joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 10-14 Severe/Flooding Wx - Obs, Radar, Warnings, Dmg. rpts

wxmeddler

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tornado threat on tuesday or are we looking at linear/MCS or even just pop ups?

it's kind of nebulous for now. there is a surface low to the north but it's not overly impressive at any level for now.

Power of social media-- CWG's live updates are actually a good compilation showing specific spots of trees down consistent with a severe thunderstorm across a wide area (DC, Laurel, MoCo, North Potomac, etc.)

Although, that video out of Rockville of the 'tornado' is pretty sketchy. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/06/13/severe-storms-forecast-for-region-live-updates/?hpid=z2

My guess is any local tor were brief and unseen tho I didn't watch radar the whole time when out. Tornado warnings with confirmed tornado are often wrong. Even the mets around here aren't well trained in what things look like.

My guess is any local tor were brief and unseen tho I didn't watch radar the whole time when out. Tornado warnings with confirmed tornado are often wrong. Even the mets around here aren't well trained in what things look like.

They will probably confirm a brief EF-0 in one or two places in MoCo and I wasn't closely watching the other possible locations in other conuties. 

Tons of false tornado/funnel cloud pics being shared and tweeted.

I was in what appeared to be the center of the signature on radar, even though rotation was weakening at that point. I did NOT see a funnel or tornado, although it was a very ominous scene, not to mention there was flash flooding, strong winds and literally gridlock roads. A lot of cars parked under overpasses and some kook on the radio also recommended that. Luckily he was corrected by the host. I believe this was in Elkridge. I've been driving literally all day, so haven't gotten to look at much in the way of reports. I'm still 3+ hours from home lol.

post-533-0-88540300-1371166117_thumb.jpg

post-533-0-39629200-1371166139_thumb.jpg

I guess all the anti-derecho people are wrong ;)

Steve Rudin ABC7 ‏@SteveRudinABC7 12m

It's official! On 12-13 June 2013 a low-end derecho moved over 600 miles & 150+ damaging wind reports. #BREAKING

BMrYVOACMAEy79A.png

There were so few reports east of the apps not sure it means anything for that area other than some academic definition. The whole debate was one of the stupidest the weather community has ever had.

I guess all the anti-derecho people are wrong ;)

Steve Rudin ABC7 @SteveRudinABC7 12m

It's official! On 12-13 June 2013 a low-end derecho moved over 600 miles & 150+ damaging wind reports. #BREAKING

BMrYVOACMAEy79A.png

NWS SPC @NWSSPC 1h

On 12-13 June 2013 a low-end derecho moved over 600 miles (averaging 47 mph) resulting in 150+ damaging wind reports. pic.twitter.com/4VSD71wVxN

Weakrecheo... but it is what it is I guess

Archived