joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 18-20th Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumping pretty good still. Probably at least 2" of new snow. Amazing that I am getting more from the vort max squalls than I did from the entire front end last night.

Your area always seems to do very well from windex type squalls and frontal passages with lake moisture on the tail end of a synoptic system.

Seems that way - makes sense given his location on the western side of the spine.

Yeah his area wrings out the moisture really good on those...definitely upslope. He will occasionally get a Green Mountains style upslope event where he gets 9" of fluff while ORH is partly cloudy. Not nearly as common as further north, but it happens there when everything aligns right.

March is no longer a winter month. You should know that by now. 

I always said that Kevin would have cancelled March as a winter month so many times in the mid-late 1980s when we couldnt buy a good March after the awesome 1984. There were like 7 duds in a row. He freaked out after like 3 bad ones in a row recently, lol.

I guess the record breaking heat in 2012 made it seem worse (and 2010 was torch too)...but still, March has always been a volatile and streaky month in New England. Sometimes it can act like January and other times it acts like May.

Speaking of boom or bust Marches...I posted about BOS earlier today breaking 20" for the first time since 1993 in March....ORH has now passed the 30" mark for March with 30.5" on the month. This makes it the first March since 2001 that ORH exceeded 30". It is the 9th March on record at ORH with over 30". The record was 44.1" in 1993.

2" new in the last 90 minutes or so. Super fluffy stuff, still snowing heavily now. Got lucky with this thin band traveling lengthwise right over my head.

Up to 12" storm total well on way to 13 or more if it keeps up like this for even a short time longer.

Your area always seems to do very well from windex type squalls and frontal passages with lake moisture on the tail end of a synoptic system.

Seems that way - makes sense given his location on the western side of the spine.

Yeah his area wrings out the moisture really good on those...definitely upslope. He will occasionally get a Green Mountains style upslope event where he gets 9" of fluff while ORH is partly cloudy. Not nearly as common as further north, but it happens there when everything aligns right.

2.3" final from the squalls, so we did beat the front end. Brings my event total to 5.8".

This area does well with any type of CAA snow, but will commonly get shafted with WAA snow. Granted I've been screwed a lot this winter due to plain old bad luck and missing out on decent midlevel forcing time and time again. Good midlevel forcing will overwhelm downslope effects enough to give us good snowfall if it works out.

Much of the 38.5" of snow I had for DJFM of last winter was a result of WINDEX, lake effect leftovers, and upslope since it was dead synoptically. This winter we've not had as much of it for some reason, although I did get 3" of this type of snow on Friday.

Sometimes we do get a 6"+ upslope event. Typically it's about once a winter, but it doesn't happen every year. Occasionally there might be a year when it does it twice, so it averages out. Ample low level moisture combined with some instability, PVA, and a good W to WNW flow will get it done. Often times this is on the backside of a departing storm underneath the ULL.

Archived