joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 10-14 Severe/Flooding Wx - Obs, Radar, Warnings, Dmg. rpts

wxmeddler

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talked with family member who was up at rte 100 and I-95 area.  Was watching radar at exact same time.  She was getting upset because raining so hard and blowing enough had to pull over.  In front of her she said the "clouds were on the ground" but not any rotation nor incredible winds so I don't know how far away exactly.  It did not end real quickly, I think closer to 10 minutes than five. Lot was going on observation wise myself and keeping up with the phone convo.  All the traffic had pulled over so probably some others that were shaken up too.

I was in what appeared to be the center of the signature on radar, even though rotation was weakening at that point. I did NOT see a funnel or tornado, although it was a very ominous scene, not to mention there was flash flooding, strong winds and literally gridlock roads. A lot of cars parked under overpasses and some kook on the radio also recommended that. Luckily he was corrected by the host. I believe this was in Elkridge. I've been driving literally all day, so haven't gotten to look at much in the way of reports. I'm still 3+ hours from home lol.

Talked with family member who was up at rte 100 and I-95 area.  Was watching radar at exact same time.  She was getting upset because raining so hard and blowing enough had to pull over.  In front of her she said the "clouds were on the ground" but not any rotation nor incredible winds so I don't know how far away exactly.  It did not end real quickly, I think closer to 10 minutes than five. Lot was going on observation wise myself and keeping up with the phone convo.  All the traffic had pulled over so probably some others that were shaken up too.

I was very near both of those places at exactly the same time, ~4:10-4:15ish and I was on the road.  Certainly were some clouds that extended as near to the surface as I could see in the trees/buildings, but I saw no rotation (and I looked).  Once the rain hit, it was torrential, but I was so close to home that I just wanted to get there and kept going.  Any rotation looked like it stayed south of I-95 based on radar.  

I left Woodlawn at 4, got to Odenton at 4:45, which took me by the airport area.  By the time I got to I-195, the sun was coming out.  While I'm by no means spotter trained, I saw nothing of suspicion.

I'm certainly not an expert either, but I didn't see any rotation on level 2 radar data, and I was watching it pretty closely as I have family in Severn.

Your backyard is beautiful. I am so jealous! I really need to leave crummy MoCo in favor of a place on the bay! Atleast until I relocate permently to a place in the coastal south.

Thank you! I am very lucky to live in a waterfront community that has many water accesses which is often hard to find around here.

Since SPC doesn't post their criteria anywhere not sure what it is specifically but the event did not meet the initial Fujita definition of a derecho.  Regardless, it produced like 5 reports around here..

I'm not sure it was that clear where the focus would be. The timing argued for south and east of DC for the most widespread. But if it was not for that initial shift from the morning system we probably would have had a more significant event.  Arguably, in retrospect, we should have maybe anticipated that cold pool to do what it did despite model simulations. 

LOL just watched that video from 97.1. They thought that whole rain shaft was a large tornado. What would people from the Plains states think of that clip?

Probably thinking that it's someone who mistook a rain shaft with straight line winds for a tornado because they rarely see them and the media was hyping things up as the end of days. They would probably think that the people in the video are lucky to not know the difference between a rain shaft/straight line winds and a tornado because tornados destroy lives.

Even though it shouldn't is still amazes me how some of the general public is to stupid to realize the difference between straight line winds in a thunderstorm and an actual tornado.

It shouldn't surprise you. Why should the general public, most of whom will never experience a tornado in their lives, be able to tell the difference between them, especially on a day when there was all kinds of hyping up of tornado possibilities? Ads I wouldn't call the general public "stupid" because of that (though you can argue the general public is generally dumb). It's simply naïveté.

Even when you've seen a tornado it can be tricky identifying all the features leading up etc. Think public 'wishing' for things seen to be a tornado is that tornadoes are sexier than regular winds. Plus the power of suggestion.. If you're under a warning and see low hanging clouds you probably run to thinking its a tornado.

...TORNADO CONFIRMED IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY MARYLAND...

LOCATION...NORTH POTOMAC TO BURTONSVILLE IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY MARYLAND
DATE...JUNE 13 2013
ESTIMATED TIME...3:41 PM EDT TO 3:59 PM EDT
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF-0
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...75 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...150 YARDS
PATH LENGTH...17.3 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...39.091N / 77.269W
ENDING LAT/LON...39.108N / 76.947W
* FATALITIES...0
* INJURIES...0

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO
CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN
NWS STORM DATA.

At it's closest approach that tornado was probably about 2.5-3 miles from me. It probably passed right near or directly on top of the school where my mom works!

...SUMMARY...

EYEWITNESS ACCOUNTS...RADAR IMAGERY...AND A GROUND SURVEY CONCLUDED
A LONG TRACK EF-0 TORNADO OCCURRED IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY MARYLAND
ON THE AFTERNOON OF JUNE 13TH 2013. PEAK WINDS WERE ESTIMATED AT
75 MPH. DAMAGE WAS ALMOST ENTIRELY FROM DOWNED TREES. IN THAT
REGARD NUMEROUS HOMES AND A FEW PARKED VEHICLES WERE DAMAGED BY
TREES FALLING ONTO THEM. NO INJURIES HAVE BEEN REPORTED.

FIRST CONSISTENT DAMAGE WAS NOTED NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF TURKEY FOOT ROAD
AND JONES LANE IN SOUTHWEST MONTGOMERY COUNTY NEAR NORTH POTOMAC
MARYLAND WHERE A FEW LARGE TREES WERE OVER THE ROAD. THE TORNADO
RACED EAST NEARLY 60 MPH TO THE NORTHERN SECTION OF ROCKVILLE
MARYLAND. AT LEAST 14 HOMES WERE SIGNIFICANTLY DAMAGED BY UPROOTED
TREES. AS IT CONTINUED EAST TO THE NORBECK AND ASPEN HILL
AREA 30 TREES WERE UPROOTED IN THE MANOR COUNTRY CLUB GOLF COURSE
AS WELL AS NUMEROUS HOMES DAMAGED IN THE SURROUNDING COMMUNITIES
FROM TREE DAMAGE. TREE DAMAGE WAS NOTED ALONG THE INTERCOUNTY
CONNECTOR ROUTE 200 AT THE LAYHILL ROAD EXIT. FINALLY A FEW TREES
WERE DOWNED IN SPENCERVILLE AND BURTONSVILLE.

BASED ON THE DAMAGE, THIS TORNADO IS RATED EF-0, WITH ESTIMATED
WIND SPEEDS OF 75 MPH. THE 17.3 MILE DAMAGE PATH LENGTH WAS COVERED
IN 18 MINUTES AND HAD CONSISTENT SMALL BRANCH DAMAGE WITH
OCCASSIONAL AREAS WITH SIGNIFICANT TREE DAMAGE.

ADDITIONALLY THERE WAS A PARALLEL 7 MILES PATH OF DAMAGE THROUGH SOUTH
ROCKVILLE AND GLENMONT MARYLAND WITH SIMILAR TREE DAMAGE. THIS
AREA WAS FOUND TO BE STRAIGHT LINE WINDS FROM THE OUTFLOW JUST
SOUTH OF THE TORNADO FROM THE PARENT SUPERCELL STORM.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WOULD LIKE TO EXTEND ITS THANKS TO MONTGOMERY
COUNTY FIRE WHO CONFIRMED THE TORNADO ON THE GROUND DURING THE STORM
AND MONTGOMERY COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT WHO PROVIDED INVALUABLE
ASSISTANCE DURING THE GROUND SURVEY.

&&

$

CAS/KCS/HAS

Archived