• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th-8th Ocean Storm Obs

free_man

Drove down yesterday to Greenhill beach, South Kingtown, R.I. Rt 2 was pretty bad all the way down. Hit 95 at New London and different world. At beach , a dusting and by evening , all gone. Today, doing yard work in gym shorts after run. But waves are absolutely huge, rolling in, and being held up by Northeast wind off land. Surfers are out in force getting great rides. More over wash into salt ponds and breach into Trustom Pond on Moonstone looks like a raging river.. Gotta love New England; skiing North, surfing South

Oh yea baby that sounds awesome. Wonder how Misquamicut made out

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drove down yesterday to Greenhill beach, South Kingtown, R.I. Rt 2 was pretty bad all the way down. Hit 95 at New London and different world. At beach , a dusting and by evening , all gone. Today, doing yard work in gym shorts after run. But waves are absolutely huge, rolling in, and being held up by Northeast wind off land. Surfers are out in force getting great rides. More over wash into salt ponds and breach into Trustom Pond on Moonstone looks like a raging river.. Gotta love New England; skiing North, surfing South

I made the trek to TF Green this afternoon via Rt 44, and what a difference once you go to Chepatchet (maybe 2 inches OTG), and nothing once you got to Harmony.  Then went from TFG to Wrights Farm in Harrisville and nothing OTG until I was north of Bryant college on Rt 7.  

LOL he is probably still steaming Kevin laid an ass whopping on him yesterday. He told me I look at algorithmic maps too much, the day before the storm, lol, I think he poo pooed himself to 17 or so

He did the same in the blizzard and ended up on the high end

LOL he is probably still steaming Kevin laid an ass whopping on him yesterday. He told me I look at algorithmic maps too much, the day before the storm, lol, I think he poo pooed himself to 17 or so

He's good that way.  His crazy analogy the other day about how all of the pieces would have to fall into place just the precise way was making me lol. 

Two days later still in awe at this storm. Amazing how long it snowed nonstop. Great, unforgettable winter.

I flew out of BOS Friday afternoon (an on-time departure amazingly) and literally saw from my window the snow hole in RI. Sorry to see that, but for everyone else, what a great storm.

It surprised the TV mets, but we knew all along :snowing:

• 11 months later...

Coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the fascinating "firehose" storm.  Stayed up all night and watched in awe as the snow just kept coming, and we ended up with over 20" before it stopped.  Top 5 storm in the last 30 years for this area according to MetHerb's record keeping.  I still feel bad for the never ending "hole" over Rhode Island for no apparent reason.  Such a crazy storm.

Screenshot_2013-03-08-15-55-46.png

Coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the fascinating "firehose" storm. Stayed up all night and watched in awe as the snow just kept coming, and we ended up with over 20" before it stopped. Top 5 storm in the last 30 years for this area according to MetHerb's record keeping. I still feel bad for the never ending "hole" over Rhode Island for no apparent reason. Such a crazy storm.

Insane topography-driven gradient

Coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the fascinating "firehose" storm. Stayed up all night and watched in awe as the snow just kept coming, and we ended up with over 20" before it stopped. Top 5 storm in the last 30 years for this area according to MetHerb's record keeping. I still feel bad for the never ending "hole" over Rhode Island for no apparent reason. Such a crazy storm.

Can you guess where IJD is?

lol!!!

Hey now, that wasn't too bad of a hole (like that area is usually in). The snow amounts were still pretty damn good.

I know, I'm closer to Willi than you are. And they did ok, looks like 6-8 according to that map. But I got 20" imby about 10 miles west and 400' higher.

These type of "firehose" events tend to have larger topographical influence than usual since there isn't big frontogenesis driving the lift...its basically just a shot of moisture straight from the ocean, so topography will tend to mess with it a bit.

Dec 1992 was in the same general family of events...though much stronger with the sfc winds.

I know, I'm closer to Willi than you are. And they did ok, looks like 6-8 according to that map. But I got 20" imby about 10 miles west and 400' higher.

Lucky for me I'm am far enough away and never get affected by that snow hole.  I was in that dark pink for this one.  I'm actually closer to Pomfret off of 169, in the higher part of Brooklyn, just over 400'.

Great storm. Where I live now had almost 2'. About 18" in that one back in Dorchester. Not bad for the washed away zone some had. I had my doubts for my specific area, but it started to hit me the day before that it could be a larger event even for BOS. Did not expect that much though. One key aspect was the cold advection at 925 mb on the euro.

Great storm. Where I live now had almost 2'. About 18" in that one back in Dorchester. Not bad for the washed away zone some had. I had my doubts for my specific area, but it started to hit me the day before that it could be a larger event even for BOS. Did not expect that much though. One key aspect was the cold advection at 925 mb on the euro.

That was one part of the stom that really seperated it from further south where the monster bust happened....the 925mb temps were like -4C over us...not rotting aorund 0C. That screamed monster paste bomb...it actually turned kind of powdery back across the interior for the latter half of the storm.

That was one part of the stom that really seperated it from further south where the monster bust happened....the 925mb temps were like -4C over us...not rotting aorund 0C. That screamed monster paste bomb...it actually turned kind of powdery back across the interior for the latter half of the storm.

The snow that fell that morning really wasn't wet at all. It was about 28 or so and just pouring dendrites. You did a good job with ORH too. I wrestled with that one on the coast. That was not an easy call, but the cold advection just aloft was tough to ignore.

That is also the storm where I cemented my hatred for the NAM. That POS had 850 temps above 0C going to the Berks. What a disgusting and incorrect solution.

there are some events that are dissapointing and some that are devastating and that was the latter...just scattered flurries for hours while almost everyone around was ripping snow

I've had ones like that too...except usually I'm ripping sleet or rain.

Still, I love extreme heat too...and there's no better place in NE than the valley for that. Makes the golf ball jump off the clubface.

upon close inspection there are some strange mins even in the general jackpot area but they are tiny tiny or are those graphic inconsistancies?

I believe those graphics are auto-generated from the PNS report...so there's probably a few lower measurements that really aren't representative...or if they forget to take out an old measurement in the middle of the storm and leave it up, the program will still plot it.

That had some fluky things. The RI dryslot was the most fascination screw job I've ever seen.

The subsidence was one thing... but was made worse by the fact that Tolland did well and the trolls on the hills equated it to "they always downslope in the valley... no surprise" 

Archived