• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9th Storm Banter

Baroclinic Zone

So. I need some help. Apparently this ****ing hobby has gone and ****ed me over.

My CFO just dropped by. Usually he asks my thoughts, and I tell him, and somehow he's come to rely more on my information than on TV mets etc.

Today, he told me he's scheduled me for a 3 PM meeting with our entire VP suite. To present on the weather.

They're gonna want information by which to make a decision on closing the office or not tomorrow.

As much as I'd like to get all doom and gloom on them and get myself the day off, being correct is more important to me. I don't think things get serious until afternoon. But my real dilemma is when does the heavier stuff come in and start mucking up traffic.

I'm thinking we can get the workday in before that, possibly with an early release around 3 or 3:30 to beat the rush and the heavier stuff. Can I get some input on that?

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So. I need some help. Apparently this ****ing hobby has gone and ****ed me over.

My CFO just dropped by. Usually he asks my thoughts, and I tell him, and somehow he's come to rely more on my information than on TV mets etc.

Today, he told me he's scheduled me for a 3 PM meeting with our entire VP suite. To present on the weather.

They're gonna want information by which to make a decision on closing the office or not tomorrow.

As much as I'd like to get all doom and gloom on them and get myself the day off, being correct is more important to me. I don't think things get serious until afternoon. But my real dilemma is when does the heavier stuff come in and start mucking up traffic.

I'm thinking we can get the workday in before that, possibly with an early release around 3 or 3:30 to beat the rush and the heavier stuff. Can I get some input on that?

That's funny...What a nightmare!  You're fooked either way.  Tell them noon or 1.  Then call in sick in the morning

School districts have a potentially tough decision for tomorrow....What's people's thoughts on school closings/early dismissals?  I'm guessing they could go full day here, but it obviously depends on when the snow starts/intensity.

Assuming something like the EURO, the GFS, or the new NAM verifies, schools will close down here, even if it was going to change to rain Stamford Public Schools is paranoid about snow, they did early dismissal for the 1" that we got a week or so ago...

-skisheep

I am in the exact same boat.

I've busted before and there's real money riding on this.

You're screwed either way :) But I would close, it's better to bust than to keep it open and then have people getting stuck/injured in the commute home. Better safe than sorry is important, especially when dealing with the type of conditions that we are dealing with here.

-skisheep

To keep the other thread clear.

Nam had a good handle on the northern rain band. By 18z today the euro will seemingly have a good handle on the situation. Very hard , did the nam just fall into one of those loops because of the northern precip shield? Latent heat release or whatever causing the track to be skewed?

Beats me. But what a pita for forecasters to figure out. It's either right because it picked up on the northern extent first, or wrong because of the same reason. Heh

The worst case scenario, and I think this happened in the 78 blizzard in CT/MA and it happened here a couple years ago, is when people go to work and get stranded on the way home.  There are 2 factors which combine to make this happen.  1. The snow starts earlier than expected and comes down in a quick burst.  2.  Everyone who was going to leave work a little later per the forecast races out all at once. So now you have a rush hour in a snowstorm.  Lesser factor is that when your have a storm that starts later in the day, you have many drivers who would never venture voluntarily out in a storm go to work and are all of a sudden are out there with little confidence/experience.  (More of a factor here, but still somewhat of a  factor there).

If I were in your "no-win" shoes, I would suggest a range of closing to be finalized tomorrow.  i.e. noon-3.  If anyone is set up to telecommute, they should be urged to choose to do that as well.

I don't mean to intrude on your thread since I'm only about 1,000 miles south of your area, but I have to say that it's absolutely awesome to see the enthusiasm of you guys as you prepare to see almost as much snow in one storm as I've seen in my whole life!  Those of us in the SE will sit back and watch (with just a hint of envy) as the real-time obs start rolling in tomorrow evening.  Looking forward to hanging out in your forum over the next 2 days.  Hope the anticipated totals work out for all of you.  :snowing: 

The use of three letters NAM in any context should be deleted. I think the banter thread has better input then the moderated pinned. Cut the QPF in half as depicted, add .50 for the loop to which will occur. Presto chango we get 2-2.3" of 15:1 is loli's to 3'   This place goes nuts!

Brett,

Do not cancel or early dismiss. 

Everything is shifted up a couple hours here, but I was asked the same thing by the UMass EM and advocated for opening and then early dismissal.  UMass may be closed by the governors office however which would make it a moot point.  As usual, a lot more pressure in the private sector.

Everything is shifted up a couple hours here, but I was asked the same thing by the UMass EM and advocated for opening and then early dismissal.  UMass may be closed by the governors office however which would make it a moot point.  As usual, a lot more pressure in the private sector.

Yeah. I'm gonna start off by reminding them that I have zero formal education on the subject and that in the event of a decision being viewed as poor on their part, I shall be held harmless.

Can I have an orange tag for the day? To counteract the negative effects of the stress?

I got caught once in this situation for my employer a couple of years ago.  No met background, just a solid interest in met and forecasting, with an understanding of models and inputs, other considerations.

The easiest option, if available, is to encourage EVERYONE capable of telecommuting to do so.  Go ahead and postpone any important meetings until next week.  Set the office up so that it's easy for them to pull the trigger to close when the conditions are just preliminary to hazardous.

The early morning timing is everything.  Cancel if you've got snow on the ground upon wake up--it's only getting worse.  Otherwise, cancel and send everyone home once a dusting is on the ground.

My 0.02.

Maybe tell them when it comes down hard, it will be too late to close early, and that will be sometime tomorrow afternoon, and nobody knows precisely when  that will be. There's a good chance there will be a few light inches before tomorrow afternoon, and that could make it even worse when the heavy stuff happens.

Tough call on what to tell your employer. Its going to be snowing almost all day tomorrow, but the really heavy stuff will probably not come in until between 3-6pm.

The best idea is probably just to not even bother with work tomorrow if at all possible. An early dismissal will prob invite getting a lot of people stuck in a traffic nightmare as I imagine other companies/schools/etc will probably try to get in a half day and have people leaving early.

Archived