joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 12 wintry event.

CoastalWx

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest RAP looks locked in on current location of this precip band. It's awfully cold aloft (especially H8 never getting above freezing through 00z in the GYX CWA). That warmth aloft is all up around 800 or 750. 0 C there surges as far north as extreme northern NH to around BHB.

Nearest I can tell right now, that band of precip is associated with the deeper moisture surging northward at 700 mb on the SW flow. That would explain the relatively high reflectivity yet only 10SM -RA at the surface. Our 00z sounding had a nice -38 C dew point at 800 mb. So this stuff is falling through plenty of dry air still.

31.5F with some light glazing.

31.8/30 here--I'm sure there's not glazing to be concerned with.  ZR will not be an issue here, though we might get some IP.

Very dated obs:  driving home from western NY last night, I had rain change to IP east of Troy and temps dropped to 30-31..  Even managed some sn mixed in as I approached teh Mas border.  Once I got down to the valley in Williamstown/North Adams, temps had risen back up to 34-35.  As I crested Rt. 2 in Florida and Savoy, temps were about 32* with rain and some IP mixing in. 

Also can hear the snap, crackle, and pop of sleet hitting the grass and sidewalk when you step outside.

Sleet is sort of cool when it's not occurring at the height of a snowstorm. When you know it's all your getting you can enjoy it. When you flip from +SN to +PL there's nothing worse. 

Sleet is sort of cool when it's not occurring at the height of a snowstorm. When you know it's all your getting you can enjoy it. When you flip from +SN to +PL there's nothing worse. 

No worries about SN here. My grids are pretty much a straight RA/PL mix. Not too often you see that sort of thing, but it's all riding on those lowest few hundred feet.

Archived