like but not sure it's crap either.  on the whole the summer hasn't been too impressive thus far tho with highs.

I guess we have a new norm...I remember in 2003/2004 I was jonesing for 95 and I got so frustrated that we couldnt hit it...we were all despondent over it...lol..how things change

I guess we have a new norm...I remember in 2003/2004 I was jonesing for 95 and I got so frustrated that we couldnt hit it...we were all despondent over it...lol..how things change

yeah well since the 1980s it's more like 1/3rd of yrs.

yeah well since the 1980s it's more like 1/3rd of yrs.

I consider this heat wave in terms of maxes pretty much in line with what we have seen since 2005 every summer except 2009...so 8 out of the last 9.....even in summers we didn't technically hit 5 in a row, the heat waves were just as impressive....the mins are ludicrous...i care about those...plus they are screwing up the summer outlook bad.....but not sure people care that much about lows....

I consider this heat wave in terms of maxes pretty much in line with what we have seen since 2005 every summer except 2009...so 8 out of the last 9.....even in summers we didn't technically hit 5 in a row, the heat waves were just as impressive....the mins are ludicrous...i care about those...plus they are screwing up the summer outlook bad.....but not sure people care that much about lows....

I know I do. The highs, as has been pointed out, haven't been too ridiculous. But the lows are sick. Out of curiosity, and sorry if it has been mentioned before, what is the longest DCA has gone without dipping below 70?

But back to the highs. I heard a radio spot where they were saying it was already up to 84 at like 8 am but failed to mention that it only got down to 80! It's all in perspective and I want mine to see the nights cool off a little more than 80.

I know I do. The highs, as has been pointed out, haven't been too ridiculous. But the lows are sick. Out of curiosity, and sorry if it has been mentioned before, what is the longest DCA has gone without dipping below 70?

But back to the highs. I heard a radio spot where they were saying it was already up to 84 at like 8 am but failed to mention that it only got down to 80! It's all in perspective and I want mine to see the nights cool off a little more than 80.

good question

in 2011 we went 28 days....we are at 19 so far through today...

Archived