joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting an ASOS to stay below 1/4 SM is tough to do. Plus they don't report instantaneous visibility but a 10-minute harmonic mean which in theory should help keep the reported visibility lower than it actually is. Probably why so few blizzard warnings ever verify.

They should just make the criteria 1/4SM or less for unaugmented ASOS obs. Like you said, M1/4SM being automatically reported is rare even in the heaviest snows.

Box 7pm update... spectacular:

7 PM update... Numerous thunder snow reports coming in as the heavier bands parent with the deepening low move inland. Have gathered tens of reports of increasing snowfall amounts in white-out conditions with increasing east-northeasterly gusts around 40 to 50 miles per hour along the east/S shoreline and coastal plain of New England. The low is undergoing massive deepening at this present time... and the impressive bombing consequential of the initial stages of phasing is lending to strong dynamical lift of deep layer moisture resulting in increasing snowfall rates around 3 inches an hour. Areal coverage and intensity of snowfall will continue. Rain across Nantucket should transition back over to snow over the next couple of hours. Reports are greatly appreciated. Follow US on twitter...or friend US on facebook. Pictures greatly welcomed. You can also submit a storm report via out webpage at erh.NOAA.Gov/box. 

My lot is bordered by trees but clear in the middle. Probably 100' from where i measure.

Lucky...I'm on the north side of my hill so anything NNW-NNE makes me prone to stronger gusts. I've been frequently gusting 25mph+ in the last 15mins. That obviously pales in comparison to SNE right now.

Archived