e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The great July heat wave of 2013

Ian

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the entire column from the surface to 500 has to be warm.  It is kind of analogous to looking at the 540 thickness line in the late winter.  We could have a relatively warm 800-500 layer meaning that thicknesses will end up higher, but the lower layer might be cold enough for snow.  I'm guessing right now that temps at 500mb and 600mb are way above normal.

Appreciate the explanation.

So the DC normal is 89?

Both yesterday and today put up a +7 for a high.

The Jan normal is 43?

So if DC records a couple of daytime highs of 36 will it be called the great January arctic outbreak?

Seems kinda lame for a heat wave.

I assumed the title of this thread was a little facetious. You can't compare Jan and July departures, though. There is a much higher standard deviation of temps in January. And these peak summers highs would be more akin to lows in the winter, so if we had a run of lows in the teens at DCA, yes the media would be all over it.

I assumed the title of this thread was a little facetious. You can't compare Jan and July departures, though. There is a much higher standard deviation of temps in January. And these peak summers highs would be more akin to lows in the winter, so if we had a run of lows in the teens at DCA, yes the media would be all over it.

But would anyone HERE really consider that an arctic blast? I don't know DCA, but Winchester normal low is 22. I wouldn't consider 15 an arctic blast.

I do understand what you're saying about the difference though. It's quite possible to get a -25 departure on a winter high but impossible to get a +25 high in July.

I also like to poke fun when heat comes up short.

I do understand what you're saying about the difference though. It's quite possible to get a -25 departure on a winter high but impossible to get a +25 high in July.

To put some numbers on this difference, January 1950 in DC averaged 48.0 degrees, whereas January 1918 averaged 23.7 degrees -- a spread of 24.3 degrees between DC's warmest and coldest Januaries. On the other hand, the warmest July in DC was 2011 at 84.5 degrees versus the coldest DC July of 72.0 degrees in 1891 -- a spread of just 12.5 degrees.

The title was somewhat in jest but if we run 5 days 95+ it's as legit a heat wave as the worst in most summers. We are unfortunate to have to compare to the last few... The derechos of Julys.

And more in the weeds a 4th yr in a row with a low of 80+ at DCA is unheard of in the records.

The title was somewhat in jest but if we run 5 days 95+ it's as legit a heat wave as the worst in most summers. We are unfortunate to have to compare to the last few... The derechos of Julys.

And more in the weeds a 4th yr in a row with a low of 80+ at DCA is unheard of in the records.

83/74 at midnight.. have the feeling there will be a 79 for DCA's low tonight

Yeah it is summer which I do not like, nothing unusual about this "heat" wave,

it actually seems like typical summer time around here.

Besides the humidity what really bothers me the most are the warm nights. If it could just get into the 50's most nights then windows open and early morning outdoors would be fine.  Hit 96.2 yesterday, expecting 97+  today. 

Yeah it is summer which I do not like, nothing unusual about this "heat" wave,

it actually seems like typical summer time around here.

Besides the humidity what really bothers me the most are the warm nights. If it could just get into the 50's most nights then windows open and early morning outdoors would be fine.  Hit 96.2 yesterday, expecting 97+  today. 

It's been hotter around these parts before, but I'm not sure I recall the humidity ever being this bad for this long.  I can't remember when the DP was last under 70F.

It's been hotter around these parts before, but I'm not sure I recall the humidity ever being this bad for this long.  I can't remember when the DP was last under 70F.

Only time I want to be in DP's this warm is when I am on a Carribean/ tropical beach with an adult beverage surrounded by lovely ladies with little or no clothing... Then it is tolerable...  I will be in lots of 40 DP's next week when we vacation and shop for a vacation property out west,... can't wait

Only time I want to be in DP's this warm is when I am on a Carribean/ tropical beach with an adult beverage surrounded by lovely ladies with little or no clothing... Then it is tolerable... I will be in lots of 40 DP's next week when we vacation and shop for a vacation property out west,... can't wait

See ya.

Hooray for tying the daily record low at DCA. Record lows for the next three nights are 80 (2012), 79 (2011 tie) and 81 (1980). Could tie/beat some of those.

4 in a row is the longest on record too

Archived