• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
December 27/28 Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

Great map, I'd probably add another 14-18" sliver in favored areas of Vermont given upslope.

Yeah, I didn't get hyper local on that map...I'd probably add it near Stowe on the east slope of the greens, and maybe from your way up through Walden. And maybe another little spot from Burke northward into Newark.

Also wouldn't surprise me if St. J got like 9", while you get like 14"+ lol

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like for the forecast here...the 12z NAM is still the warm outlier, though it did cool off enough to give about 4" on the front. The GFS looks like about 8-10" and the Ukie/GGEM are similar, but even a hair colder.

I was actually how surprised how cold the RGEM was. Usually that model can be amped and warm, but it wasn't at 12z. Pretty nasty forecast here.

I have to worry....it's my nature when it comes to snow. But seriously, if you are 2+ on the GFS then I am probabaly at least 1.75. That is the Euro, NAM and GFS that are 1.5-2+. That is the best consistent qpf signal I remember seeing across several models. Suggests a very high upside for someone, probably near you or the foothills ne of me. Overall the qpf would seem to indicate a 12-24 range depending upon whether we mix. Wouldn't you think good ratios for at least half the storm? The antecedant cold is not bad. If we get a good deform band late in the storm that would improve ratios.

Also sustained 20-25 with gusts to 40 or 45 is borderline blizzard conditions. We are right on the edge of a storm close to Jan 2011. Fingers crossed.

You think I'll taint in Thornton?

Pretty pathetic to most folks, but you guys can prolly understand it's these systems that convinced me to take out a mortgage on my house and build the cabin.

Yeah, I didn't get hyper local on that map...I'd probably add it near Stowe on the east slope of the greens, and maybe from your way up through Walden. And maybe another little spot from Burke northward into Newark.

Also wouldn't surprise me if St. J got like 9", while you get like 14"+ lol

Yes, I could totally see that differential happening, especially if you add in upslope. It may even be a wider disparity if you add in upslope, in fact BTV did not even depict Thursday night upslope in their totals and we could see another 3-6" from that. Sorry you are not up here for this one, but I sense there will be others this winter given the nice pattern that is setting up.

Latest thoughts.

Agreed whole-heartedly for up here.

The kicker for us to get more is what happens with that banding on the NW side. 12z GFS continues to show that lingering band mixed with upslope NW flow on the backside. You can see the last couple QPF panels linger that 0.1-0.25" around northern VT, so that's the NW flow signal.

Otherwise, widespread 8-14" with the 8" in the downslope areas of NEK and the 14" on the east slope of the Spine up and down the RT 100 corridor.

Agreed whole-heartedly for up here.

The kicker for us to get more is what happens with that banding on the NW side. 12z GFS continues to show that lingering band mixed with upslope NW flow on the backside. You can see the last couple QPF panels linger that 0.1-0.25" around northern VT, so that's the NW flow signal.

Otherwise, widespread 8-14" with the 8" in the downslope areas of NEK and the 14" on the east slope of the Spine up and down the RT 100 corridor.

Did i ever tell you how much i like the color cerise.............lol

Archived