joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 27th Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like about 1.6-1.7" of white sand out there now with a mix of pellets and parachutes. If only this storm had been slightly colder in the midlevels, it would have been a decent hit. Low levels have been fine here for the duration of the event so far, still at 32.5° F although it is slowly creeping upward.

There was a burst of +SN from just after 2 AM to 3 AM that produced most of what's on the ground now.

Dual pol says snow trying to work south into extreme N CT, like Union area and Woodstock/Thompson.

Looks like we'll end up with the big T for the event.  I wish I could check on my sap tanks at the1200' site in Union this morning but I have a meeting in town preventing me from doing that.  It's only about1-2 miles south of border and almost twice as high as me so I wonder if they had measurable.  Might have been the only spot in NE CT!

I was thinking that as part of the post-winter grading where we each give our A-F grade of the winter's in our respective backyards, we also look at the models.  At this point, I'm giving modeling as a whole a D.  The EC managed the best in the class with  a C+ overall and you can work your way down from there.  If you grade on a curve, sure move the EC to the top.  But let not it's fantastic run with the blizzard overshadow the ather instances it was not so stellar (and I'm not referring to today which is just and epic fail).

Meanwhile, SN+, huge goose feathers.

31.2/31  Hope I can hold on a while before the changeover.

Edit:  these flakes are just piling up. 

Of course the NAM decides to get this right perfectly, and it's the one time we want it wrong :axe:

Oh well, good news is that it's snowing hard at Whiteface, and ski country should do well with tis, since what fun is suno if you can't enjoy it! Good luck to all those who are getting snow! For me, on to the next one! (early march?)

-skisheep

I can't say the Euro has been all that bad out here.  It pretty well naiuled the oro effects and even showed the thermal gradient which has borne out with all snow so far in the elevated areas from the Catskills north to here.  Meanwhile the 6Z NAM has the 0C 850 line in the central Adirondacks at 12Z.

<2 or I'd take him to Reins next time I'm driving though.....

I should have stuck to my guns.

Nam ftw. Euro laid an egg it sees.

Euro has a deepening low on the Mid Atlantic coast at 192 hrs..  that all I saw.  It's about time we banished Morch!

Of course the NAM decides to get this right perfectly, and it's the one time we want it wrong :axe:

Oh well, good news is that it's snowing hard at Whiteface, and ski country should do well with tis, since what fun is suno if you can't enjoy it! Good luck to all those who are getting snow! For me, on to the next one! (early march?)

-skisheep

Getting a parachute, goose feather fest right now. Even though I typically downslope on easterly flow, the strong easterly LLJ is allowing for some spillover just west of the Berkshire crest. In other words, the snowflakes that are being generated in the clouds are being advected west and are reaching the ground a bit further west than what radar would suggest. Cool stuff. I've seen this happen in NW flow upslope, but not in easterly. Despite the bust, this is an interesting storm meteorologically. About 2" now.

Looks like we'll end up with the big T for the event.  I wish I could check on my sap tanks at the1200' site in Union this morning but I have a meeting in town preventing me from doing that.  It's only about1-2 miles south of border and almost twice as high as me so I wonder if they had measurable.  Might have been the only spot in NE CT!

A number of schools delayed up there... Union/Woodstock/Brooklyn. 

I was thinking that as part of the post-winter grading where we each give our A-F grade of the winter's in our respective backyards, we also look at the models.  At this point, I'm giving modeling as a whole a D.  The EC managed the best in the class with  a C+ overall and you can work your way down from there.  If you grade on a curve, sure move the EC to the top.  But let not it's fantastic run with the blizzard overshadow the ather instances it was not so stellar (and I'm not referring to today which is just and epic fail).

Meanwhile, SN+, huge goose feathers.

31.2/31  Hope I can hold on a while before the changeover.

Edit:  these flakes are just piling up. 

Excellent Idea!

Overall model grade to date: D-

Overall Winter weather season grade to date: C....and that is only due to the blizzard. March can still bring the grade down to a D. 

Greenfield right on the line.  Almost comical the flipping back and forth from -RA to SN.   Up to 32.5.  very light rain atm.

I guess I'll take my 2" and be happy since so few are getting any snow. 

Good weenie pile building snow. Wish Kevin was here to do my shoveling and sculpting. lol

LOL.  My wife just left for work--I told her she'd probably have rain by the time she got to 91.   ack to huge aggregates afgter a 20 minute hiatus.  Radar looking pretty ragged once this goes through. 

Archived