joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 27th Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're the NE Patriots of snowfall in in SW Maine: not necessarily at the very top every time, but almost always in a good spot.

For foothills locations, at least those with COOP obs, Hartford (20 mi NW of LEW) has been tops.  Location is at 700', 250' higher than the one in Bridgton, and Hartford's avg (records only back thru winter 98-99) is 109".  Bridgton's avg is 79" for those same years.

Now 10-20 flakes in the air.

For foothills locations, at least those with COOP obs, Hartford (20 mi NW of LEW) has been tops.  Location is at 700', 250' higher than the one in Bridgton, and Hartford's avg (records only back thru winter 98-99) is 109".  Bridgton's avg is 79" for those same years.

Now 10-20 flakes in the air.

Yeah, That whole area around Streaked Mtn does quite well

32.3F, FINALLY sticking on all surfaces. Hopefully those bands in SW NH can rotate up and give us 3-4".

just dumping here right now,  but tbh it's above 700-800' that it's sticking (barely sticking just a few hundred feet below if that).   maybe you'll get lucky for 3-4",  but I doubt it.   32.5F

Snow finally reaching the ground in AUG.  Still not even worth calling -SN right outside the office window, but things over 3/8 mile to the south have disappeared.

Edit:  Coming down better, lgt/mod, though nothing like the one in early Jan 1987, which went from flakeless to 1/8 mile vis in about 30 seconds (after the "snow front" had taken 8 hr to get from PWM to AUG.)

just dumping here right now,  but tbh it's above 700-800' that it's sticking (barely sticking just a few hundred feet below if that).   maybe you'll get lucky for 3-4",  but I doubt it.   32.5F

Well, it's sticking here now under 15-20dbz echoes and maybe 1.5 mile vis -SN at best, so I figure once its dark and that moves in we could get 2-3" minimum? I hope.

I have to go to my MIL to.shovel her out. Just leaving my driveway alone

what a sloppy, slushy mess out there. Puddles everywhere.  Luckily I don't think it will freeze up tonight and with highs in the 40s for tomorrow some of this mess will melt. With the temps dipping below freezing for tomorrow night could be some ice issues on Fri AM. 

NH kind of got porked..even the Lakes region. Sometimes due erly flow does that over the mtns...although part of the reason was that the band was disorganized this morning. It's organizing now, just over ME. Best stuff in NH is right on the ME border even down to DAW.

I don't know--looks like Jackson area's doing okay.

Attitash/Bear Peak

post-462-0-31995300-1361999184_thumb.jpg

Well, it's sticking here now under 15-20dbz echoes and maybe 1.5 mile vis -SN at best, so I figure once its dark and that moves in we could get 2-3" minimum? I hope.

3-4" would definitely be tops,  probably 1-2".   splitting hairs over a meh system.  lol

Okay, as promised here is the link to the photo set from today's weenie drive:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weathermhm/sets/72157632872542723/

I tried to closely document the differences between the west slope and the east slope. My route took me over Grange Hill in Hinsdale onto MA-143 east toward Peru. I stopped at the crest in Peru at 2.1K. It was foggy, windy and snowy. I then stayed on MA-143 into Worthington where I then hung a left onto East Windsor Rd. to get toward MA-9. The toughest part of the trip was through here as elevations are around 1.8K with treacherous driving and heavy upslope snow. I then turned left onto MA-9 through Windsor where I took another quick stop at the crest before descending toward Dalton and Pittsfield.

The difference between the east and west slopes today was absolutely astounding due to temperatures being near freezing and the easterly LLJ causing a strong upslope/downslope couplet. The precipitation didn't really begin to get heavy until just east of the crest, although it was dumping pretty good there too. It quickly tapers to drizzle as soon as you head down a few hundred feet on the west slope. It's still just a light drizzle here at 35° F.

I hope to get a little on the back side, but that probably won't happen until later tomorrow or tomorrow night as the low slowly lifts northward.

Archived