Newest Member
    joxey
Revenge of the Weekend Warrior Storm: 2/15-2/16

PhineasC

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ellinwood! :)

Looks like a .4 or so QPF event... does look better than our past events this year except for that one clipper... again coming at night time so hopefully that helps (not that it really does anyway :axe: ) At least the 2m line is closer this time as well... decent h7 as Bob Chill has pointed out. 

Hi Ellinwood! :)

Looks like a .4 or so QPF event... does look better than our past events this year except for that one clipper... again coming at night time so hopefully that helps (not that it really does anyway :axe: ) At least the 2m line is closer this time as well... decent h7 as Bob Chill has pointed out. 

Temps on this run of the NAM are a lot better than the later runs on the VD storm (at least up here). As soon as precip starts it looks like it cools enough for snow.

Temps on this run of the NAM are a lot better than the later runs on the VD storm (at least up here). As soon as precip starts it looks like it cools enough for snow.

surface flow is out of the n-nw through the event because. Departing low n of the lakes is far enough east and hp is nosing down. From a setup standpoint, this is much much better than vd. We had to hang our hats totally on dynamics. 

That kind of surface flow would indicated a bigger spread between temps and dews. Gotta hope good rates come in quick to saturate as quick as possible. I hate virga. 

850 winds also out of the west turning to nw as precip gets going. Dews could be low. Not really sure tho. 

surface flow is out of the n-nw through the event because. Departing low n of the lakes is far enough east and hp is nosing down. From a setup standpoint, this is much much better than vd. We had to hang our hats totally on dynamics. 

That kind of surface flow would indicated a bigger spread between temps and dews. Gotta hope good rates come in quick to saturate as quick as possible. I hate virga. 

850 winds also out of the west turning to nw as precip gets going. Dews could be low. Not really sure tho. 

And that spells major league trouble for my area.....almost always

And that spells major league trouble for my area.....almost always

It can but with this system being west appears to be a problem because of dynamics and not winds. It's not an over the mountains type of thing. The sponge gets wrung as the lift/dynamics get going. That's why the precip max is so small. The nam/gfs want to wring a sponge out overhead. If that's not fraught with peril I don't know what is. 

It can but with this system being west appears to be a problem because of dynamics and not winds. It's not an over the mountains type of thing. The sponge gets wrung as the lift/dynamics get going. That's why the precip max is so small. The nam/gfs want to wring a sponge out overhead. If that's not fraught with peril I don't know what is.

Precip will expand as this develops problem is we are dealing with it at its inception stages. A faster development would put us in a more safe position. Nam took another good step at 12z. Waiting on rgem and gfs next.

Posted in the other thread...this may still be evolving. Models are also developing that trailing vort more and more. Actually getting closer to pulling it all together. If that second vort can phase in this could trend bigger.

It's possible that the 17th snowstorm is not entirely dead. This event is a piece of the vort that phases into a coastal storm out in the Atlantic.

Posted in the other thread...this may still be evolving. Models are also developing that trailing vort more and more. Actually getting closer to pulling it all together. If that second vort can phase in this could trend bigger.

You can see on some of the srefs what looks to be a more potent system potential.

Here's the 09Z plume diagram for BWI. it has .26 for the mean and median qpf which to me look reasonable.  I don't like this kink of event. It's too easy to go down in flames no matter what you forecast.  I don't see this as being an event that produces .50" as It's a strange set up for that much precip.  That said,  we can always hope.

post-70-0-60867400-1360855290_thumb.png

Precip will expand as this develops problem is we are dealing with it at its inception stages. A faster development would put us in a more safe position. Nam took another good step at 12z. Waiting on rgem and gfs next.

If I had to hedge I would say we have a better chance at an event than a non-event. I agree.

Our latitude is good for this stuff. There is potential for a good pop and its inherently tough to model even close in. High bust potential for sure

Here's the 09Z plume diagram for BWI. it has .26 for the mean and median qpf which to me look reasonable.  I don't like this kink of event. It's too easy to go down in flames no matter what you forecast.  I don't see this as being an event that produces .50" as It's a strange set up for that much precip.  That said,  we can always hope.

I will never trust SREFs precip ever again. 

Here's the 09Z plume diagram for BWI. it has .26 for the mean and median qpf which to me look reasonable. I don't like this kink of event. It's too easy to go down in flames no matter what you forecast. I don't see this as being an event that produces .50" as It's a strange set up for that much precip. That said, we can always hope.

Haven't you ever heard the saying if you don't have anything nice to say say nothing at all.

Archived