• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The great July heat wave of 2013

Ian

Just roll in a couple cubic tons of asphalt and DCA won't go below 90 at night. I was 76 at 1am and an overnight low of 72.  DCA does not represent the air mass that is over the metro area but rather reflects the unique circumstances of the 200'X200' area wherein the recording equipment lies.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just roll in a couple cubic tons of asphalt and DCA won't go below 90 at night. I was 76 at 1am and an overnight low of 72.  DCA does not represent the air mass that is over the metro area but rather reflects the unique circumstances of the 200'X200' area wherein the recording equipment lies.

My low was 78.0 in a neighborhood with a ton of vegetation. 

You are obviously in a coat and gloves, put on the banana hammock you usually wear and you can raise the AC to 76,

I like the season of summer because it's fun but I really do dislike days when its too hot to comfortably do anything outside. I don't complain about it but I'm super stoked that NFL season and canadian cold fronts are just around the corner.

Men who wear speedos should be arrested for felony optical assault and sued for monetary damages related to temporary blindness.

You are obviously in a coat and gloves, put on the banana hammock you usually wear and you can raise the AC to 76,

Keep AC on 68 here... damn cookie cutter home with one system for three floors is the only way to keep the upstairs around 76!  good news is the basement is probably 66 which is just right for chillin

I love summer.. :thumbsdown:  sweating my ass off on construction sites smelling like an unkempt locker room when I get home... only hit 95.6 here today which is so much more refreshing than than 98 or 100.. :P

Keep AC on 68 here... damn cookie cutter home with one system for three floors is the only way to keep the upstairs around 76!  good news is the basement is probably 66 which is just right for chillin

I love summer.. :thumbsdown:  sweating my ass off on construction sites smelling like an unkempt locker room when I get home... only hit 95.6 here today which is so much more refreshing than than 98 or 100.. :P

When I leave in the moring I set the AC on 78.  When I return I bring it down to 76 and then right before bed bring it down to 73/4 for about 30 minutes to give a good shot of cooling and then 75/76 for the overnight. I sleep fine with this and my electric bill has not been above $250 over last 4 summers.

Plug or tape over the lower 2 floors vents (except for one or two in the most common areas) so that the air gets re-directed to the top floor and then sinks down, cooling everything more efficiently. Do the reverse in the winter.

Plug or tape over the lower 2 floors vents (except for one or two in the most common areas) so that the air gets re-directed to the top floor and then sinks down, cooling everything more efficiently. Do the reverse in the winter.

One mistake some make is turning AC off or way up while they are out of the house. You let that interior temeprature build up to 82+ then the drywall, furniture, etc absorbs that plus you are still trying to overcome very warm exterior temps even if it is 7pm. 

Good idea :thumbsup: except I have tried closing the vents seasonally but there is a point where the system starts whistling which is very annoying. One thing that has helped is leaving the fan in the always on position so the air is constantly circulates even when the compressor is off.  That works okay when it is in the 80's or cloudy weather or a thunderstorms to cool it down, house has a black south facing roof and zero trees so that really places a "hot top" on the upstairs.

Electric bills are very good here, This June was just $ 97 last year had one in the low 200's, of course compared to the WV place with solar I sold in the spring these bills are high.. I averaged about $400 per year for the electric out there over the 7 years.

One mistake some make is turning AC off or way up while they are out of the house. You let that interior temeprature build up to 82+ then the drywall, furniture, etc absorbs that plus you are still trying to overcome very warm exterior temps even if it is 7pm.

This is a good point. The trick is to cool the house and all those items that hold heat while the outside air is cooperating with you.

I have our therm set at 75 starting at 8 am. It stays there until 11:30 pm. It goes to 67 at that time. It doesn't take it very long to get it there because the outside temp has dropped quite a bit by then. Even if the low is above 67, the AC only runs a few times at night. If the low is below 65 or do, it might not come on at all. By morning the house and it's contents are cool.

The high here today was 93 with full sun and my AC didn't come on until about 2:45.

Please go on :rolleyes:

Simply not true

good question

in 2011 we went 28 days....we are at 19 so far through today...

Thanks. I hope we don't pass that mark.

My low was 78.0 in a neighborhood with a ton of vegetation. 

Mine was 76 and I have the thermometer in the forest in my back yard. The one not in the forest only made it to 79, and it is a very wooded neighborhood.

Can't see why that would be with virtually every other report around you ranging 72-74.

all the DC and Arlington stations I have looked at were 77-80, plus

IAD - 74

BWI - 74

Hagerstown - 74

Martinsburg - 72

Camp Springs - probably 74

I don't see any reason that MN, would be below 75-76..........He is going to be warmer than IAD and Hagerstown...78 does seem high to me too, but I trust his readings...could have just been a localized warmth...my low was 80 where I live downtown 

some sort of boundary right on 95.. don't think it's cars as it goes thru the city and seems to be moving a little.

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.gif

Cool(ish) bay breeze from the east getting trapped below the fall line with warm winds colliding from the NW. Convergence zone ensues. It's gets better when it's winter and it's the other way around. Mix in a nor'easter and oh yes, thundersnow central. Remember the poster at AmWxII I had? Same phenomenon.

Can't see why that would be with virtually every other report around you ranging 72-74.

all the DC and Arlington stations I have looked at were 77-80, plus

IAD - 74

BWI - 74

Hagerstown - 74

Martinsburg - 72

Camp Springs - probably 74

I don't see any reason that MN, would be below 75-76..........He is going to be warmer than IAD and Hagerstown...78 does seem high to me too, but I trust his readings...could have just been a localized warmth...my low was 80 where I live downtown 

I don't get cold drainage.  The three PWSs nearest me were 77/78/79.  The next four at lower elevations were 73/74/75/75. 

Cool(ish) bay breeze from the east getting trapped below the fall line with warm winds colliding from the NW. Convergence zone ensues. It's gets better when it's winter and it's the other way around. Mix in a nor'easter and oh yes, thundersnow central. Remember the poster at AmWxII I had? Same phenomenon.

makes sense.

Archived