• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 18-20th Observation Thread

dryslot

I'll also give Don kudos in his medium range thread...he never really bought into the idea of a torch pattern for the CONUS in late February or early March either. He made some good calls there.

It was a hard pattern to get...that is for sure. It wasn't nearly as cut and dry as some other patterns a couple weeks out.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like BOS asos is fixed.

KBOS 200254Z 33016G23KT 1 1/4SM -SN BR BKN008 OVC011 M02/M03 A2968 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 3 SLP051 P0000 60003 T10171028 52026

First 20" March in 20 years at Logan...1993 was the last one for BOS. This is a throwback.

I always said that Kevin would have cancelled March as a winter month so many times in the mid-late 1980s when we couldnt buy a good March after the awesome 1984. There were like 7 duds in a row. He freaked out after like 3 bad ones in a row recently, lol.

I guess the record breaking heat in 2012 made it seem worse (and 2010 was torch too)...but still, March has always been a volatile and streaky month in New England. Sometimes it can act like January and other times it acts like May.

But this March has been "wintry" only in the sense that we've gotten some snow in these parts.  Temp wise, it was drastically warmer than normal for the 1st half of the month for me in Maine and many other northern New Englanders.

But this March has been "wintry" only in the sense that we've gotten some snow in these parts.  Temp wise, it was drastically warmer than normal for the 1st half of the month for me in Maine and many other northern New Englanders.

Yes it was very akin to 1958...which was pretty warm in NNE too...the severe blocking caused warmth in NNE and even spreading down into SNE until the positives were recently erased here and now every site is negative on the month. NNE will cool though in the final 10 days I think on their departures.

Yes it was very akin to 1958...which was pretty warm in NNE too...the severe blocking caused warmth in NNE and even spreading down into SNE until the positives were recently erased here and now every site is negative on the month. NNE will cool though in the final 10 days I think on their departures.

Yup.  I should be more careful with my adjectives, too.  "Notably" warmer than normal the 1st half of March for me at KPWM, not "drastically".  "Drastic" was our March 2012, of course.

We had a couple warm days in there (48 on the 12th and 13th), but overall it has been the low temps that have done the bulk of the positive anomalies. We had that upper low that kept cloud cover around many of the nights, and the month started 32, 31, 32, 32, 32, 32, 31 for mins. Those are pretty close to normal highs for PWM.

We had a couple warm days in there (48 on the 12th and 13th), but overall it has been the low temps that have done the bulk of the positive anomalies. We had that upper low that kept cloud cover around many of the nights, and the month started 32, 31, 32, 32, 32, 32, 31 for mins. Those are pretty close to normal highs for PWM.

Yeah severe blocking really wreaks havoc on the low temps in NNE. Since there usually isn't a high overhead in those cases....the high tends to be displaced well west or southwest. Mild blocking is usually very good for NNE lows outside of northern Maine.

It's actually snowing fairly heavy. Everything is covered again.

I refuse to shovel the driveway. Well refusal is not entirely correct or the reasoning.

Try shoveling with three gimpy disc's with siatica firing the nerves. Pain Meds only get you so far. Chronic pain is the most debilitating of all conditions. Upteen Dr. appointments over the years. Cauterizing the nerves several times but they grow back. It's just about taken everything but will never take the passion out of the weenie.

What a great surprise storm especially the clipping (frosting on the cake) at the end here.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Healing Back Pain, or The Divided Mind by John Sarno.  Helped my back immensely.

Don't worry it will melt tomorrow.

Well, 16.1" with lots of drifting.  Hard to measure but like 20" on the ground.  The 25-40mph winds during the 1/8 o 1/4 mi. visibility was very impressive, second best of the year.   

Nice job by the NWS, too...totally nailed SNH around here.

13.5" total

The final 4 inches were just complete dust. Every shovel full had a dense clump that would stick together when thrown and the top layer would turn into a mini blizzard, more times than not, getting blown right into my face.

Not a spectacular accumulation in Schenectady, perhaps 7 inches or so after it mashed down but last night at 8:30 was just great.  It dropped a good two inches in about a half an hour.  You could see streetlights about 100 yards away and that was it.  Giant flakes just pouring like corn flakes when you're making breakfast.  

Archived