e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The great July heat wave of 2013

Ian

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we even suck at heat this summer..the only thing we are good at with weather is absurd lows

gfs still has some 21C 850s over parts of the area thurs and fri.

we even suck at heat this summer..the only thing we are good at with weather is absurd lows

it's predictable though -- you have a vegetation canopy that is experiencing no water stress and a humid airmass, takes a lot of energy to warm.

Noticing that IAD reporting a DP of 69*...JYO reporting 77*F DP.  While it's stifling, not sure I am buying the difference.

It's not wrong.  I am at 94/77 and I am in Loudoun also.  Seems to be more humidity hanging out west of the airport - lucky us.

we should probably ban OBS from all the auxiliary stations since they are pretty much all bogus

All the PWS out here are reporting high dews also.

Maybe it has something to do with the LWX equipment surrounded by concrete in an open field while most of the outer stations are in more rural areas - evaporation from the vegetation raising the dewpoint?

it's predictable though -- you have a vegetation canopy that is experiencing no water stress and a humid airmass, takes a lot of energy to warm.

Yeah, 850s aren't spectacular and it is wet.  That's why the 2011 heat was so obscene, we had the dews and the heat.

All the PWS out here are reporting high dews also.

Maybe it has something to do with the LWX equipment surrounded by concrete in an open field while most of the outer stations are in more rural areas - evaporation from the vegetation raising the dewpoint?

The Davis VP2s are basically the gold standard of the home PWS market, and even they have DP trouble. 

Anytime the DP is above 60 it is too humid for my comfort. 

With my WV place in the books heading out west next week to shop for a vacation property..

one day I will not have to live in this nasty east coast climate.. wife is very ready to move too... :thumbsup: 

probably end up choking on smoke from a wild fire in a few years but at least it will be a dry smoke.. :P 

Yeah, 850s aren't spectacular and it is wet.  That's why the 2011 heat was so obscene, we had the dews and the heat.

The Davis VP2s are basically the gold standard of the home PWS market, and even they have DP trouble. 

So, if the 850s are not that hot (way too hot for my taste though) then what causes such high heights?

I'd let somebody come install a station at my house if it was going to be part of a reliable mesonet. Really tons of benefits would come with it.

Yeah. A better obs net would go well with all the radars.

So, if the 850s are not that hot (way too hot for my taste though) then what causes such high heights?

Well, the entire column from the surface to 500 has to be warm.  It is kind of analogous to looking at the 540 thickness line in the late winter.  We could have a relatively warm 800-500 layer meaning that thicknesses will end up higher, but the lower layer might be cold enough for snow.  I'm guessing right now that temps at 500mb and 600mb are way above normal.

Yeah. A better obs net would go well with all the radars.

Not to mention that in a lot of ways we would probably benefit more from it than OK. Obviously they have tor alley but we have so many different zones in our forecast area that are subject to vastly different types of weather phenomena. I guess we can keep dreaming, though...not enough moneh!

Archived