• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th-8th Ocean Storm Obs

free_man

Proably buried in the thread, but was this BOS's biggest March event?

And was it ORH's single biggest March event? (3/31/97 - 4/1/97 were in 2 months)

Today broke the record for "All March events"...since 1997 occurred in April too.

Purely March events at ORH:

1. March 6-8, 2013......22.8"

2. March 3-4, 1960.......22.1"

3. March 5-7, 2001......22.0"

4. March 13-14, 1993...20.1"

5. March 20-22, 1958...18.8"

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Foxboro. Holy. S###.

Texas Eh? Haha! (Route 1). Snowing Hard Still!

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2013-03-08-15-55-46.pngattachicon.gif20130308_154325.jpgattachicon.gif20130308_154338.jpg

Not to be an ass because rt. 1 does all look the same once you get north  of the dunkin donuts in foxborough,  but that is Walpole. I work out in the 495 belt, and coming back this evening down rt. 109 you can see the difference in accumulation. Used the snowblower at 6 am and there was about 12, when i came back home this evening looked like another 10 or so; banks are as high as the blizzard. Great winter

Today broke the record for "All March events"...since 1997 occurred in April too.

Purely March events at ORH:

1. March 6-8, 2013......22.8"

2. March 3-4, 1960.......22.1"

3. March 5-7, 2001......22.0"

4. March 13-14, 1993...20.1"

5. March 20-22, 1958...18.8"

That's awesome :)

Is 3 to 1 even possible? That's pretty much what's floating around in ponds after it snows lol.

The wind argument is ridiculous. I remember poking you over it snowing in the coastal plain on NE winds. You had legitimate concerns over snowfall rates not providing the cooling.

This wind stuff is nonsense unless these guys are far more clueless than we think.

But thinking about it Scott it would explain the cracked out accumulation maps that had snow west of highway 24 (ha).

Sleet is on average 3:1.

Maybe after years of Tweets of Morch talk from Kevin, the mets didn't believe the coast could get dumped on in March anymore.

Some of the ratios must be really high from Kevin to Will to HubbDave. With that prolonged midlevel frontogenesis/TROWAL it was reasonable to think the interior would rack up the 15-20:1. Even with temps of 31-32F it's possible...October '11 proved that to me.

Sleet is on average 3:1.

Maybe after years of Tweets of Morch talk from Kevin, the mets didn't believe the coast could get dumped on in March anymore.

Some of the ratios must be really high from Kevin to Will to HubbDave. With that prolonged midlevel frontogenesis/TROWAL it was reasonable to think the interior would rack up the 15-20:1. Even with temps of 31-32F it's possible...October '11 proved that to me.

Norton 24.6 3.42 W/e! MQE 29.8 3.0 w/e

Sleet is on average 3:1. Maybe after years of Tweets of Morch talk from Kevin, the mets didn't believe the coast could get dumped on in March anymore. Some of the ratios must be really high from Kevin to Will to HubbDave. With that prolonged midlevel frontogenesis/TROWAL it was reasonable to think the interior would rack up the 15-20:1. Even with temps of 31-32F it's possible...October '11 proved that to me.

It was def high ratio here, even though I do not melt it down... easy to move with the snowblower and shovel (although I almost destryed a $900 snowblower today - ran over/ingested an unplugged outdoor extension cord that is from Christmas - what a disaster - required litterally slamming the snowblower with a sledgehammer to fix it...what an idiot).

Sleet is on average 3:1. Maybe after years of Tweets of Morch talk from Kevin, the mets didn't believe the coast could get dumped on in March anymore. Some of the ratios must be really high from Kevin to Will to HubbDave. With that prolonged midlevel frontogenesis/TROWAL it was reasonable to think the interior would rack up the 15-20:1. Even with temps of 31-32F it's possible...October '11 proved that to me.

And the temps were even lower than this. Most of the night was 27F or 28F at ORH...in fact ORH went from 9pm to 11am at 28F or colder. Maybe there was a weenie in between ob at 29F...but it was sufficiently cold for good ratios. The 900mb temps were like -7C or -8C at one point. That said, there was certainly a lot of water in the snow overall...but there was probably good 10-12 hours of the storm where it was a drier snow.

lol.

Just got in from snowblowing.  As much as I love the snow, we have the absolute worst driveway for a snowblower. 

...Uphill

..."L" shaped

...Gravel surface.

Snapped a shear pin tonight.

Nothing like replacing a shear pin when it's cold and snowy.  :axe:

lol.

Just got in from snowblowing.  As much as I love the snow, we have the absolute worst driveway for a snowblower. 

...Uphill

..."L" shaped

...Gravel surface.

Snapped a shear pin tonight.

See my tale above -

We had an extension cord from Christmas that got locked in ice/snow. I usually avoided the spot but forgot about it today. I ran it over and it started to get wrapped around the axle that the snowblower uses to pick up snow. Popped the axle out of its mounting. I had to remove the bracket and some other bolts (did not dare open the gear thing) and slam the side of the blower to bendout the steel. I was able to force the axle back into the mount and put everything back in order. 

#1 dumb thing I have done in a while

they backed off a ton. Some of the watch area went to 2-4. Brockton got 24" in that 2-4 zone.

I think you're 100% right.

The wind nonsense is really only valid in interior se ma. Ie west Plymouth carver etc. the difference there would have been a few inches versus 10+ that fell.

I snowed pretty much the entire storm it was just moosh until 2am last night.

Anyway nice work Will. This was a fun one. Not often do we see 30" wet snows in march around Boston

Winds were NNE-NE on the coast south of BOS which happens many times as you know. You can get away with that near rt 24 and west..which is what happened. You also had winds backed more north there too which is usually the case even without a coastal front. Wind direction wasn't my fear..it was how much QPF would fall and how spread out would it be. You need to to really come how hard during the day..or get it to come down at night. Nightime in March might as well be January. No issues there. But, if we are getting 1sm -SN..even 3/4-SN during he day..it won't cut it in a borderline atmosphere. But the precip issue was not the case in SE MA..nor the temps in ORH. By Wednesday night it was time to go more bullish for snow here and it was clear yesterday morning..game on. Many just didn't buy the euro I guess..but the ensembles QPF did it for me as well as some of the mesos. I made a comment even about the SPC WRF which is outstanding BTW.

And the temps were even lower than this. Most of the night was 27F or 28F at ORH...in fact ORH went from 9pm to 11am at 28F or colder. Maybe there was a weenie in between ob at 29F...but it was sufficiently cold for good ratios. The 900mb temps were like -7C or -8C at one point. That said, there was certainly a lot of water in the snow overall...but there was probably good 10-12 hours of the storm where it was a drier snow.
I had 2.5" of 20:1 yesterday afternoon, but it had that squeaky wet snow compaction sound to it when walking on it.

What was the ORH w.e. total? Do you know if they have one of the newer AWPAGs to more accurately report the liquid equiv?

I didn't find any w.e's here, but I was mildly surprised at how fluffy the snow was in Naugatuck. Not the super "fluff-factor" snow, but not nearly as wet as I was expecting. I'm also talking about at 6:45 a.m. By the time I got to New Haven it was very slushy.

I had 2.5" of 20:1 yesterday afternoon, but it had that squeaky wet snow compaction sound to it when walking on it. What was the ORH w.e. total? Do you know if they have one of the newer AWPAGs to more accurately report the liquid equiv?

Their W.E. is a disaster in snow events. I cut a biscuit in the November event to help them out because it was showing like 0.09 of qpf or something with over 6" of snow, lol. I had 0.47" W.E. I didn't take a core sample of this one, I probably should tonight. I'm going to guess there's about 1.7-1.9 of lquid in there. I think ratios overall were probably in the 12 to 1 range here. It might be a little less though...the ratios did come up quite a bit last night and early this morning. So I probably shouldn't be surprised to find 1.4" of liquid.

Actually the more I think about it...its probably closer to an inch and a half...we def got it pretty fluffy for a time.

What is your elevation there? Is it 600 feet?What is the guy from Staffordville at for elevation?

650-675', depending on where on my lot.  Off the top of my head, the guy in Staffordville is at 8-850' I believe.

Tomorrow I'll go pick up sap at 1200' in Union.  Too bad the snow will have settled some by then.

I think a big part of this is what Steve said.  The freak out over the bust in DC and the freak out over the previous bust.  They got nervous.  I do think the DC bust played a roll but as Stormtracker indicated in his Leslie Nielsen from Airplane moment (we're all pulling for you)...the Euro was decent down in DC it was the other models that stunk.

I think a big part of this is what Steve said.  The freak out over the bust in DC and the freak out over the previous bust.  They got nervous.  I do think the DC bust played a roll but as Stormtracker indicated in his Leslie Nielsen from Airplane moment (we're all pulling for you)...the Euro was decent down in DC it was the other models that stunk.

Scott you kept the ship upright. The civil debate was an education as it unfolded. To you go the accolades. Bravo and many thanks.

I didn't find any w.e's here, but I was mildly surprised at how fluffy the snow was in Naugatuck. Not the super "fluff-factor" snow, but not nearly as wet as I was expecting. I'm also talking about at 6:45 a.m. By the time I got to New Haven it was very slushy.

I shoveled several times.. the first 8" at a.m was extremely fluffy.. I then shoveled 4" more a few hours later and it was the blue bomb type stuff you saw the blue in between the snow balls much different.. and then my last 2" was very very slushy and heavy.. 

It was def high ratio here, even though I do not melt it down... easy to move with the snowblower and shovel (although I almost destryed a $900 snowblower today - ran over/ingested an unplugged outdoor extension cord that is from Christmas - what a disaster - required litterally slamming the snowblower with a sledgehammer to fix it...what an idiot).

LOL, My brother ran over a conduit about 18 inches long, I had to bring my big ass bolt cutters down to get it out, it was twisted around the auger.

And three miles west of Jerry I got probably 78". He got stiffed on one storm while I cleaned up, amazing the difference a couple miles can make near the coast,

I think Thursday had a lot to do with that reasoning.

But it was spurious. I read your post right before dawn today lamenting it would stop accumulating when the sun came up despite unreal radar and temps in the 20s. Otoh, Thursday morning when it was accumulating was 4-5 degree warmer when it began, never dropped below freezing until Thursday might, and had way lower rates. Then again, I distinctly remember thinking that way after observing march of 1957 and 1958 wet march 33-34 paste only accumulating at night. Then 3/3/60 came along and it hit me...it's the temperature. Once I saw we were in the 20s, I thought we'd do something big. Scott kept telling folks it was the temps. That was the difference and they were driven by cold just above the deck and high rates.

And for the record we had only a 3 inch difference as I recall 12/29 as the cf only porked me for 90 minutes just for the record. So Brookline got 5.5 and I believe you had 8-9? But alas, we're all cleaning up now.

Archived