joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 12 wintry event.

CoastalWx

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure exactly what the CON record low max is, but going back to 1921 it is 34F for tomorrow set back in 1976. They may have been colder in previous years though. It probably doesn't matter since the max should be around 5z tonight unless we can get some weenie precip in here early and evaporatively cool down.

Looking good for some IP accums up here. The Euro is ice cold at 2m and keeps us at or below freezing the entire day. If most of that EC 0.75" QPF falls as sleet here then we're talking about 2-2.5" using the typical 3:1 ratio. There could be a little snow initially on the front end too before H7 goes to hell. The NAM has a little dry air initially in the H6-H7 layer so nucleation may suck to start out too. It should be a fun wintry goulash for the morning commute.

GFS/NAM SOUNDINGS SHOW WARM LAYER BTWN 800MB AND 700MB
BTWN 1-3C LIFTING ACRS OUR CWA...WHILE 925MB TEMPS HOLD IN THE -3C
TO -6C RANGE...SUPPORTING A SLEET TYPE PROFILE...ESPECIALLY
NORTHERN/CENTRAL VT AND PARTS OF NNY. THINKING STRONG
DYNAMICS/SOME COOLING FROM EVAPORATION WL CREATE A BURST OF
SNOW/SLEET INITIALLY WITH A QUICK DUSTING TO 3 INCHES
POSSIBLE...WITH TIMING VERY CLOSE TO MORNING COMMUTE.

ALSO...COOLING EFFECTS FROM SE UPSLOPE FLW...MAY KEEP LUDLOW TO
STOWE TO JAY PEAK PROFILES JUST COLD ENOUGH FOR A MORE SNOW TYPE
PROFILE WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES POSSIBLE
...BEFORE
CHANGING TO SLEET/FREEZING RAIN.

I'm crossing my fingers that last statement works out with SE upslope flow keeping Stowe cold enough for a more snow type profile :weenie:

BTW...on my way home I hit a few PL showers between exits 17-18 on 93. The atmosphere is primed for frozen.

Oh its definitely cold out... on the mountain today it just had that January type look of slate gray skies and cold atmosphere with temps generally in the 20s and very dry air.  Definitely felt like a winter event was on its way and it just got colder all afternoon.  Dropping temps in the afternoon in April is impressive in itself.

Not sure exactly what the CON record low max is, but going back to 1921 it is 34F for tomorrow set back in 1976. They may have been colder in previous years though. It probably doesn't matter since the max should be around 5z tonight unless we can get some weenie precip in here early and evaporatively cool down.

Record low max at ORH was 34F...I thought we might have an outside shot at it but no chance with the delay until after 06z of the precip. We'll have a cheap midnight high for tomorrow.

Looking good for some IP accums up here. The Euro is ice cold at 2m and keeps us at or below freezing the entire day. If most of that EC 0.75" QPF falls as sleet here then we're talking about 2-2.5" using the typical 3:1 ratio. There could be a little snow initially on the front end too before H7 goes to hell. The NAM has a little dry air initially in the H6-H7 layer so nucleation may suck to start out too. It should be a fun wintry goulash for the morning commute.

Break out the helmet for tomorrow

Archived