• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Revenge of the Weekend Warrior Storm: 2/15-2/16

PhineasC

I've seen enough model mayhem today to not really buy into any one of them. It's a group hug.

When you read various discos and see that the pros are a little baffled which way to go here it speaks volumes. I'm not taking a dig at the pros by saying that. Sharp troughs like this can cause a lot of things to happen in a very short time.

Seems like we can probably expect measurable precip. Beyond that is far from resolved. I'm not as optimistic as usual and that's prob a good thing. My optimism sucks.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mentioned the UKIE earlier, and it has much more precip in the western areas than the GFS does.

Yea, the UK has been leading the charge hear and I think the 12z UK run is probably about our best case scenario, it is a bit further west with the frontal wave, centers the max precip right across our area, then gets the whole thing going just fast enough to even clip us with a bit of the coastal action.  Thats probably about the best solution we can hope for. 

Srefs are awesome wrt improvement. Nice, hope nam follows.

Many look at the SREF as a sneak peak at the following runs, but since most of the data is based off the previous runs I see them more as a short range ensemble tool nothing more.  If anything they give confirmation to the previous runs more then an indication of the next. 

I don't trust the SREFs at all.

neither do I, they are fun to look sometimes. 

Funny thing is I was noticing for a while that a few members of the SREF have been throwing out wild solutions that throw off the mean and make it useless at times.  Then a met in the PA forum confirmed that NCEP is aware of the problem and is looking into a solution but that for now use the SREF with caution because it is known to have extreme jumps in short lead times before events. 

neither do I, they are fun to look sometimes. 

Funny thing is I was noticing for a while that a few members of the SREF have been throwing out wild solutions that throw off the mean and make it useless at times.  Then a met in the PA forum confirmed that NCEP is aware of the problem and is looking into a solution but that for now use the SREF with caution because it is known to have extreme jumps in short lead times before events. 

Perhaps they could add a different weighting system where if one member is drastically different it receives a lower weight. 

So this is why the SREF are useless right now

out of the 21 runs....

6 have nothing or just trace ammounts for DCA

4 have between .1 and .25

3 have between .25 and .5

4 have between .5 and .75

2 have over 1"

2 have over 2" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The average is close to .65 but....

if you remove the rediculous 4 ARW solutions that seem to be off on a reservation all the time lately the mean comes all the way down to .23

This is done based on my best estimation of exact precip for DCA but of course its showing the point which is the SREF are useless so long as they have this issue

So this is why the SREF are useless right now

out of the 21 runs....

6 have nothing or just trace ammounts for DCA

4 have between .1 and .25

3 have between .25 and .5

4 have between .5 and .75

2 have over 1"

2 have over 2" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The average is close to .65 but....

if you remove the rediculous 4 ARW solutions that seem to be off on a reservation all the time lately the mean comes all the way down to .23

This is done based on my best estimation of exact precip for DCA but of course its showing the point which is the SREF are useless so long as they have this issue

I think the mean is useless but there is information there.   I generally like the median better than the mean and like you tend to throw out the real high outliers.  They seem to show up regardless of what the 500h looks like on the operational models. 

I think the mean is useless but there is information there.   I generally like the median better than the mean and like you tend to throw out the real high outliers.  They seem to show up regardless of what the 500h looks like on the operational models. 

I know, the problem is doing that here...gives a solutions most, including myself, do not like.  If you throw out the wet outliers, and take into account the median and when the temps cool...SREF are basically advertising perhaps an inch of snow across the area.  If we had a shutout this year I would get excited to just see an inch of snow, but at this point...give me a significant event or bring on spring. 

Archived