joxey
Feb 27th Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, as promised here is the link to the photo set from today's weenie drive:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weathermhm/sets/72157632872542723/

I tried to closely document the differences between the west slope and the east slope. My route took me over Grange Hill in Hinsdale onto MA-143 east toward Peru. I stopped at the crest in Peru at 2.1K. It was foggy, windy and snowy. I then stayed on MA-143 into Worthington where I then hung a left onto East Windsor Rd. to get toward MA-9. The toughest part of the trip was through here as elevations are around 1.8K with treacherous driving and heavy upslope snow. I then turned left onto MA-9 through Windsor where I took another quick stop at the crest before descending toward Dalton and Pittsfield.

The difference between the east and west slopes today was absolutely astounding due to temperatures being near freezing and the easterly LLJ causing a strong upslope/downslope couplet. The precipitation didn't really begin to get heavy until just east of the crest, although it was dumping pretty good there too. It quickly tapers to drizzle as soon as you head down a few hundred feet on the west slope. It's still just a light drizzle here at 35° F.

I hope to get a little on the back side, but that probably won't happen until later tomorrow or tomorrow night as the low slowly lifts northward.

love the slide show....you took ALOT of pics. i prolly clicked thru 50 to get to peru. lol

love the slide show....you took ALOT of pics. i prolly clicked thru 50 to get to peru. lol

Thanks...I tried to really document the subtle changes with each small gain/loss in elevation, hence the large number of photos. One thing I really noticed today is that what slope you're on is more important than elevation. The photo from the top of Grange Hill in Hinsdale (west slope) is about 1.9K but had nowhere near as much snow as 1.9K on the east slope. Same thing with MPM and I. He's actually 100' lower than I, but had a lot more snow than myself today. The west side of the Hudson Valley around 200-300' still had more than I did. The downslope flow torched the midlevels last night and the low levels today.

highest total in SNE i see so far

HEATH     7.5  246pm

check that

PERU                   8.0  1022 AM    and judging by the time.....they have over 10 now easy!

big winners so far

i see are ludlow 1800ft 11.0

woddford vt    11.8

Thanks...I tried to really document the subtle changes with each small gain/loss in elevation, hence the large number of photos. One thing I really noticed today is that what slope you're on is more important than elevation. The photo from the top of Grange Hill in Hinsdale (west slope) is about 1.9K but had nowhere near as much snow as 1.9K on the east slope. Same thing with MPM and I. He's actually 100' lower than I, but had a lot more snow than myself today. The west side of the Hudson Valley around 200-300' still had more than I did. The downslope flow torched the midlevels last night and the low levels today.

is that stuff over the hudson valley gonna get the berks with much this evening

Do you live in Lennox or the Hinsdale area?

highest total in SNE i see so far

HEATH     7.5  246pm

check that

PERU                   8.0  1022 AM    and judging by the time.....they have over 10 now easy!

big winners so far

i see are ludlow 1800ft 11.0

woddford vt    11.8

No surprises there. I stopped in a windy, exposed spot and they had a solid 6" of new snow there, so they probably are into double digits now in the undisturbed locations. Overall snow pack was quite deep there with probably > 20" in the woods.

Archived