• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
April 12 wintry event.

CoastalWx

A brief period of sleet earlier...doing nothing now. 33F. Temps have continued to drop though on the mesonet sites and ASOS. It will be interesting to see how much icing goes on in the higher terrain as that slug of steadier precip moves in. Model guidance has temps actually dropping between now and afternoon whcih is really impressive. Think monads could be in for some trouble in a while...and potentially N ORH hills...like near WaWa.

Ice Zone

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty big dryslot..Looks like a 6-8 hour period of rain and that's it. What a yawner. Hopefully still can deliver at least .50-.75.. certainly not the 1-2 inches models had

because the northeast has never had an inch of rain fall in under 6 hours

30F/24F...have had some -ZR and -IP. Not sure how well we can accrete during the day on dark objects this time of year. This is new territory for me.

I'll bet trees and powerlines do it no problem...dark ground surfaces like pavement though probably have no chance during the daylight hours.

RAPL have commenced in Ayer, Ma.  36F ... awesome outside!  

It will be interesting to see what happens just NW of here in Jaffry, NH.  They are 30/29F heading into this thing.  In fact, I was surprised to see the E wind here this morning.  There is some sort of diffused coastal boundary that's come all the way this far inland.  Just west and NW of me it's in the 30 to 32F range and will be interesting there.  

This type of event is where ASOS sucks...it can't detect ice pellets. So unless there's an observer to augment the obs, it will get reported as rain.

Really? Tons of "UP" reports coming out up this way which show up as "mixed precip" on the NOAA page.

Isn't UP the ASOS sleet (unknown precipitation)?

Really? Tons of "UP" reports coming out up this way which show up as "mixed precip" on the NOAA page.

Isn't UP the ASOS sleet (unknown precipitation)?

Yes it will often report UP for pellets, esp if the temp is below freezing...but very often it also just reports plain rain if its above freezing. I've seen it on numerous occasions here. Esp if its a mix of rain and sleet...like even 90% sleet and 10% rain will show up as rain in the obs. Its pretty bad.

Archived