CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Feb 27th Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heavy band coming into PLY now.  My vis really is dropping quickly.  Heavy snow vis 1/8  temp 32.0F after reaching 32.1F earlier

It's ripping now. We might have had 1" earlier but it melted before I saw it I guess because this band is the first accumulation I'm seeing on the roads/ sidewalks/driveways at least. 

32.5F so even if we underachieve it should look nice. Definitely SN+ now. Sticking to the roads finally.

Just had a major gust that HAD to exceed 50 MPH in Old Lyme.  Wow.

The notoriously low reading anemometer at the Westerly Airport gusted to 40kts

Judging by the creaking of the house, I'm guessing we've had frequent gusts in the low 50's....

CL&P outages in SE CT increasing...

On the fence here, Nothing falling but i have some doubt's

Not looking good.  That R/S line keeps pushing up through LA it looks like.  

Do you think that R/S drops back down south at any point during this? (Coastal development?)  Or is it once it's moves past you to the north/west, it stays there for the duration?

you have become awfully jaded for such a youngin....  It is time to transfer to a non-downsloped school.

The downslope paranoia has gotten to him. The best forcing up there was never supposed to be this early anyway. He should do fine once the LLJ impinges on the high terrain. They should do well enough on the east wind aloft.

lol...nothing more than a tiny coating here but that's all gone now.

I'm surprised by that...we had sleet and mangled flakes along with the barest of coatings.  The higher elevations had a little more so I would think at some point you had sleet or mangled flakes.  Maybe we'll do better tonight.

I stayed up until 11:30pm and it was drizzling then and it had been doing that since it started at around 9:30pm.

The downslope paranoia has gotten to him. The best forcing up there was never supposed to be this early anyway. He should do fine once the LLJ impinges on the high terrain. They should do well enough on the east wind aloft.

LOL yeah it has. Also everyone around me is calling bust already and even though I know the best snow was supposed to be later today it still effects me. People are already complaining about the forecast. 

Record time! 2 hours after the storm started and people already calling bust! :lol:

So that is how this develop?  I was struck at the difference from our house (according to my Partner as I am in India) at 700 feet on the Salisbury Webster line. and Contoocook at about 400 or 450 feet and Con where it is raining.   so when the LLJ swings around it gets colder and the precip gets heavier?

So that is how this develop?  I was struck at the difference from our house (according to my Partner as I am in India) at 700 feet on the Salisbury Webster line. and Contoocook at about 400 or 450 feet and Con where it is raining.   so when the LLJ swings around it gets colder and the precip gets heavier?

Well the hope was that this front end precip as the LLJ rotates north would be in the form of mostly snow due to lift dynamically cooling the column. However that part is busting at the lower elevations.

Later today the LLJ will impinge on the high terrain and there they will have the better boundary layer and added lift to help cool the column further. For places without the elevation the hope will ride on whether any occlusion can push the warm layer aloft back to the south. Then precip rates may be able to overcome the marginal surface temps.

LOL yeah it has. Also everyone around me is calling bust already and even though I know the best snow was supposed to be later today it still effects me. People are already complaining about the forecast. 

Record time! 2 hours after the storm started and people already calling bust! :lol:

That is a very popular thing to do. If it doesn't rip as soon as flakes start flying the bust calls are many and loud.

Many hours of precip left to go before people can cry bust.

I had sleet/ ice on bricks and driveway this morning when I went out at 5:00 am

I was asleep at that hour so it could be. I woke up briefly at 2:30am and it was raining and 32.5F with no ice here. The more suprising fact was that it started to rain from the start here, with not a sleet pellet or snowflake and everyone and their grandma forecasted snow.

Archived