Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
December 27/28 Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAm look a bit SE to anyone?

NAM is playing catch up trending colder and SE getting better for me and you.. still not good for our area, lets hope GFS holds ground or even trends colder, I fully expect NAM to keep on trending.. This has the potential to surprise many, as its not really being talked about in our area. If there are any trends back NW its game over for us.

It looks like ALY is thinking big time sleet contamination here in the Berkshires and they're riding the warmer NAM. Their map also doesn't match up well with BOX either. I'm thinking a colder solution for this area, provided today's data doesn't trend warmer. 06Z GFS still has me snow at 12Z Thursday, and looks to keep me snow for the duration of the event, albeit barely at the height of it. Merry Christmas everyone!

StormTotalSnowWebFcst.png

I think that will bust--and I don't htink I'm wishcasting.

Oh man the 12z NAM is full on pants tent up here. Wow. That strong ESE flow is going to crush us on the immediate east slope of the Spine.

Resolution isn't high enough but I think on a much smaller grid we'd look similar to the east slopes of the Adirondacks.

That long duration easterly flow is going to do some big time crush jobs on east facing slopes.

A very pretty sight. Per Mitch's post above, I htink the contamination issues will be less than what Albany's currently thinking (not sure what Box's thoughts are yet).

lol at all the various thoughts depending on where posters are... NAM looks awesome, NAM looks like crap, NAM looks colder and more snow, NAM is warmer and quicker change over, NAM looks odd, Its definitely SE and colder, etc.

I'll jump on that train and say that it looks like the NW extent of the freezing 850 has come SE. I think it still sneaks past me for a three hours or so, but even that's close.

I'm not sure what the status is with temps above that. But, I think it's an improvement for northern Mass areas (and clearly above there's not an issue).

If anyone cares to text me a summary of temps and qpf placement for the rest of the 12z suite, please do--and thanks. 207-798-0799.

The center of the storm aloft on the NAM are certainly more south. It seems to be due to the fact the northern energy is weaker on this run. It just doesn't have much effect on the temperatures aloft, they still bake. Going to need a lot more than that to get snow further south. The prolonged onshore winds looking at those isobars is really a disaster for the coast unfortunately.

The center of the storm aloft on the NAM are certainly more south. It seems to be due to the fact the northern energy is weaker on this run. It just doesn't have much effect on the temperatures aloft, they still bake. Going to need a lot more than that to get snow further south. The prolonged onshore winds looking at those isobars is really a disaster for the coast unfortunately.

Good post, the easterly fetch is brutal, this is potentially a damaging storm for the coast, with extremely serious impacts in western Long Island Sound, many beach communities are naked right now, totally exposed, this will be an impressive coastal flooding event down this way.

I'll jump on that train and say that it looks like the NW extent of the freezing 850 has come SE. I think it still sneaks past me for a three hours or so, but even that's close.

I'm not sure what the status is with temps above that. But, I think it's an improvement for northern Mass areas (and clearly above there's not an issue).

If anyone cares to text me a summary of temps and qpf placement for the rest of the 12z suite, please do--and thanks. 207-798-0799.

S NH stays AOB freezing for the duration or nudges to pingers for a time? Opinion?

NAM is playing catch up trending colder and SE getting better for me and you.. still not good for our area, lets hope GFS holds ground or even trends colder, I fully expect NAM to keep on trending.. This has the potential to surprise many, as its not really being talked about in our area. If there are any trends back NW its game over for us.

Well I'll never be all snow but snow to sig ice seems highly likely

lol at all the various thoughts depending on where posters are... NAM looks awesome, NAM looks like crap, NAM looks colder and more snow, NAM is warmer and quicker change over, NAM looks odd, Its definitely SE and colder, etc.

I live in fort laudrdale but coming to stowe on saturday so missing the event but reaping the benefits so all is not lost. Same thing goes on at the tropical forums as the winter...posters location often dictates posters forecast, ha..its all good....i hope everyone gets crushed but i need MHT to receive my flight friday night. The 30th storm looks south so hoping for something next week, plenty of cold air in place which is a nice change from previous weeks.

NAM is SN to PL to SN here. High impact event although the sleet would cut down on overly epic totals given the amount of QPF being spewed. We're finally beginning to see warm layers aloft in the H8-H7 layer.

Brian what is your sense of how this will play out given storms like this in the past? Seems like we are on the edge between a nice heay 8-12 inch storm followed by sleet or a 12-18+ storm. Does the NAM play out too warm up here usually vs. the Euro?

Archived