• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9th Storm Banter

Baroclinic Zone

I'm curious if that has to do with how the GFS/GEFS handle convection versus the NAM, Euro and SREFs. I would think yes, but we'll know come verification time.

It might. But it's also probably good to keep in mind that the NAM is a little whacky, the SREF's have been horrible this year, and the GFS on the other hand has been pretty good. I just plain don't understand the late explosion just after the min-loop on the Euro... possible, but not a feature to bank on.

I feel like for widespread 2 foot-plus amounts, you need the longer duration of heavy stuff that the GFS just isn't showing. I'm not saying it's right, but that it should at least be given a good amount of weight.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Product of their further east track...but its coming back west again. If you recall when the GFS had a further west track yesterday, it was spitting out the 2.5" qpf totals.

Yes, but also you just don't see those one or two explosive frames that the Euro and NAM have been hinting at for Saturday when the GFS seems to wind things down.

yea I'm currently stationed in a motel on Marlboro, big parking lot, should be fun to watch I'm so excited to be part of this

Seriously, for a truly unique experience you should go to Boston.  I mean what the hell are you going to do in Marlboro besides say yup that's a sh*tload of snow all right.  A walk around downtown ripping horizontally is something you'll always remember OTOH

Yes, but also you just don't see those one or two explosive frames that the Euro and NAM have been hinting at for Saturday when the GFS seems to wind things down.

The GFS and other similar solutions like the GGEM are not really deepening the 5h low as rapidly as the Euro and some of the meso models. I would prob lean prettty heavily on the Euro in this setup as it is a very nice compromise between the non-hydrostatic, uber hi res models and the lower res global models. Euro has a hi res, but also some ability to be more consistent than a hi res NAM.

The phase is quite mesoscale in nature and not a larger scale phase like we might normally see in a big storm...so I do have some skepticism in leaning too hard on the globals minus the Euro in this setup. That said, I also wouldn't go around forecasting 45 inches of snow based on some of these NAM runs.

Seriously, for a truly unique experience you should go to Boston.  I mean what the hell are you going to do in Marlboro besides say yup that's a sh*tload of snow all right.  A walk around downtown ripping horizontally is something you'll always remember OTOH

True, I mean how big of a difference in winds am I realistically looking at being in Marlboro instead of Boston

It's uncanny how the folks in GC always are convinced that they'll be on the outside looking in for these huge bombs yet always manage to get completely owned by deform bands. Every single time the GC folks are so nervous about every shift and tickle left or right but inevitably they get the deform.

Maybe this will be the storm that the deform just misses them to the east but I highly doubt it lol.

How they forget how far west some of these set up as they bank up against the foothills

True, I mean how big of a difference in winds am I realistically looking at being in Marlboro instead of Boston

Are you on Rt 20 near 495 there? Thats kind of up on a hill. You'll prob get pretty good winds there.

Right on the water in BOS would prob see stuff that is 20mph harder, but downtown maybe would see 10-15mph higher winds? Not sure.

It's uncanny how the folks in GC always are convinced that they'll be on the outside looking in for these huge bombs yet always manage to get completely owned by deform bands. Every single time the GC folks are so nervous about every shift and tickle left or right but inevitably they get the deform.

Maybe this will be the storm that the deform just misses them to the east but I highly doubt it lol.

They got whiffed in November...also in the Dec '09 storm.

Nobdy in SNE is getting shutout though in this. That has been obvious for days now, despite MPM's QPF fear fetish.

The GFS and other similar solutions like the GGEM are not really deepening the 5h low as rapidly as the Euro and some of the meso models. I would prob lean prettty heavily on the Euro in this setup as it is a very nice compromise between the non-hydrostatic, uber hi res models and the lower res global models. Euro has a hi res, but also some ability to be more consistent than a hi res NAM.

The phase is quite mesoscale in nature and not a larger scale phase like we might normally see in a big storm...so I do have some skepticism in leaning too hard on the globals minus the Euro in this setup. That said, I also wouldn't go around forecasting 45 inches of snow based on some of these NAM runs.

There have been enough runs on enough models of 3+qpf, that if I were forecasting I might say a general 15-30 inch snow storm with isolated amounts around 3 feet.

Wouldn't wanna live on the Rehoboth back roads off 44,  trees will be down, no power feet of snow.

Seems like Rehoboth roads are always a disaster after every severe weather event....Flooding, bridges out, trees, power lines.  Don't know what it is about that town.  Every town has trees and bridges, yet theirs always seems to get hit worse.  Their cops sure do love to set up speed traps on 44 though.......

Are you on Rt 20 near 495 there? Thats kind of up on a hill. You'll prob get pretty good winds there.

Right on the water in BOS would prob see stuff that is 20mph harder, but downtown maybe would see 10-15mph higher winds? Not sure.

Who wants to come to Top of the Hub with me for drinks?!

the gfs always looked odd with this system.  seeing the euro and its ensemble mean come west last night sealed it for me

Yup.  I think the NAM is off it's rocker to a degree but it's not too far off from the Euro in the SE MA area wrt to qpf.

I think the GFS qpf totals will bump up this afternoon/evening runs.

Is that far from me on Rt 20? I have no clue where I am lol, but I'd possibly come out 2night for a pre-storm pregame. 

Top of the Hub is on the 52nd floor of the prudential tower in the Back Bay area of  Boston. I wouldn't be going there tonight. It would be tomorrow night if I made the trek.

Is that far from me on Rt 20? I have no clue where I am lol, but I'd possibly come out 2night for a pre-storm pregame. 

Good luck to you from Philly forum. I think think you're about to have the experience of a lifetime. Almost left yesterday, but my wife talked me out of it. Will be looking forward to your reports.

Archived