• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 8-9th Storm Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Figured I would share this with you all, my higher ed web association friend and kinda weather geek Georgy from Boston emailed me this:

"Hey, can you please tell my friend that driving from Syracuse to Boston, leaving Friday noon, is a really ****ing stupid idea and that it doesn't matter if she has an SUV? She thinks it's not going to be a big deal."

Gotta love some people with no understanding of weather. 

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty well actually. Side roads will prob be a disaster for a while if there's widespread 20"+ but the main roads are usually pretty clear within 12-24 hours.

I've found CT is more of an issue...I-84 can be ugly a day or two after a big storm...though perhaps they have gotten better. I experienced it a few times back in '09.

yeah CT can be horrible, friday night commute on 95 is going to be a nightmare. Thank god for Metro North...

-skisheep

You can get fairly cheap motel/hotel rooms out toward ORH in the Marlborough area right at I-495/Rt 20 junction or Westborough on Rt 9 west of 495. Should be able to get something for 40-50$

If you want a bit closer to BOS, try looking into Framingham, still should have some reasonable prices there.

You can get fairly cheap motel/hotel rooms out toward ORH in the Marlborough area right at I-495/Rt 20 junction or Westborough on Rt 9 west of 495. Should be able to get something for 40-50$

If you want a bit closer to BOS, try looking into Framingham, still should have some reasonable prices there.

Thanks! Got a room at the Holiday Inn and Suites in MArlborough. $69 a night. Worth $150 bucks to see this bomb I think.

Sweet, I'll be just to the south of you in Southborough. Flying out to see my folks tomorrow night... this is a storm that I'd never get to see in Michigan.

Thanks! Got a room at the Holiday Inn and Suites in MArlborough. $69 a night. Worth $150 bucks to see this bomb I think.

yeah CT can be horrible, friday night commute on 95 is going to be a nightmare. Thank god for Metro North...

-skisheep

In my experience CT DOT does a great job compared to some of the broke local towns.  They recently switched to 100% salt and have begun pretreating a few years ago.  Metro North will fail badly once the pack gets over a foot...I know from experience!  CT also recently purchased some of these bad boys:

post-661-0-33945400-1360187222_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-03648200-1360187225_thumb.jpg

In my experience CT DOT does a great job compared to some of the broke local towns. They recently switched to 100% salt and have begun pretreating a few years ago. Metro North will fail badly once the pack gets over a foot...I know from experience! CT also recently purchased some of these bad boys:

Yea the new double wingers really open the roads well

I've found CT is more of an issue...I-84 can be ugly a day or two after a big storm...though perhaps they have gotten better. I experienced it a few times back in '09.

I think that the CTDOT does a good job with snow removal on eastern section of I-84 from my area to the Holland/Union line. To be fair it's a large 3 lane highway in each direction, and it's in a very rural area of Connecticut. A large portion of the highway is at elevations of 800-1,000' which means snow on the roadway when other parts of the state are raining.

Hey guys posting from a reststop, i booked a hotel in marlborough ma, didnt like the 18z gfs centering the heaviest SE of where ill be, but even then Id get 2' of snow. How does marlborough usually run for snowstorms?

Marlborough is kinda hilly in spots so you might get some slight orographic enhancement. For some reason Hudson next door typically doesn't do NEARLY as well, but Milford to the south tends to do a little better. Where are you coming up from?

Archived