gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
December 27/28 Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe you are talking about SNE but Chris (OceanWX) from the GYX office thought the snow growth layer looked good and that ratios would be good.

Ratios won't be that great if we see that much warming aloft. Mid levels seem to be trending warmer, but I haven't looked at a lot this morning.

Nothing shows that. Not even close

The NWS says otherwise:

PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS/...

WINTER STORM WATCH FOR CENTRAL/WESTERN PORTIONS OF NEW ENGLAND...

EXPECTING SNOW AMOUNTS AROUND 10 INCHES WITHIN THE WATCH...

MINOR ICING UP TO 0.25 INCHES AROUND THE MA TURNPIKE...

RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS AROUND 1.25 INCHES FOR E/SE NEW ENGLAND...

Granted we are not Eastern New England, but we are not north/west enough to stay all snow either. My guess is a nice dose of 35F rain that washes away all of the snow. Yuck.

LOCATIONS...ULSTER AND DUTCHESS COUNTIES IN EASTERN NEW YORK AND LITCHFIELD COUNTY IN NORTHWESTERN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...MODERATE TO HEAVY AMOUNTS OF SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...A MODERATE TO HEAVY ACCUMULATION OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCRETION IS POSSIBLE ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY AS WELL.

Pretty much in line with my thinking and that is specific to the three southern counties

GFS is going to be pretty meh south of the Pike.

Last night I said a few inches of snow to sleet and freezing rain for inland CT and I still think that's a pretty good call. Watch for sneaky warm layers that roll in with that kind of track.

Spiking ball awfully early. Euro was colder. let's see what Euro does before spiking

12z GFS big dump up here, Looks like it has shifted a couple ticks NW

look like a changeover? Euro is 1.5+ for both of us I think and NAM was 2+?. GFS in that same ballpark? I'm hoping heavy rates can cool the column and stave off the sleet. Allow a little sleet wouldn't be bad for the base building. The NW ticks are a little scary

look like a changeover? Euro is 1.5+ for both of us I think and NAM was 2+?. GFS in that same ballpark? I'm hoping heavy rates can cool the column and stave off the sleet. Allow a little sleet wouldn't be bad for the base building. The NW ticks are a little scary

Not to worried mark, We may still see these subtle shifts until up to the event

Just a few days ago this was mostly a rain event for a lot of folks

Yeah but that's apples and oranges. We're within 36 hours of the storm's onset and we've really locked in the track.

I posted yesterday with a track like this places along and south of the Pike are playing with fire. A small jog west and we're in a lot of trouble. No real room for error with a storm that's inland over NJ. We introduce all sorts of issues into the equation including dry slotting, a warming boundary layer, and plenty of mid level taint.

This to me looks like a 3-6 kind of deal at the most for N CT.... with a weenie band of 6-10 to the north over the Rt 2 corridor in Mass?

Archived