joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 18-20th Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOS is up to 55.0" for their Feb/Mar combo in 2013...that is now 3rd place behind 1993 (58.5") and 1916 (63.3")....both are within reach still. Both the ORH and BOS total for this storm may not be final either...a few tenths are possible when finals come in.

The 74.9" figure also breaks the 2-month record of 74.8" set in January-February 2005.

Oh wow, thanks Don for the info. I had forgotten the two month overall figure was breakable as well. Its been quite a remarkable 6-7 weeks. Hopefully more opportunities will be taken advantage of in the final 10 days of this month.

Oh wow, thanks Don for the info. I had forgotten the two month overall figure was breakable as well. Its been quite a remarkable 6-7 weeks. Hopefully more opportunities will be taken advantage of in the final 10 days of this month.

Socks probably still thinks this pattern has been a dud.

I'm really happy for Boston... they deserve this more than anyone. 

Socks probably still thinks this pattern has been a dud.

I'm really happy for Boston... they deserve this more than anyone. 

Yeah, Boston was in a really bad screw hole for about 23 months there since February 2011. They broke out of it in style at least. Challenging records.

BOS is up to 55.0" for their Feb/Mar combo in 2013...that is now 3rd place behind 1993 (58.5") and 1916 (63.3")....both are within reach still. Both the ORH and BOS total for this storm may not be final either...a few tenths are possible when finals come in.

Obviously it's almost 100 years ago so the data isn't as abundant, but is 1915-1916 a top 5 winter at any of the major climo stations?

I agree. I would like to see Worcester reach at least 80" for the February-March total.

1915-1916 may also be a top 10 at BDL, but its close. I didn't go through all the years..but they had 77.1" which is probably close to top 10 there. Ryan would probably have that info more handy than I. (technically it was Hartford back then and not at the airport)

I always said that Kevin would have cancelled March as a winter month so many times in the mid-late 1980s when we couldnt buy a good March after the awesome 1984. There were like 7 duds in a row. He freaked out after like 3 bad ones in a row recently, lol.

I guess the record breaking heat in 2012 made it seem worse (and 2010 was torch too)...but still, March has always been a volatile and streaky month in New England. Sometimes it can act like January and other times it acts like May.

Perfectly stated!     

I can't tell you how bad it sucked up until early February. Just porked upside down for months and months. This is the best breakout ever. Soul refreshing.

1915-1916 was similar...only 11.7" through the end of January and then 63.3" in Feb/Mar...and then another 4.2" in April.

The snow totals, turnaround and now cold have all been super impressive! Kudos to Will Scott Phil for pointing out the potential. Ginxy never have up hope and kept banging those analogs .... I am happy for Steve will Scott Jerry etc, I know how much this means to them. Hopefully after you all get your fill of snow, warmth will return sometime later next month. Rip morch and any thoughts on am early spring. Enjoy folks

1915-1916 was similar...only 11.7" through the end of January and then 63.3" in Feb/Mar...and then another 4.2" in April.

I was preaching that when all this talk about favorable extended pattern was being discussed. You can whiff on a mid winter month (i.e. Jan or Feb) and have a good to great snow season, but you can't whiff on both. One of those months needs to be big.

When the chances went begging in Jan there were some people edging their toes out on the bridge, but we have seen now how quickly we can cash in when the pattern is in place.

I was preaching that when all this talk about favorable extended pattern was being discussed. You can whiff on a mid winter month (i.e. Jan or Feb) and have a good to great snow season, but you can't whiff on both. One of those months needs to be big.

When the chances went begging in Jan there were some people edging their toes out on the bridge, but we have seen now how quickly we can cash in when the pattern is in place.

Yeah I thought the bridge jumping was really early....January had potential late month and then crapped the bed, but it is not like the pattern looked bad in February. If it had, you probably could have started plugging in the toasters and revving up the cars in the garage for snow lovers...but the pattern screamed potential right into the first half of February. Then we finally got real NAO blocking latter February and right into March which turned the season from merely "salvaged" into a great one.

The late Feb and March pattern was hard to see far out though...a lot of long rangers busted on that calling for a big torch after mid-Feb. Euro weeklies aren't always great, but I'll give them kudos on identifying the blocking...they were a bit too quick with the NAO blocking by about a week or ten days, but they insisted it would get huge...the closer we got too.

Started snowing at 5 am, Accumulated around 4" for the day until around 5 pm, 1 good burst and suckage since, Siting in a sucker hole, Spring can't get here fast enough of all years

Everybody is crashed excited about skiing freshies tomorrow. I am watching it dump from my bedroom window.

Archived