Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th-8th Ocean Storm Obs

free_man

and now the harsh reality of mid March sun under 850's rising above 0C -  

Nearing 50F at FIT!!   

The depth in blue of the skies with the searing brilliance reflecting off the landscape, while the confusion of a clear spring vibe in the air, plays with your senses, is all pretty fantastic right now.  

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOX tossed all the Hampshire county reports in the latest PNS for some reason.  Parts of Hadley and South Amherst had a T.  Goes to show just how strong the signal needs to be post mid-Feb to even lean advy criteria.  No cold antecedent airmass equals no chance.  I ended up going 1-3 for Umass and busted high.  

...HAMPSHIRE COUNTY...   WARE                  10.8   700 AM  3/08  COOP OBSERVER   BELCHERTOWN            8.0  1145 AM  3/08  HAM RADIO   HUNTINGTON             7.0   845 AM  3/08  HAM RADIO   WORTHINGTON            6.6   700 AM  3/08  COOP OBSERVER   SOUTH HADLEY           2.5  1146 AM  3/08  HAM RADIO   NORTHAMPTON            2.0   939 AM  3/08  HAM RADIO    AMHERST                1.0   700 AM  3/08  COOP OBSERVER 

It wasn't just elevation, there was just a massive QPF cutoff W of the Ct River N of Rt 9.  I just got back from driving to Pittsfield with my wife and there is plenty of bare ground now showing even in the N Berkshires.  Most of what fell yesterday has vaporized through the Worthington/Plainfield/Cummington area and it looks like hardly anything fell along the Rt 2 corridor - Savoy, Peru, Charlemont etc.  Savoy/Peru has ok snow pack but still pretty meager. 

It wasn't just elevation, there was just a massive QPF cutoff W of the Ct River N of Rt 9. I just got back from driving to Pittsfield with my wife and there is plenty of bare ground now showing even in the N Berkshires. Most of what fell yesterday has vaporized through the Worthington/Plainfield/Cummington area and it looks like hardly anything fell along the Rt 2 corridor - Savoy, Peru, Charlemont etc. Savoy/Peru has ok snow pack but still pretty meager.

Mrg says still 2 feet there?

It wasn't just elevation, there was just a massive QPF cutoff W of the Ct River N of Rt 9.  I just got back from driving to Pittsfield with my wife and there is plenty of bare ground now showing even in the N Berkshires.  Most of what fell yesterday has vaporized through the Worthington/Plainfield/Cummington area and it looks like hardly anything fell along the Rt 2 corridor - Savoy, Peru, Charlemont etc.  Savoy/Peru has ok snow pack but still pretty meager. 

No doubt the primary mesoband set up shop well east and south of GC, with a second one out in Mitch's area.  Top of Berkshire east did get about 6" though and in town had maybe 2" which has all melted by now I'm sure.  At least here elevation was the primary factor because the gradient is extremely sharp in all directions going down my hill, a much smaller spatial scale than even the width of the band. 

I did notice the winds were heavily out of the north on the UMass radar which generally results in less shadowing... In fact it was snowing pretty well for most of the day and evening in Amherst, but with temps between 36-38 it would've taken 1/16sm +tssn to get us down to freezing. 

I took a weenie drive, the snow line down in SE CT is literally at the border. From my house to Windham CT goes from 5-6 OTG to 14-16 in 6 miles. Garth who is 5 miles as my crow flies has 14, his crow flies drunkardly 15 miles.But when this case study comes out please let us know. I looked at OKX, CHH soundings for yesterday and the day before and nothing stood out, thought there might be  hint . Pretty sure it was downward drying at midlevels. The persistence is what is truly amazing, even when the axis shifted yesterday the drying was still taking place.

as long as i live i will never forget the dec 1992 storm living in bristol ct where we got about eleven inches and by the next day it had settled down to eight or so and i took a drive up to wolcott (2mi as the crow flies) and the snow was up to mid thigh!!)..

next best one was feb 06 going from 16.5 inches here to 8-9 inches downtown  spfd (1-2 mi) away as crow flies to nearly 20 inches in east longmeadow just another 1-2 mi from the house

I took a weenie drive, the snow line down in SE CT is literally at the border. From my house to Windham CT goes from 5-6 OTG to 14-16 in 6 miles. Garth who is 5 miles as my crow flies has 14, his crow flies drunkardly 15 miles.But when this case study comes out please let us know. I looked at OKX, CHH soundings for yesterday and the day before and nothing stood out, thought there might be  hint . Pretty sure it was downward drying at midlevels. The persistence is what is truly amazing, even when the axis shifted yesterday the drying was still taking place.

Ekster can look at cross sections and isentropic stuff which might explain what happened. I'll be curious if that shows it. I have a few ideas on what happened...mostly what other mets have said about it. Just a combo of a few things I think.

I had some drifting but I always do where I am. That total is too high IMHO, but I could buy 20. I noticed the Quincy total always high and it's a general public report which should raise flags.

there is another total where the number is usually a bit high......Framingham. 

anyway i was wondering throughout the storm how "blue hill" was doing. when i saw canton had 3.4 inches at 8 am on fri am and it snow'd hard for much of day , then ripp'd at nite, then into yesterday. i thought a 30 was the ball park.  I mean when i hear a report of randolph and s. weymouth in low 20's. I was thinking , i hope the blue hill guy didn't take this storm off.

Any idea what the record snow is at MQE and where this ranks.

there is another total where the number is usually a bit high......Framingham. 

anyway i was wondering throughout the storm how "blue hill" was doing. when i saw canton had 3.4 inches at 8 am on fri am and it snow'd hard for much of day , then ripp'd at nite, then into yesterday. i thought a 30 was the ball park.  I mean when i hear a report of randolph and s. weymouth in low 20's. I was thinking , i hope the blue hill guy didn't take this storm off.

Any idea what the record snow is at MQE and where this ranks.

I could buy low 20s I guess there in Quincy.

Anyways MQE stas yesterday and where it ranks.   http://www.bluehill.org/discussion.txt

OBSERVATORY

MILTON, MASSACHUSETTS

ELEVATION 635 FEET, 10 MILES SSW OF BOSTON, MA

DAILY DISCUSSION AND CLIMATE SUMMARY

FRIDAY, MARCH 8, 2013

ALL TIMES ARE IN EASTERN STANDARD TIME

PRELIMINARY SNOWFALL TOTAL 29.8 INCHES

MARCH 6-8, 2013

Total melted precipitation over 3 inches.

Blue Hill Greatest Snowstorms, inches, (1885-2013):

1) 38.7 on Feb 24-28, 1969

2) 30.3 on Mar 3-5, 1960

3) 30.1 on Feb 6-7, 1978

4) 30.0 on Mar 31 - Apr 1, 1997

5) 29.8 on Mar 6-8, 2013

6) 26.6 on Feb 8-9, 2013

7) 24.7 on Feb 17-18, 2003

Greatest March Snowstorms, inches (1885-2013)

1) 30.3 on 3-5 Mar, 1960

2) 30.0 on 31 Mar-1 Apr, 1997

3) 29.8 on 6-8 Mar, 2013

4) 23.0 on 5-7 Mar, 2001

5) 19.5 on 19-20 Mar, 1956

Mrg says still 2 feet there?

I dunno' he's S of where were today so I can't fairly comment on his neighborhood.   I can only speak for the areas 10 - 15 miles N of him and there was just not much snow in the E Slope of the N Berks. 

Chesterfield and Beckett are some type of anomolous winter zones and not just by Pete's enthusiastic standards.

I dunno' he's S of where were today so I can't fairly comment on his neighborhood.   I can only speak for the areas 10 - 15 miles N of him and there was just not much snow in the E Slope of the N Berks. 

Chesterfield and Beckett are some type of anomolous winter zones and not just by Pete's enthusiastic standards.

worthington per coop reports this morning has 20 OTG

I could buy low 20s I guess there in Quincy.

Anyways MQE stas yesterday and where it ranks.   http://www.bluehill.org/discussion.txt

This statement is pretty awesome...  congrats!

"This is the first time that two snowfalls of 25 inches or more have occurred in a single winter season in the 128-year record of the Observatory."

This statement is pretty awesome...  congrats!

"This is the first time that two snowfalls of 25 inches or more have occurred in a single winter season in the 128-year record of the Observatory."

Yeah just to my south...they've had two >2' storms. Just nuts.

Yup.  Snow is retreating faster than Ray's weenie in a whore house full of horny senior citizens.

LOL he is probably still steaming Kevin laid an ass whopping on him yesterday. He told me I look at algorithmic maps too much, the day before the storm, lol, I think he poo pooed himself to 17 or so

Drove down yesterday to Greenhill beach, South Kingtown, R.I. Rt 2 was pretty bad all the way down. Hit 95 at New London and different world. At beach , a dusting and by evening , all gone. Today, doing yard work in gym shorts after run. But waves are absolutely huge, rolling in, and being held up by Northeast wind off land. Surfers are out in force getting great rides. More over wash into salt ponds and breach into Trustom Pond on Moonstone looks like a raging river.. Gotta love New England; skiing North, surfing South

Archived