12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Revenge of the Weekend Warrior Storm: 2/15-2/16

PhineasC

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was with you except for the HECS and MECS talk. And the fact that you didn't include a whiff.

To me a whiff is off the table... its too close in and there's too much energy floating around for this to do nothing. The anafront with minimal dynamics is worse case to me. Models don't usually screw up something like that this close in.

While my concern of a full scale gulf to NE classic Miller A is obviously off the table at this point, I still think we need to be worried about a potential S MA-NE larger scale event. The trough axis orientation has been trending better and better the last few runs. What is screwing us up is the initial S/W progged to go thru NE tomorrow morning. If this trends weaker and/or further north than the models are forecasting, it gives more room for the backside shortwaves to dig in to the trough and amplify it and best case turn our anafront in to a nicely phased vort pass and less than 5 % chance, absolute best case, capture situation, while a low develops off NJ and is pulled back west by the approaching vort.

So my thought right now is:

Cartopper: 30 %

Nuisance Snow: 15 %

Streak Breaker: 15 %

Plowable (SECS): 25 %

MECS: 10 %

Capture (HECS): 5 %

I can probably refine these after seeing tonights 0Z runs as the shortwave that is concerning me will be at intiailzation at that time.

a 40% chance of a plowable event...good luck

its dry, nothing in the immediate area is over .15 and most much closer to .10, and surface temps are torching. 

so two ways to look at this run....

Deb view:  euro is dry and warm, verbatim it would just be some conversational flakes with temps in the mid to upper 30's. 

Glass half full view:  Euro is trending towards a storm and is just late to catch on.  It sometimes has problems with these small scale features within the flow, that in this case is significant to the development of our storm. 

My view:  our luck has got to change sometime, might as well be now

I'm tempted to assume ill get screwed and not even pay attention

I was in colorado a few years back with my sister on a ski trip.  She made me promise not to look at the weather for the trip.  Towards the end of the 10 days there, we got a 30" blizzard at Steamboat.  Was nice to get something totally unexpected like that.  Of course getting stuck on unfamiliar roads in a whiteout was not so much fun. 

I know... and it is troubling.  In most situations where we need fast development right near our latitude you are right we are basically done because 99/100 the guidance is a little to quick to get cyclogenesis going. Rooting for a faster development right at the last minute is usually a fail.  HOWEVER, this feels like perhaps we have a shot.  This trough is primed so when things start to get going it will happen fast I think.  This will not be a slow development.  And the models are just now jumping on this, when we do get that rare instance of a storm popping just in time and trending in our favor it is usually at the last minute like that, where the models had a hard time picking up some small scale disturbace in the larger flow until the last minute like this. 

You mentioned the UKIE earlier, and it has much more precip in the western areas than the GFS does.

I have a work call in 5 mins, but this is quite interesting. Enjoy.

DEEP CYCLONE DEVELOPING IN THE NORTHEAST...

PREFERENCE: TOWARDS A 12Z CANADIAN/12Z UKMET/12Z GFS COMPROMISE

WITH LOW CONFIDENCE

THE MAIN BRANCH OF THE WESTERLIES ACROSS WESTERN NORTH AMERICA IS

EXPECTED TO DROP IN LATITUDE WITH TIME, WHICH SHOULD ALLOW A

DEVELOPING DEEP CYCLONE JUST NORTH OF THE GREAT LAKES TO LOSE SOME

LATITUDE IN TANDEM, WITH ENERGY COMING AROUND THE EASTERN SIDE OF

THE UPSTREAM RIDGE ALLOWING THE SYSTEM TO DEEPEN WITH TIME. THE

GUIDANCE AGREES ON THESE IDEAS, BUT DETAIL ISSUES RIDDLE THE

GUIDANCE. THE 12Z ECMWF AND ITS 00Z ENSEMBLE MEAN ARE NOW THE

WEAK OUTLIERS WITH THE VORTEX NEAR THE NORTHEAST/ATLANTIC CANADA,

RATHER THAN SHIFTING THEIR UPPER LOW TO THE SOUTHERN STREAM ENERGY

MOVING UP THE EAST COAST, WHICH ALLOWS FOR A WEAKER AND MORE

STRUNG OUT CYCLONE FARTHER OUT TO SEA, WITH LESS PRECIPITATION

POTENTIAL ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES/NEW ENGLAND THAN THE

OTHER GUIDANCE. WITH TRENDS IN THE CANADIAN SWINGING TOWARDS A

STRONGER SOLUTION (AS ADVERTISED BY THE UKMET FOR OVER A DAY NOW),

AND THE MODEL CONSENSUS CURRENTLY LYING WITH THE NON-ECMWF RELATED

GUIDANCE, THE 00Z GLOBAL ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE AND 00Z ECMWF ARE BEING

GIVEN MINIMAL WEIGHT. THE PREFERENCE REMAINS A 12Z UKMET/12Z

CANADIAN/12Z GFS COMPROMISE, WHICH IS PREFERRED WITH LOW

CONFIDENCE CONSIDERING THE STREAM INTERACTION/PHASING INVOLVED

WITH THIS SYSTEM, WHICH TENDS TO BE A LOW CONFIDENCE FORECAST IN

ITSELF, AND SINCE THEIR SOLUTION OCCASIONALLY BREACHES THE 00Z

GLOBAL ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE ENVELOPE WITH THE SURFACE LOW TRACK (TO

THE WEST). THIS SYSTEM HAS BEEN MARKED AS A CANDIDATE FOR

ATLANTIC TARGETED OBSERVATIONS/SHORT RANGE WINTER WEATHER

RECONNAISSANCE. SEE OUR QPF AND WINTER WEATHER

PRODUCTS/DISCUSSIONS FOR MORE DETAILS ON THE PRECIPITATION

POTENTIAL OF THIS SYSTEM.

...MODEL TREND GRAPHICS AT

WWW.HPC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV/HTML/MODEL2.SHTML...

...500 MB FORECASTS AT

WWW.HPC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV/H5PREF/H5PREF.SHTML...

15z SREFs have area in 0.25+ QPF in 24 hr QPF at hr 63... there is some 0.50-0.75 fill across N VA/DC/C MD and S MD which leads me to believe some of the individual members have better solutions for our area

Re: 2m temps, SREFs show that the temp is prob 33/34 at 42 hrs and 32 in DCA by hr 48.. but rises back into the mid 30s after... and back to below freezing by hr 57 with some individual members of the SREF showing snow still falling. 

Archived