Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
April 12 wintry event.

CoastalWx

dual pol might do the trick that worked pretty good this winter

That won't help much for ground truth. It gives us a look aloft at what is going on. When its 27F at the sfc in winter, we know its going to be frozen for ground truth...but when we have 35F temps, it doesn't help much.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This type of event is where ASOS sucks...it can't detect ice pellets. So unless there's an observer to augment the obs, it will get reported as rain.

Huh, they have PL ?   

Anyway, ...this event was dialed up right from the heart of Ray.   Temp is just under 35 here, DP is 32, and there's maybe one pellet for ever 6 drops of rain out there here in Ayer.   5 or 10 miles as the crow flies NW of here it's 31'ish and assuredly driving sleet balls and glaze.   

Huh, they have PL ?   

Anyway, ...this event was dialed up right from the heart of Ray.   Temp is just under 35 here, DP is 32, and there's maybe one pellet for ever 6 drops of rain out there here in Ayer.   5 or 10 miles as the crow flies NW of here it's 31'ish and assuredly driving sleet balls and glaze.   

No, when you see PL, it is an augmented obs by the observer. I don't recall ever seeing a non-augmented ob from ASOS that reported PL.

Tip is gonna lose it when sees long range pattern. With global AAM like it is. We have a long way to go in this misery till summer

On the contrary ... I love fascinating anomalous weather.   It's the stuff of Meteorology! 

It's days on end of ennui at the hands of April murk ... some years, gobbling up spring entirely that's annoying.  It's not emotional either -- it's because I like to get out doors and do things that are weather dependent, like gardening (which can't even be conceptualized when it's 42 and drizzling for 4 weeks on end :arrowhead:), or weekend disk golf, which is miserable in those conditions.  Or even regular Golf with my other circle of bros -- you can play, but is it really "fun" when it's 50 with a raw wind and occasional drizzle?    ...Not really... I suppose if you rationalize things, and effectively lie to one's self, he/she may say otherwise, but no -- something tells me he/she would prefer 74/48 under blue bird skies, if they are being honest.    Too mention, the fairer members of society don't dress down in those conditions either, and that's no fun for the single and looking -- haha.   

Anyway, if the weather, however, does something really unusual, I'm fine with that. Today is interesting actually.  And as I stressed earlier in the week, we had 3 to 4 days of relative balm at a time of the year where the objective, fair perceptive consumer of weather counts their f blessings and moves on!  This a cosmic dildo month incarnate, so having to "pay the price-tag" of a day and half of this is understandable.  But again .. the whole frozen component of this event gives something back, too.  

If the pattern were to evolve somehow into an unusually protracted winter ending, that would be fascinating.   But caveat emptor:  A protracted winter pattern into May does not often mean snow here -- the larger scale anomaly of that may only result in just the exact same thing we dread (or at least me), which was discussed above.  For those that wish for a pattern like that, be careful what you wish for, because it has a way of being a deal with the devil in that you get that pattern, but not "WHY" you want that pattern.   

Also, I have seen this a few times getting toward middle April... The means of the various model types will try to flag a new signal, cold or warm, but something often happens around the 20th of April.  Things just come unfurled and the pattern sort of just goes errant and the ensemble mean becomes less than correlated.  It may just be the diabatic normalization of the hemisphere (less N of course...) finally putting a dagger in the backside of ambient gradients.  It is also just another way of observing the teleconnections have lesser value by the end of April.  But April starts out with a little hint of that happening at the beginning of the month, with a lot of it by the end(s).  

About that... There are papers out there that demo how/why the NAO is NOT meaningless to our weather in the summer; just not as much as in the winter.  The PNA is the one that really goes to sleep in the correlation -- in fact, CDC doesn't even compute the correlations on their matrices for the PNA, for JJA. 

No, when you see PL, it is an augmented obs by the observer. I don't recall ever seeing a non-augmented ob from ASOS that reported PL.

Oh, that's interesting, Will -- I never knew that about ASOS, that PL meant augmented -- I wonder what the "P" and the "L" stand for?  I always thought "pellet" ( duh haha), but maybe it's a conceptual thing.   BR means mist -- how that is so, who knows ...

Oh, that's interesting, Will -- I never knew that about ASOS, that PL meant augmented -- I wonder what the "P" and the "L" stand for?  I always thought "pellet" ( duh haha), but maybe it's a conceptual thing.   BR means mist -- how that is so, who knows ...

I think it does stand for pellets...but I have noticed that PL obs almost always come from sites with an observer. The sites with no observer seem to never report PL (ORH is an example, they have no observer to augment obs).

It's 29.9 but from my dorm room it just looks like plain rain...so maybe there's some accretion...idk. I have to walk to class in a bit and I'll see what happens. I don't hear any pelting.

Your avatar info says your location is Shrewsbury?   

If so, I'd check your thermometers accuracy -- there are no PD meso analysis sites anywhere around there putting up a sub-30F temperature.  They are all in the upper 30s.  

You know ... I just looked at the 00z ECMWF operational, and ensemble teleconnectors for the NAO, and they don't support that cold tone, at least through the 25th... I realize that you folks that pay, or have access to WSI and so forth ... have longer lead material to feast upon, but my experience ...like with the Euro Weeklies and just monitoring what gets reported here and abroad, is that they are not very dependable, actually.   Sometimes they do well, but enough percentage of the time they do not, and in fact sometimes the opposite happens and they have flip pretty dramatically to keep up, that confidence is never very good.  

Anyway, at least though the 25th, the spread actually argues for more SE ridging and possibility for lifting the mean NW.  

Ha, I'm in school in Plymouth,NH. Sorry. Most know that.

Well, actually it does say Plymouth underneath to be fair.  

Yeah there's a pretty solid coastal boundary align WSW to ENE right through the heart of SNE.  To the NW of that, there is an interesting sleet storm going on.  To the SE, typical April nuisance cold rain stealing a day away, nothing more...  

ORH is weird - they are 34/30 with driving pelting rain -- they can't seem to saturate there for some reason.   Huh

Absolute paint peeling peltfest ongoing here despite the fact that the PSF ASOS is reporting light rain. It's been sleeting at a moderate to heavy clip since about 9:30 AM. In addition, there are some small flakes mixed in that are being generated below the inversion. There's about 1/2" of sleet accumulation and the ground is white. This event definitely transpired a little colder than I forecast as I thought the accumulating sleet would be confined to higher elevations and on the east slope.

Archived