wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
December 27/28 Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but that's apples and oranges. We're within 36 hours of the storm's onset and we've really locked in the track.

I posted yesterday with a track like this places along and south of the Pike are playing with fire. A small jog west and we're in a lot of trouble. No real room for error with a storm that's inland over NJ. We introduce all sorts of issues into the equation including dry slotting, a warming boundary layer, and plenty of mid level taint.

This to me looks like a 3-6 kind of deal at the most for N CT.... with a weenie band of 6-10 to the north over the Rt 2 corridor in Mass?

Is that why I have a wsw for 4-8? ;)

Yeah but that's apples and oranges. We're within 36 hours of the storm's onset and we've really locked in the track.

I posted yesterday with a track like this places along and south of the Pike are playing with fire. A small jog west and we're in a lot of trouble. No real room for error with a storm that's inland over NJ. We introduce all sorts of issues into the equation including dry slotting, a warming boundary layer, and plenty of mid level taint.

This to me looks like a 3-6 kind of deal at the most for N CT.... with a weenie band of 6-10 to the north over the Rt 2 corridor in Mass?

The comment was really made because some were disappointed by the snow totals it looks like they will receive when a few days ago this was all going down the catch basin

Not to worried mark, We may still see these subtle shifts until up to the event

I have to worry....it's my nature when it comes to snow. But seriously, if you are 2+ on the GFS then I am probabaly at least 1.75. That is the Euro, NAM and GFS that are 1.5-2+. That is the best consistent qpf signal I remember seeing across several models. Suggests a very high upside for someone, probably near you or the foothills ne of me. Overall the qpf would seem to indicate a 12-24 range depending upon whether we mix. Wouldn't you think good ratios for at least half the storm? The antecedant cold is not bad. If we get a good deform band late in the storm that would improve ratios.

Also sustained 20-25 with gusts to 40 or 45 is borderline blizzard conditions. We are right on the edge of a storm close to Jan 2011. Fingers crossed.

We've entered the lazy part of the XMass day after presents and before dinner ...

Merry Christmas to all!

Well, what do we have here ... It appears that lacking some intensity is problematic here for those that prefer a white solution. This system doesn't make it much below 990mb at deepest pass, and the 538-type DM height core is also fairly midland in, intensity. If there is a "high impact" anything from this system, it may come from its origin being deep S, so it will pull some decent PWAT air along with it - moderate intensity in an anomalous PWAT, yeah, could be good for 10-14" for all that remain snow.

If this thing was strong in the mid levels, there is definitely close enough to marginal that it would overcome and probably collapse the column as the low went by underneath. Just doesn't seem the models are indicating as much dynamical processing of the atmosphere.

That said ... I still have a feeling that with the 500mb vort track squarely S of the region, there is some room for hope/nowcast surprises here.

I did see the Euro run from 00z and it appeared actually to be more favorable than the NAM/GFS blend - which, looking NWS' winter storm watch layout, it appears they must be going with the latter. We shall see....

I tell you what though, if the fields verify like the NAM/GFS blend this is pretty much opening a wound and pouring salt directly into it for the winter weather enthusiasts being so patient through last year, and so far, suffering a disappointing run up to XMas when originallly the month's vision might have had more promise. Peace.

The comment was really made because some were disappointed by the snow totals it looks like they will receive when a few days ago this was all going down the catch basin

oh lol I gotcha. Yeah it looks like a thump and I think people in N CT can reasonably expect a bit of snow. If it's 1-3 or 3-6 I'm not sure yet.

Im thinking about 75% of the QPF around here is going to fall as snow. That first 6 hours is hellecious. We'll likely dryslot pretty quick after we flip to IP/ZR, Could be a decent snowfall gradient from south of the pike to around Princeton.

Yeah Will it appears that that's where the gradient will set up with mid level warmth.

I have to worry....it's my nature when it comes to snow. But seriously, if you are 2+ on the GFS then I am probabaly at least 1.75. That is the Euro, NAM and GFS that are 1.5-2+. That is the best consistent qpf signal I remember seeing across several models. Suggests a very high upside for someone, probably near you or the foothills ne of me. Overall the qpf would seem to indicate a 12-24 range depending upon whether we mix. Wouldn't you think good ratios for at least half the storm? The antecedant cold is not bad. If we get a good deform band late in the storm that would improve ratios.

Also sustained 20-25 with gusts to 40 or 45 is borderline blizzard conditions. We are right on the edge of a storm close to Jan 2011. Fingers crossed.

Even if we are at 9-10:1 its a big dump if we don't end up pinging some, My 1st call is gong to be in the 10-14" range i am thinking until i see the rest of the 12z suite

This storm has major bust potential on either side, ticks se and its much snowier, at the same time a little further west and those east winds will just torch the mid levels and BL pretty far inland with that fetch.

Tough call for the pros.

What are SSTS running at, probably will play a huge role in this storm.

Im thinking about 75% of the QPF around here is going to fall as snow. That first 6 hours is hellecious. We'll likely dryslot pretty quick after we flip to IP/ZR, Could be a decent snowfall gradient from south of the pike to around Princeton.

I have a bit more latitude than even Princeton, so I should do ok, despite the BL eventually going to crap.

This storm has major bust potential on either side, ticks se and its much snowier, at the same time a little further west and those east winds will just torch the mid levels and BL pretty far inland with that fetch.

Tough call for the pros.

What are SSTS running at, probably will play a huge role in this storm.

45ish in LIS

Archived